Help

  • Masamax
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 1, 2001
      Hey, I jsut want to know one thing. Before I ask, I'll explain my
      situation. I am working on a website for a gaming MOD, and I am
      trying to make the site look like your traversing the game's menus. I
      can't use flash since I don't have it, so I have to use the old html
      route.

      What I plan is to have the index look like the main menu screen, and
      then each button takes you to a section of the site. After that, you
      open up a standard design that will look like the multiplayer chat
      menu, slightly modified.

      What I want to know is, can I make it so the backround of a table is
      a picture? If I can do that, It is a fairly simple matter of using
      the table so the thing is always centered. Another route I might try
      is frames, but I've always been slightly iffy on frames. If I can
      figure out the table, I can make it so the thing is always centered,
      instead of clinging to the left of the screen.

      If you have any other ideas I might use to make the site, I'd really
      appreciate it!

      -Mike Smith
    • Michael Roush
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 2, 2001
        --- In HTML-on-the-WEB@egroups.com, "Masamax " <masamax@h...> wrote:
        > What I want to know is, can I make it so the backround of a table
        > is a picture?

        I hope it's okay for a newbie to jump in with a response like this.

        You can if your visitors are using IE 3.0 or Netscape 4.0. The
        will. For instance, <table background="image.jpg"> would tile the
        picture image.jpg behind your table. However, this is not "real
        HTML", and has never been included in any of the W3C specifications
        for tables. Basically, people using other browsers (yes, there are a
        few) won't see the image.

        Michael Roush
        mdroush@...
      • Rajiv R
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 2, 2001
          hi
          I dont know of any s/w, but to find out the side, just find the size of the
          directory which has all the files of ur homepage.

          bye, rajiv

          >> What I want to know is, can I make it so the backround of a table
          >> is a picture?
          >
          >I hope it's okay for a newbie to jump in with a response like this.
          >
          >You can if your visitors are using IE 3.0 or Netscape 4.0. The
          >will. For instance, <table background="image.jpg"> would tile the
          >picture image.jpg behind your table. However, this is not "real
          >HTML", and has never been included in any of the W3C specifications
          >for tables. Basically, people using other browsers (yes, there are a
          >few) won't see the image.
          >
          >Michael Roush
          >mdroush@...
          >

          >~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*
          >For help, subscribe, unsubscribe info, archives:
          >http://www.WebPage-Tools.com/htmldl.asp!!
          >~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*

        • corey_hall2002
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 6, 2002
            I'd like to have on of these on my site. I don't know what you call
            it but it's cool. An example of what I'm talking about is on this
            page: http://www.us.playstation.com/
            I'd like to put links on it instead of a frame.

            Thanks
          • Dean Hamack
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 6, 2002

              You'd like to have one of what? You're going to have to be a little more
              specific.

              Dean Hamack
              Bushido Designs
              tactics@...
              Tel:(360)366-1062
              Professional website design at competitive prices.
            • Lokrin2000
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 7, 2002
                It's Macromedia Flash.

                > I'd like to have on of these on my site. I don't know what you call
                > it but it's cool. An example of what I'm talking about is on this
                > page: http://www.us.playstation.com/
                > I'd like to put links on it instead of a frame.

                You'd like to have one of what? You're going to have to be a little more
                specific.

                Dean Hamack
                Bushido Designs
                tactics@...
                Tel:(360)366-1062
                ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*

                ---
              • pugmom4@cox.net
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 7, 2002
                  I just made this menu using flash buttons...hey, don't blame me for the
                  color scheme...bekye wanted TURQUOISE and PURPLE..

                  http://members.cox.net/bekye/index.htm

                  i made this little site for my friend who does maltese, tzu and bichon
                  rescue. I should have made my own buttons, but I was too lazy. i did make
                  the background.

                  Mindy
                  > > I'd like to have on of these on my site. I don't know what you call
                  > > it but it's cool. An example of what I'm talking about is on this
                  > > page: http://www.us.playstation.com/
                  > > I'd like to put links on it instead of a frame.
                  >
                  > You'd like to have one of what? You're going to have to be a little more
                  > specific.
                  >
                  > Dean Hamack
                  > Bushido Designs
                  > tactics@...
                  > Tel:(360)366-1062
                  > ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*

                  > ---
                  >

                  > ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*
                  > For help, subscribe, unsubscribe info, archives:
                  > http://www.WebPage-Tools.com/htmldl.asp !!
                  > ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*

                • Lokrin2000
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 9, 2002
                    Turquoise and purple? Do I have a background for you!! =D Can we do
                    attachments in this group?

                    I just made this menu using flash buttons...hey, don't blame me for the
                    color scheme...bekye wanted TURQUOISE and PURPLE..

                    http://members.cox.net/bekye/index.htm

                    Gee, no files section at the group :(

                    ---

                  • web71master
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                      I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the heck I have done wrong
                      here at this site. The table is a bit to big.
                      I can not see it all on screen and when I print it off you can not
                      see it all on the right side.

                      http://wtv-zone.com/meebeehoney/PickawaySheriff3.html

                      thanks!!!
                    • Pat Kelly
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                        With only a quick look I think you may have opened a table at the top and
                        not closed it. You probably could just delete it. I think this is the
                        offending code. It is at the top of the source...

                        valign="top" width="1%">

                        --Pat Kelly

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                          --- web71master <web71master@...> wrote:
                          > The table is a bit to big.
                          > I can not see it all on screen and when I print it off you can not
                          > see it all on the right side.

                          With my screen at 1024�768, it all fits. At 800�600, the page is just a
                          little too wide. While you do have your outer table set at 100%, the
                          required width of some of the columns pushes it beyond the screen width at
                          lower resoloutions. Incidentally, you have two tables open, but you only
                          have one </table> tag.

                          First, the picture at the top is 750 pixels wide. Add in the cellpadding
                          on each side and the table borders and all, and that pushes the needed
                          width over 800 pixels.

                          I'm not sure what the standard width is that a printer can handle. I'm
                          going to run a little test to see if I can figure out what it is.

                          I know many others on this list won't agree with me, but I think this is
                          one of the huge drawbacks of using tables for layout. It forces the
                          layout to be exactly a certain width, so most printers can't handle it if
                          it is too wide and it just leaves off the rest.

                          =====
                          Michael Roush
                          mdroush@...

                          "The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
                          -- Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

                          http://webhosting.yahoo.com
                        • scottish22002
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                            Hi Mike

                            I sent you a private reply which had an updated HTML file that
                            corrected a couple minor errors plus explained what happen.

                            So the group knows The banner is 750 but then on top of that you
                            have to add 5 pixels each side for padding so that now bumps to 760
                            then border of 5 so that bumps to 770 then margins at least 5 if not
                            10 so that's 780-790 then you have the scroll bar so that's pretty
                            much pushing the limits of the 800 width hence the side scroll bar.
                            I suggested Mike shrink the banner just a wee bit and this will
                            solve this issue.

                            --- In HTML-on-the-WEB@y..., Michael Roush <mdroush@y...> wrote:
                            > --- web71master <web71master@h...> wrote:
                            > > The table is a bit to big.
                            > > I can not see it all on screen and when I print it off you can
                            not
                            > > see it all on the right side.
                            >
                            > With my screen at 1024×768, it all fits. At 800×600, the page is
                            just a
                            > little too wide. While you do have your outer table set at 100%,
                            the
                            > required width of some of the columns pushes it beyond the screen
                            width at
                            > lower resoloutions. Incidentally, you have two tables open, but
                            you only
                            > have one </table> tag.
                            >
                            > First, the picture at the top is 750 pixels wide. Add in the
                            cellpadding
                            > on each side and the table borders and all, and that pushes the
                            needed
                            > width over 800 pixels.
                            >
                            > I'm not sure what the standard width is that a printer can
                            handle. I'm
                            > going to run a little test to see if I can figure out what it is.
                            >
                            > I know many others on this list won't agree with me, but I think
                            this is
                            > one of the huge drawbacks of using tables for layout. It forces
                            the
                            > layout to be exactly a certain width, so most printers can't
                            handle it if
                            > it is too wide and it just leaves off the rest.
                            >

                            > =====
                            > Michael Roush
                            > mdroush@y...
                            >
                            > "The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone
                            regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
                            > -- Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

                            > http://webhosting.yahoo.com
                          • Michael Roush
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                              --- scottish22002 <wallace785@...> wrote:
                              > I suggested Mike shrink the banner just a wee bit and this will
                              > solve this issue.

                              It isn't my page, it's Pam's. Right state, wrong person. :)

                              > > I'm not sure what the standard width is that a printer can
                              > handle. I'm
                              > > going to run a little test to see if I can figure out what it is.

                              I put a bunch of colored squares next to each other on a web page, coded
                              it not to wrap at the end of a line, and printed it. It looks like my
                              little Canon BJC-1000 printer will print about 670 pixels on a line.
                              Anything a web page forces to be wider than that will be lost when
                              printed.

                              =====

                            • P@M'S M@IL
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                                I am the one with the site problem...not Mike.
                                I would appreciate any help you can give me!!!!
                                thanks!!!

                                Pamela J. Plowman

                                I sent you a private reply which had an updated HTML file that
                                corrected a couple minor errors plus explained what happen.

                                So the group knows The banner is 750 but then on top of that you
                                have to add 5 pixels each side for padding so that now bumps to 760
                                then border of 5 so that bumps to 770 then margins at least 5 if not
                                10 so that's 780-790 then you have the scroll bar so that's pretty
                                much pushing the limits of the 800 width hence the side scroll bar.
                                I suggested Mike shrink the banner just a wee bit and this will
                                solve this issue.

                                --- In HTML-on-the-WEB@y..., Michael Roush <mdroush@y...> wrote:
                                > --- web71master <web71master@h...> wrote:
                                > > The table is a bit to big.
                                > > I can not see it all on screen and when I print it off you can
                                not
                                > > see it all on the right side.
                                >
                                > With my screen at 1024×768, it all fits. At 800×600, the page is
                                just a
                                > little too wide. While you do have your outer table set at 100%,
                                the
                                > required width of some of the columns pushes it beyond the screen
                                width at
                                > lower resoloutions. Incidentally, you have two tables open, but
                                you only
                                > have one </table> tag.
                                >
                                > First, the picture at the top is 750 pixels wide. Add in the
                                cellpadding
                                > on each side and the table borders and all, and that pushes the
                                needed
                                > width over 800 pixels.
                                >
                                > I'm not sure what the standard width is that a printer can
                                handle. I'm
                                > going to run a little test to see if I can figure out what it is.
                                >
                                > I know many others on this list won't agree with me, but I think
                                this is
                                > one of the huge drawbacks of using tables for layout. It forces
                                the
                                > layout to be exactly a certain width, so most printers can't
                                handle it if
                                > it is too wide and it just leaves off the rest.
                                >

                                > =====
                                > Michael Roush
                                > mdroush@y...
                                >
                                > "The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone
                                regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
                                > -- Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

                                > http://webhosting.yahoo.com

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*

                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                                  My mistake read the wrong think in Mike's reply and thought it was
                                  him but you're all correct my goof. =o)

                                  I assume though Pam you got the edited file which corrected the few
                                  minor mistakes and also the suggestion on your top banner?

                                  --- In HTML-on-the-WEB@y..., "P@M...'S M@I..." <web71master@h...>

                                  Service.

                                • P@M'S M@IL
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                                    No Mike I did not get the file!!! :(

                                    I assume though Pam you got the edited file which corrected the few
                                    minor mistakes and also the suggestion on your top banner?

                                  • Texan
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 18, 2005
                                      Ok guys I have come to a stump I will go on making my own webpages but
                                      I have a problem I need the degree symbol in code form for a webpage
                                      that I am making I have looked in the book that I have and have not
                                      found it if anyone has codes please help.
                                    • Gary Krockover
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 18, 2005
                                        At 08:08 PM 12/18/2005, you wrote:
                                        >Ok guys I have come to a stump I will go on making my own webpages but
                                        >I have a problem I need the degree symbol in code form for a webpage
                                        >that I am making I have looked in the book that I have and have not
                                        >found it if anyone has codes please help.

                                        You can use: <sup>o</sup>

                                        Gary
                                      • Bob
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 18, 2005
                                          From: "Texan" <kkll_us@...>
                                          > I have a problem I need the degree symbol in code form for a webpage
                                          > that I am making I have looked in the book that I have and have not
                                          > found it if anyone has codes please help.

                                          You can use °
                                          as in: 100 ° C
                                          Bob
                                        • Gary Krockover
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 18, 2005
                                            At 08:08 PM 12/18/2005, you wrote:
                                            >Ok guys I have come to a stump I will go on making my own webpages but
                                            >I have a problem I need the degree symbol in code form for a webpage
                                            >that I am making I have looked in the book that I have and have not
                                            >found it if anyone has codes please help.

                                            You can also use °

                                            As in 79°

                                            Three different ways (so far) to do it! :)

                                            Gary
                                          • Bob
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 18, 2005
                                              Hi Gary,

                                              From: "Gary Krockover" <gary@...>
                                              > You can also use °
                                              >
                                              > As in 79°
                                              >
                                              > Three different ways (so far) to do it! :)

                                              I thought using <sup>o</sup> was clever.
                                              Hadn't thought of that one.
                                              Bob.
                                            • Michael Roush
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 18, 2005
                                                --- Bob <helldrivers@...> wrote:

                                                > I thought using <sup>o</sup> was clever.
                                                > Hadn't thought of that one.

                                                Creative, I suppose, but I would never actually use it in practice. I'd
                                                sooner use an image file of a degree symbol with the alternate text
                                                "degrees". A superscript "o" may look pretty much like a degree symbol,
                                                but it does not mean "degrees". From a visual standpoint, you'll fool
                                                people's eyes with a superscript "o", but that isn't all the Web is about,
                                                is it?

                                                Sadly, Google doesn't equate the degree symbol with the word "degrees".
                                                If you're searching for "32° Paintball", you have to use the word
                                                "degrees" instead of the symbol. Google seems to pretty much ignore the
                                                degree symbol in search text.

                                                Using a superscript "o" for a degree sign is a bit like using ascii art to
                                                draw pictures or write words ("Hi, I'm |\/||¢|-|/\3|_!"). The only way
                                                they make sense is to an eye that will (hopefully) recognize what the
                                                intended meaning is.

                                                Michael Roush
                                                mdroush@...

                                                "The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
                                                -- Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • claudiobianchi
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                  Hi, Im looking for a good web tutorial or somesing similar, because Im
                                                  new in HTML and ASP... What do you use when have a doubt? Pls,
                                                  recommend me your favorites. I need a lot of help.
                                                • mike
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                    http://www.w3schools.com/html/
                                                    http://www.w3schools.com/asp/

                                                    -Mike.
                                                    cssdreams.com

                                                    --- In HTML-on-the-WEB@yahoogroups.com, "claudiobianchi"

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                      Hi claudiobianchi,
                                                      You seem to have started learning every language going, as the same message is appearing on other clubs I'm in, by you.
                                                      Strange, as when I answer, that email gets flooded with spam.

                                                      Except my apologies if you are not an email collector, but it does seem unusual that you are starting to learn html, asp and php and whatever from scratch, all at the same time.
                                                      Bob.

                                                      > Hi, Im looking for a good web tutorial or somesing similar, because Im
                                                      > new in HTML and ASP... What do you use when have a doubt? Pls,
                                                      > recommend me your favorites. I need a lot of help.
                                                    • WebSolutions
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                        Thank you Bob for your comment,

                                                        I'm a studen from Argentina and I'm starting in web development. Here the
                                                        books are really very expensive and I need start reading about web
                                                        technologies to let me choose one.
                                                        Thank you for your comment, this show the reason of the group.

                                                        > You seem to have started learning every language going, as the same
                                                        message is appearing on other clubs I'm in, by you.
                                                        > Strange, as when I answer, that email gets flooded with spam.
                                                        >
                                                        > Except my apologies if you are not an email collector, but it does seem
                                                        unusual that you are starting to learn html, asp and php and whatever from
                                                        scratch, all at the same time.
                                                        > Bob.

                                                      • Bob
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                          Hi claudiobianchi,
                                                          Please except my apologies, as it did look suspicious posting the same message about various languages on different groups.

                                                          I don't get much spam, but was hit by over a hundred the following day. It must have been a coincidence. Groups don't show a list of members like they used to, so it would be a good way of collecting emails from these groups.

                                                          I use a Gmail account for most groups, and it's been untouched except for now. I may have over re-acted but it really bugs me why they have to send some many emails, and they will never stop, with the address being sold on to others.

                                                          As they try to defeat Gmail's filters, the filters get harder and sometimes stop genuine mail.
                                                          The blain of modern life.
                                                          Bob.

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                            No problem. Thank you for undertand me.