site check + Validation problems

  • Eugene Donaghy
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
      HI I have finally got the website with adequite java script replacements
      only thing is How can I get the footer to validate properly bit stumped

      http:\\www.eugenemdonaghy.me.uk

      TIA

      Eugene
    • G8IFF/KC8NHF
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
        ALL your <script> </noscript> tags fail validation. It's not just the
        footer.
        I don't see why you've used script for what are really just simple
        hyperlinks, and the drop down menu can be done in CSS.

        If I were to rewrite your front page I would remove javascript completely.

        Eugene Donaghy wrote:
        > HI I have finally got the website with adequite java script replacements
        > only thing is How can I get the footer to validate properly bit stumped
        >
        > http:\\www.eugenemdonaghy.me.uk
        >
        > TIA
        >
        > Eugene

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
          Hi Eugene,
          To get noscript to validate, you need some tags inside the noscript, like a <p> or a <div>.
          Just like you've done it the dropdown menu.

          Noscript needs to be totally independant of the script, with it's own tags (to validate).
          <noscript>
          </noscript>

          As you have a <p> around some of the script + noscript at the moment, these would have to be separated.
          You could put the <p>s in the script.

          In your "utilities.js" you're using it to stop spammers finding your email, but giving it away in your noscript.
          I would think this would still result in sp@m as they maybe searching for "mailto:" plus other things.
          Spambots will interrogate your site and read this regardless.

          Do you love this site? isn't going to work in the noscript, as you've missed out your email :-)
          I usually have Javascript disabled in one of my browsers (FF or Opera are easiest to do) so when you check it with other browsers, you can see the noscript version.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
            Hi Eugene,
            Correction:
            Do you love this site?
            will work, as I read it wrong :-)

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
              Hi Eugene,
              Change the © to © in the footer.

              The wife called me for dinner as I wrote the last message, so I got side-tracked.