Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Update page via E-Mail

  • Ken Robinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      At 12:49 AM 3/1/2006, Jim Walls wrote (in part):
      >I want to have a web page that I want to be able to update a portion of
      >via E-Mail. I need to figure out how. Now to make it a little easier,
      >the web server and the E-Mail server are mine at home. Let me give a
      >little more details.
      >
      >I want to use a web page that will display the status of several
      >technicians as they move about during the day. I would like to have
      >updates sent as a VERY simple E-Mail sent to an address on the server.
      >Some process would read the Time and From address of the E-Mail to know
      >who this update is from and parse a simple status - for example (with
      >the translation):
      >
      >er mt (enroute Mt. Thom)
      >os sa (on scene San Augustine)
      >c7 (code 7 - lunch)
      >
      >This would result in a line on a web page that says something like:
      >10:45 Jesse enroute Mt. Thom

      If you know PHP, this can be accomplished fairly easily. If you're
      planning to use a database to store the changes, it would make everything easy.

      PHP has functions that let you read POP mail boxes, so if your email
      server can write mail to POP mailboxes that is good. In this case you
      would also need a way to run the script on a regular basis, like
      every 5 minutes or so. If not, if your email server can start a
      script if it sees a message for a certain address, that would be the
      way to go.

      >The updates would be sent from BlackBerry handhelds, and read only on
      >one type of browser (currently IE) on one of only 3 or 4 different
      >computers.

      The type a browser is not a required element for this to succeed.

      >There also wants to be another type of update wherein one person sends
      >an update for another person. So the update sent might be something like:
      >
      >205 er mt (Comm-205 enroute Mt. Thom).

      You need to come up with a standard way of specifying the update
      messages that is easy for a program to parse and know what to do.
      After that, the update program is fairly straight forward. If you use
      PHP to create the web page, that is a fairly straight forward script
      to write also.

      You would also need to define an email address where these updates
      would be sent.

      Ken Robinson
    • Jim Walls
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In HTML-on-the-WEB@yahoogroups.com, Ken Robinson <kenrbnsn@...>
        wrote (much snippage):

        > At 12:49 AM 3/1/2006, Jim Walls wrote (in part):
        >> I want to have a web page that I want to be able to update a
        portion of
        >> via E-Mail.

        > If you know PHP, this can be accomplished fairly easily. If you're
        > planning to use a database to store the changes, it would make
        everything easy.

        I have never used (or learned) PHP. I guess I need to do a little
        learning - which I figured I would anyway.

        > PHP has functions that let you read POP mail boxes, so if your
        email
        > server can write mail to POP mailboxes that is good.

        That's not a problem at all. The server speaks POP just fine.

        > In this case you
        > would also need a way to run the script on a regular basis, like
        > every 5 minutes or so. If not, if your email server can start a
        > script if it sees a message for a certain address, that would be
        the
        > way to go.

        I think that is doable.

        > You need to come up with a standard way of specifying the update
        > messages that is easy for a program to parse and know what to do.

        That should not be a major problem. The messages will be VERY simple
        and it's not like I'm trying to parse hundreds of different status
        messages.

        > After that, the update program is fairly straight forward. If you
        use
        > PHP to create the web page, that is a fairly straight forward
        script
        > to write also.

        Sounds like after I learn some PHP...

        > You would also need to define an email address where these updates
        > would be sent.

        It's my server, I CAN do that!

        ------------------
        Jim Walls - K6CCC
        k6ccc@...
      • Michael Roush
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
          Do the people in the field have the capability to use an html form via a
          web browser interface on their mobile devices? That could prove to be a
          lot less problematic for data integrity than having them send an e-mail,
          which would have to be formatted absolutely correct for the information to
          be useful.

          Michael Roush
          mdroush@...

          "The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
          -- Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Gary Krockover
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
            Not to mention the potential security issues that you may face if the email address is compromised. You're opening yourself up for a lot of potential heartache if you allow manipulation of your databases via a non-secured channel such as email. By "secured" meaning that with a form post, you at least have some control over variables that are picked up by your landing page where as with the email you have no control whatsoever.

            Gary