makeign a banner

  • Pammie
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 9, 2006
      I am making a banner and having a time of it.
      I do voluneeter work on a web site for crime stoppers.
      We have to redo the site since a company made it and no logn will be maintainign it.
      The logo sits on a white background.
      I custum made a background for our banner that has a jail cell on it.
      I need to place this banner on it.....
      BUT with o ut hte white back ground.

      I use to have paintshop pro that someone gave me on my compter than jsut got KILLED.
      I no longer have it.
      This is the only place I new to cut aroudn the edges and copy, cut and then paste on my banner.

      Does any one know of any other program I can do this in??
      Some computer tech here at work says there is a plce on line free where you can take a pci and hit the spot where you transparent and jsut place it on the banner that way????
      Never heard of it...has any one else??
      Of course he can nto remember the name.

      well thanks to any one who can help!

    • Pammie
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 9, 2006
        sorry for all the misspelled words...
        I am so use to typing fast and hitting spell check to fix it all....
        spell check let it all go through with out checking for some reason....
        OPPPS-sorry!! my apologies!
        ~Pam~
[...]

      • Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/KC8NHF
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2006
          Probably the most respected free graphics editoe is The Gimp from
          http://www.gimp.org/
          It's available for Linux, Mac and Windows.

          Don't forget your graphics can have a transparent backgroung so don't
          need to be cut round.

          --
          <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
          Nigel A. Gunn. 59 Beadlemead, Milton Keynes, MK6 4HF, England.
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 9, 2006
            how can I make it have a transparent background????
            any programs free for that??
            I will check out this one you mentioned!
            thanks

            --
            <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
            Nigel A. Gunn. 59 Beadlemead, Milton Keynes, MK6 4HF, England.
            Tel +44 (0)1908 604004 mobile +44 (0)7951 079089
            e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
            Amateur radio stations G8IFF, KC8NHF
            Member of ARRL, GQRP Club, QRPARCI, SOC #548, Flying Pig #385,
            Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, RAYNET
            <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

          • Stephanie Zylstra
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
              google "free transparency image editor", you should get some results.
              If the images are .gif files, there's a program called "giffy" which
              adds things like "convert to transparent gif" on the right-click menu in
              windows explorer. Sorry, I don't have a link for it.
              --
              Ҩ Stephanie Ҩ
              NEW LAYOUT - http://www.stephaniezylstra.com/
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                Thank you for your help!!
                I did type that in and got all these things that I tried and did not understand how to use.
                I had PSP7 on my other pc but when it crashed so did my program. It was a freebie that someone gave me.

                After trying to figure out several other programs I took the 30 day trial of the new PSP. I have 30 days to come up with the money to buy as I know I need, and need to learn it!!!!!

                I fixed my picture so the background is transparent but it needs cleaned up a bit....
                any one know how to do that???
                thank you

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                  As an alternative to Paint Shop Pro, the The Gimp. It's free.

                  --
                  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                  Nigel A. Gunn. 59 Beadlemead, Milton Keynes, MK6 4HF, England.
                  Tel +44 (0)1908 604004 mobile +44 (0)7951 079089
                  e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
                  Amateur radio stations G8IFF, KC8NHF
                  Member of ARRL, GQRP Club, QRPARCI, SOC #548, Flying Pig #385,
                  Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, RAYNET
                  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                • rameyjay
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                    Ok I would say microsoft Paint is one of them I used to play with
                    and do banners on, and save it as a .jpg
                    --- In HTML-on-the-WEB@yahoogroups.com, "~Pammies E-Mail~"
                    <web71master@...> wrote:

                    > how can I make it have a transparent background????
                    > any programs free for that??
                    > I will check out this one you mentioned!
                    > thanks

                  • ~Pammies E-Mail~
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                      I tried that and can not figure out how to work it!!!!!

                      --

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                        I am using the PSP11 and can do the transparent background...BUT it needs leaned up. some places are still white.
                        Is there a better program for cleaning that up???
                        Every time I try it turns the background black and I am lost!!!

                      • Gary Krockover
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                          Are you saving it as a .jpg or a .gif or a .png? Jpeg's wont do transparency, you have to make it either a .gif or a .png.

                          Can you post your image some where or email it to me? I can probably clean it up for you in 2 minutes.

                          GJK