Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] updating drop down box

  • Michael Roush
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      --- Stephanie Zylstra <computer_girl_13@...> wrote:

      > Say I have 3 radio buttons or options in a drop down box: 1, 2 and 3.
      > How can I make it so that if '1' is selected, then the options in a
      > DIFFERENT drop down box are '1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4 and 1.5', but if '2' is
      > selected, the options are '2.1,2.2,2.3,2.4, and 2.5', or if '3' is
      > selected the options are '3.1,3.2,3.3,3.4, and 3.5'. What I mean is, if
      > something is selected then the options on a drop down box will be
      > updated to show only the choices for that selection.
      >
      > I think it would be a javascript or something, wouldn't it?

      I believe there is a goog tutorial concerning exactly what you are wanting
      to do at:

      http://codepunk.hardwar.org.uk/ajs24.htm

      Yes, it uses javascript. Some sort of client-side technology would be
      necessary because you are going to make changes to the content of the page
      without re-loading the page from the server.

      The usual javascript caveat applies: anyone who has a
      non-javascript-capable browser won't be able to use your form in that
      condition.

      Michael Roush
      mdroush@...

      "The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
      -- Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs