Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Web Forms

  • Nigel G8IFF/KC8NHF
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 12:17 AM
      Yyou can't do what you need just in HTML.
      You need a script, written in PHP, PERL, ASP or similar, to run on your
      server to generate and send the e-mail.
      There are several free form emailer scripts on the web. See:

      http://www.bellonline.co.uk/web-services/free/scripts/php-mailer-script/
      http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/secure-php-form-mailer-script/
      http://www.scn.org/~bb615/scripts/sendform.html
      http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html

      Trinity Chi wrote:
      > I am fairly new to web development. I have had difficulty with writing web
      > forms that will arrive to my inbox. I have used both Macromedia and Namo to
      > facilitate my needs as well as a simple script code. The issue I continue
      > to have.... I cannot create a form that will send to me without using the
      > form user's email account like Outlook or Outlook Express. I also would
      > like the form once submitted to direct the user to a thank you/confirmation
      > page. If anyone could help me out with this I would really appreciate it!
      > Thank you!
      > -Trinity

    • Maria Marsala, Small Business Strategist
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 11:52 AM
        First, see if your hosting company offers "Fantastico" in your control
        panel. This is a series of plug ins, for everything from forms, to bulletin
        boards, to ezine service providers, to help support features, that take a
        minute to upload to your server.

        If you don't have that, then I use PHP List which is free to add to your
        server. However----
        1) you have to remove or fix all the redundant code on the form1.html
        2) you need to add an index.html file to the folder for safety.

        If you go to www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com/sitemap/ you can click on the
        forms and see how it works. However, please don't hit "submit"!

        Plan ahead and profit tomorrow,
        Maria Marsala

        Business & marketing strategist, trainer,
        author, and former Wall Street Trader
        Is business good, but you want GREAT? Women who
        own micro, small to mid-size services companies
        are boosting their profits and productivity at
        http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com
        Join them today.
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 12:51 PM
          I always like to introduce a bit of laughter:
          http://www.circlecity.co.uk/editor/
          The only thing that some may object to is the php image that generates the security number, as this would stop visually impaired surfers using it.

          It has a swear filter (the hard stuff) and a spam filter (bans any hard links, porn etc).
          Various stuff to stop it being used to send other people's spam.
          The routines are common to all inputs to my site.

          Try it out if you want.
          Regards, Bob Exton.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3 6:22 PM
            Trinity Chi wrote:
            > Thank you Bob for getting back to me. Yes I do have PHP and I think ASP
            > installed on my server but I have no idea what to do with that. My host is
            > Yahoo and they have never been much help. Can you direct me to a link that
            > might help me out?
            > Thank you,
            > Trinity

            The core PHP documentation is here:

            http://www.php.net/

            BUT knowing what to do with that site requires some knowledge of how to
            write software. If you've done any Javascript programming, then it'll
            be somewhat easier. If not, you'll need a lot of help.

            Searching Google for 'PHP tutorial' should bring up some useful links.

            I'm one of the few PHP gurus on this list (only guru?). Be sure to run
            whatever you develop by us people on the list so we can point out
            critical issues like security holes.

            PHP is a serious programming language. And it will take time (and
            patience) to understand and get used to.

            Ph: 517-803-4197

            *NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1
            Get on task. Stay on task.

            http://www.CubicleSoft.com/MyTaskFocus/
          • Maria Marsala, Small Business Strategist
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4 2:06 AM
              Correction: The program I use for forms is PHP Forms Generator, not PHP
              List (which is a very good ezine list program)

              The link is http://phpformgen.sourceforge.net/

              You can see how a form could look by going to:
              http://www.elevatingyourbusiness.com/session/use/PowerHour/form1.html