Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] To www or not?

  • Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/KC8NHF
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2007
      www is the name of the server.
      My provider assumes www if it is omitted but that's not necessarily the
      case.

      Bob wrote:
      > Hi,
      >

      > I thought the absence of www was just something done in the server configuration to save visitors typing it.
      > Regards, Bob Exton.

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Nigel,

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2007
          Hi Bob.

          My "main" site is http://ngunn.net or http://www.ngunn.net (It's hosted
          by www.oneandone.co.uk) I suppose technically it is www.ngunn.net but
          any "server name" that it doesn't recognise also goes there.

          I also have http://mkdivided.ngunn.net http://mapleleaf.ngunn.net
          http://weightloss.ngunn.net
          which point to directories below my root directory and behave as
          seperate servers.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2007
            Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/KC8NHF wrote:
            > Hi Bob.
            >
            > My "main" site is http://ngunn.net or http://www.ngunn.net (It's hosted
            > by www.oneandone.co.uk) I suppose technically it is www.ngunn.net but
            > any "server name" that it doesn't recognise also goes there.
            >
            > I also have http://mkdivided.ngunn.net http://mapleleaf.ngunn.net
            > http://weightloss.ngunn.net
            > which point to directories below my root directory and behave as
            > seperate servers.

            Those are virtual hosts on the same web server. You seem to be
            moderately confused as to how DNS and HTTP/1.1 operate. You _can_ map
            subdomains (including www.) to other IP addresses, but most people don't
            (since HTTP/1.1 came out). Usually subdomains are DNS A records but
            sometimes they are CNAME records (MX records have to point at A records
            - kind of found that out the hard way).

            Ph: 517-803-4197

            *NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.5
            Change tracking and management tool.
            Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

            http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/