23256Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] orphan page checker

    Oct 24 5:37 AM
      On 10/23/2013 9:18 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
      > Hi
      > I am finishing up a website that I was doing a major over haul of the
      > sites 600+ pages. Most are linked in to other pages but there are
      > roughly 100 that seem to be orphans. When I was updating it just seemed
      > no page linked to them and even the president of the group who did the
      > pages originally thinks maybe these might have been one off pages that
      > while good to keep on the site is unsure if they were linked in or not
      > as the site goes back to the late 90's.
      > Is there any easy way short of doing it manually but is there any way to
      > determine if a page has links leading to it?
      > Like for example lets say I have 3 page A, B & C
      > * A is the main page and links into B but not into C
      > * B is only linked into A but again not C
      > * C might or might not link into A or B or some other page D - Z
      > So is there any way to test a site to see if any page links into C that
      > way I can determine what pages are linked into and what pages are
      > orphans and need a link somewhere on the site linking into them
      > Thanks
      > Dave

      You could write a command-line PHP script to do that. I'd leverage the
      Ultimate Web Scraper Toolkit - especially since I've already written
      some PHP code for this sort of fairly common task (see the "Other Uses"
      section of the official documentation). Basically, the code walks the
      document list starting with the root index page of a directory structure
      full of HTML documents and keeps going until it runs out of links to follow.

      I've got great, time saving software that you might find useful.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic