RE: [HTML-on-the-WEB] I need some basics

  • Maria Marsala, The Resource Queen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 1:25 PM
      You wrote

      1<html>
      2<head>
      3<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-
      1252">
      4<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
      5<title>Title description goes here</title>
      6<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
      7<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
      8</head>

      How many of these lines do I actually need in a header?

      Maria's Comments...

      My main site, coachmaria.com is 5/10 in google score. Of course,
      some of that is because that site has been around since 1999 and
      I write loads of articles and promote on the Internet. However,
      keywords do place a part in that, too.

      Here is what I use...

      <head>
      <title> Title with keywords in it </title>
      it" />

      To that I add these which are not mandatory but helpful, IMO.

      <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index, follow">
      <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="30 days">
      <META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="global">
      <META NAME="rating" CONTENT="general">
      <META NAME="Content-Language" CONTENT="english">

      Now you'll hear folks say that you don't need ay meta tags, I
      disagree.
      There are still so many search engines searching using so many
      different methods - including keyword relavancy
      And heck, how long does it take to fill in a meta tag - a few
      seconds.

      The descrition comes up in google searches if you use it.
      Keywords are always helpful
      Author helps only if someone searches for my name
      Robots and distribution tell the search engines what do to
      That smart thing has to do with some weird process Microsoft
      was/is working on.
      Image tool bar, I forget why I put that one there ;)

      Be the person who makes your heart smile!

      Maria Marsala
      Confidant to CEOs and Presidents. Former Wall Street Trader

      Accelerating profits and improving productivity quicker!

      Resources, teleseminars, consulting and coaching that save owners
      of
      service businesses time and maximize their success. Join "SIMPLE
      Business Solutions Ezine" to receive your 2 reports now.
      http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com
    • Jen (aka Sassy Devil)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 11:24 PM
        At 05:23 AM 7/1/2005, you wrote:

        >I already have front page but I want to generate special web pages
        >from a text file.
        >I have never used write/wordpad but I guess you can do it with that.

        I'm not sure what you mean, in terms of generating pages from a text
        file. You would need more than HTML for that. You can generate pages
        using a language like Perl or PHP. You can manually create web pages in
        Word or Notepad or any text editor, or you can get an HTML editor if you
        prefer.

        >I guess I will start with basics, I only need to know how to do a few
        >things
        >
        >The header contains a page description
        ><snip>
        >
        >How many of these lines do I actually need in a header?

        Well, you don't *need* any of the meta tags. As stated in other posts,
        search engines each read meta tags differently. Some people use them to
        try to get at the top of search engine rankings. I personally don't focus
        on that...maybe I should, but I feel like it's futile, because everybody
        can't be number 1...I just try to put some information in them about my
        site, and hope the search engines index me. Or I should say I *did*...I'm
        using WordPress now, so I'm not manually creating my pages. But if you
        want to use meta tags, here are a few:

        Obviously, you can put other content and use other character sets (charset)
        here
        the content field to the target frame you want
        OWNER)">
        AUTHOR)">
        Reserved">

        For more meta tags and information on them, see
        http://www.html-reference.com/META.htm

        You can also use the <link> tag, but I'm not completely clear on all what
        you can do with it. I need to research that further, now that I've brought
        it up. :) But two things it can be used for are to use a stylesheet or a
        shortcut icon (those little images in your search bar, right before the
        URL, if a site has one):

        Cascading Style Sheet (CSS):
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="FILENAME.css" media="screen" title=""
        type="text/css">

        Shortcut Icon:
        <link rel="shortcut icon" href="IMAGENAME.ico">

        (For more info on shortcut icons, see <http://www.favicon.com/>Favicon.com
        and
        <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp>Microsoft.com:
        How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page.)

        Jen (aka Sassy Devil)
        sassydevil@...
        http://www.SassyDevil.com/
        http://www.Pretty-Scary.net/