Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Hi - Networked FTP access ?

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
      On 3/31/06, Gary Krockover <gary@...> wrote:
      > The internal IP changes? That should stay static unless you have some kind of funky DHCP routing going on. I have a Sambar server running on WinXP Home at a clients site and to connect is a simple "http://192.168.1.101/directory/index.html" in the address bar.
      >
      > Or am I confused - is there a 3rd PC - your home PC perhaps that you are wanting to bring into this network of 2 other PC's somehow?

      Its basically 2 Pc's

      But each time the PC's are re-booted, & connect to the net - the IP
      address changes (isnt this 'normal' - unless you paid for a static
      address ?)

      anyway, Ive got it going - Sort-of.

      the FTP programme connects - & the password/User is accepted - However
      it times-out.

      ===============

      [23:42:26] 331 Password required for admin
      [23:42:26] PASS (hidden)
      [23:42:26] Timeout (0s).

      =======================

      im looking at the config files - to see if I can allow networked Pc's
      to use the administrators account. (its currently set to 'localhost'
      - But thats the browser - not the FTp (looking)

      Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
      http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
      NZ community groups - community@...
    • Gary Krockover
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
        At 05:48 AM 4/1/2006, you wrote:
        >But each time the PC's are re-booted, & connect to the net - the IP
        >address changes (isnt this 'normal' - unless you paid for a static
        >address ?)

        For your external IP address, yes/no - but you're not connecting to your other computer via the external IP address. The internal IP is your local network IP's and should remain static. I'm no networking guru, but what Thomas suggested is available as well - your computer should show up on the LAN via computer name or internal IP. You should be able to connect right to the server.

        >anyway, Ive got it going - Sort-of.
        >
        >the FTP programme connects - & the password/User is accepted - However
        >it times-out.

        Please explain to me again why you need to FTP to a PC that you are networked to?

        Gary
      • Thomas J. Hruska
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
          Gordon Stewart wrote:
          > On 3/31/06, Gary Krockover <gary@...> wrote:
          >> The internal IP changes? That should stay static unless you have some kind of funky DHCP routing going on. I have a Sambar server running on WinXP Home at a clients site and to connect is a simple "http://192.168.1.101/directory/index.html" in the address bar.
          >>
          >> Or am I confused - is there a 3rd PC - your home PC perhaps that you are wanting to bring into this network of 2 other PC's somehow?
          >
          > Its basically 2 Pc's
          >
          > But each time the PC's are re-booted, & connect to the net - the IP
          > address changes (isnt this 'normal' - unless you paid for a static
          > address ?)
          >
          > anyway, Ive got it going - Sort-of.
          >
          > the FTP programme connects - & the password/User is accepted - However
          > it times-out.
          >
          > ===============
          >
          > [23:42:26] 331 Password required for admin
          > [23:42:26] PASS (hidden)
          > [23:42:26] Timeout (0s).
          >
          > =======================
          >
          > im looking at the config files - to see if I can allow networked Pc's
          > to use the administrators account. (its currently set to 'localhost'
          > - But thats the browser - not the FTp (looking)

          Gordon, get yourself a hardware Cable/DSL router (I prefer D-Link - good
          solid routers). They aren't expensive. In fact, they tend to go on
          sale quite frequently. A router gives you:

          - A hardware firewall (superior to any Windows software-based firewall)
          - A DHCP server
          - Your own miniature LAN (no need to pay for extra IP addresses for each
          computer)
          - The freedom to remove any installed software firewall
          - The ability to issue yourself whatever LAN IP you want (static IP)
          - Invisibility on the Internet (router = NAT)
          - Improved performance (people on cable/DSL networks constantly hammer
          PCs they can see, which reduces available bandwidth - a decent router
          can actually increase bandwidth because it "stealths" the WAN IP -
          software firewalls don't always work to block traffic).
          - You can be lazy about Windows Updates. With only a software firewall
          between you and the outside world, you have to be on your toes - the
          instant an update becomes available, you have to upgrade unless you
          don't mind rootkits being installed.
          - And last but not least, you'll be able to contact the server without
          knowing the IP address.

          As to FTP, I'd forget Sambar and just go with FileZilla (they have both
          server and client downloads). The server is really easy to use - a nice
          GUI interface. A lot of people hate the client because too much is
          mashed into a tiny space (i.e. cluttered GUI). On the other hand, the
          server is clean and you can do some fancy things with it usually only
          found in commercial packages. And I've never had a problem with IE,
          FireFox, or FileZilla client with the FileZilla server.

          Shining Light Productions

          Home of BMP2AVI, Nuclear Vision, ProtoNova, and Win32 OpenSSL.
          http://www.slproweb.com/

          Ask me about discounts on any Shining Light Productions product!
        • Thomas J. Hruska
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
            Gary Krockover wrote:
            > At 05:48 AM 4/1/2006, you wrote:
            >> But each time the PC's are re-booted, & connect to the net - the IP
            >> address changes (isnt this 'normal' - unless you paid for a static
            >> address ?)
            >
            > For your external IP address, yes/no - but you're not connecting to your other computer via the external IP address. The internal IP is your local network IP's and should remain static. I'm no networking guru, but what Thomas suggested is available as well - your computer should show up on the LAN via computer name or internal IP. You should be able to connect right to the server.
            >

            >> anyway, Ive got it going - Sort-of.
            >>
            >> the FTP programme connects - & the password/User is accepted - However
            >> it times-out.
            >
            > Please explain to me again why you need to FTP to a PC that you are networked to?
            >
            > Gary

            Testing purposes perhaps? That is, he could be trying to replicate what
            it will be like putting a website onto a production server. That, or
            he's using FTP for REALLY large files. NetBIOS stinks for just about
            anything over a network except for the occasional file here or
            there...especially large files (anything over 5MB) or many tiny files
            (e.g. 100 3K files). FTP also stinks for lots of little tiny files (new
            TCP connection per file). In fact, I'm not aware of any protocol that
            does file transfers that doesn't stink when transferring zillions of
            little tiny files.

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
              At 09:22 AM 4/1/2006, you wrote:
              >As to FTP, I'd forget Sambar and just go with FileZilla (they have both
              >server and client downloads). The server is really easy to use - a nice
              >GUI interface. A lot of people hate the client because too much is
              >mashed into a tiny space (i.e. cluttered GUI). On the other hand, the
              >server is clean and you can do some fancy things with it usually only
              >found in commercial packages. And I've never had a problem with IE,
              >FireFox, or FileZilla client with the FileZilla server.

              Sambar is a web server, that he's using to manage his development server. FYI.

              G.
            • Thomas J. Hruska
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
                Gary Krockover wrote:
                > At 09:22 AM 4/1/2006, you wrote:
                >> As to FTP, I'd forget Sambar and just go with FileZilla (they have both
                >> server and client downloads). The server is really easy to use - a nice
                >> GUI interface. A lot of people hate the client because too much is
                >> mashed into a tiny space (i.e. cluttered GUI). On the other hand, the
                >> server is clean and you can do some fancy things with it usually only
                >> found in commercial packages. And I've never had a problem with IE,
                >> FireFox, or FileZilla client with the FileZilla server.
                >
                > Sambar is a web server, that he's using to manage his development server. FYI.
                >
                > G.

                Uh...straight from their website's main page:

                Server Features
                The Sambar Server is an open and scalable framework that provides an
                intuitive, secure and personalizable environment for end-users; rapid
                development and deployment tools for developers; and an easy-to-use
                console for administrators. Features include:

                WebDAV
                Content Management
                Document Versioning
                Search Engine
                Mail Server
                Servlet Runner
                Usage Throttling
                CRON Daemon
                IRC Server
                FTP Server
                TFTP Server
                DNS Server
                DHCP Server
                Proxy Server
                Socks Proxy
                Reverse Proxy

                Sambar is the kitchen sink of web servers. However, if Gordon wants to
                use a FTP server, FileZilla Server is probably the better choice. My
                personal experience with FTP servers being distributed with web servers
                has had the tendency of being "flaky" (i.e. the web server being well
                written and the FTP server just sort of flaking out).

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
                  Same with IIS, which also comes packaged with an FTP server and Apache's Module mod_proxy_ftp?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
                    My point is, I don't think that he's looking for an FTP server, I think that he's running Sambar to test sites locally and that he's looking for a reliable way to transfer files between the two computers. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the goal is though - perhaps Gordon could explain a little bit more.

                    G.