Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] RSS feed - Test

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
      On 12/31/05, Bob <helldrivers@...> wrote:
      > Hi Gordon,
      > Though I haven't tried using RSS feeds, they should be in xml format.
      > If you haven't used xml, it's a bit different to html (well, maybe a lot different).
      >
      > From what I've read about RSS feeds, there are also different formats. Very confusing.
      >
      > I'd like to know more if you get it working.
      > Bob.

      Yes - I think I got it going :) :)

      Basically, I have a PHP script which has a list of HTML files ..

      Every 5 minutes, it checks the oldest-checked file..
      - & re-checks the modification date (last time it was updated)...
      - & updates the database...

      The PHP script currently creates the RSS feed as you request it
      (i'll change it to save it to a file - Static file - When the RSS
      actually needs an update...)

      - i used Mozilla - To check (Doesnt go...)

      But i d/loaded another RSS reader - "RSSReader" :) - & it does tell me
      of any updates when the database is updated :) :-)

      Is this 'normal' - For Mozilla Thunderbird to not be accurate ?
      (It does get other feeds ive tested on...)

      Ive gotta go out now- But when I get back, i'll create a small PHP
      script to automatically 'update' an HTML document every 10 minutes, &
      set up an RSS feed for that

      - See if I can get Mozilla to get it / the changes...

      (I think the HTML/XML code isnt correct... )

      -
      Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
      http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
      NZ community groups - community@...
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
        Hi Gordon,

        Gordon Stewart wrote:
        > Yes - I think I got it going :) :)

        Hope you had a good holiday.

        I'm new to RSS, so it'll take a while to figure it all out.
        Just installed a free reader from http://www.feedreader.com/
        Still playing with it, as it downloaded quite a few default feeds, which I've now deleted.

        Your links seemed to work ok.

        Are there any security risks with RSS?
        Bob.
      • Gordon Stewart
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
          On 1/3/06, Bob <helldrivers@...> wrote:
          > Hi Gordon,
          >
          > Gordon Stewart wrote:
          > > Yes - I think I got it going :) :)
          >
          > Hope you had a good holiday.
          >
          > I'm new to RSS, so it'll take a while to figure it all out.
          > Just installed a free reader from http://www.feedreader.com/
          > Still playing with it, as it downloaded quite a few default feeds, which I've now deleted.
          >
          > Your links seemed to work ok.
          >
          > Are there any security risks with RSS?
          > Bob.

          As far as I know - No security risks - The persons RSS "browser" /
          "reader" doesnt send information TO a RSS page - it just gets the
          information (think of it like HTML - but for an RSS reader.

          From your 1st post to this query - You infer that you may be
          interested in RSS for your site

          (may reply here - or directly - if wanted)

          Whats your site about ? (or the section you want to RSS ? )

          RSS feed here - http://updates.kwister.com/?sub=all
          (though I dont frequently update things)

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
            Hi Gordon,

            >> Gordon Stewart wrote:
            >> From your 1st post to this query - You infer that you may be
            >> interested in RSS for your site
            >>
            >> (may reply here - or directly - if wanted)
            >>
            >> Whats your site about ? (or the section you want to RSS ? )

            Sorry I've been so long replying. My son is opening a new shop and I've been helping out.

            Yes, I'm interesting in anything that's new to me and RSS is. I'll contact you off-list.
            Regards, Bob.