Fw: SCAIHS Advantage Update

    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2010
      Go down a ways and you'll see all the upcoming homeschool conventions.Also a Field trip to the Turkey Federation, and to a sheep Farm.
      Thursday, May 13, 2010

      Tuesday, June 1, 2010

      Thursday, June 24, 2010

      Tuesday, July 6, 2010

      Box Tops Contest

      Keep sending in those Box Tops! Remember the contest deadline for receipt of the coupons is June 7th.  The winner will be announced by Email Update shortly after the deadline and the $50 Home School Bookstore gift certificate will be mailed to the winner.

      2010-2011 Renewal Applications

      SCAIHS renewal application and the accompanying forms for the upcoming school year are now available for download on the SCAIHS website, www.scaihs.org.   Apply by July 7th and receive a $25 discount!  The application is to be accompanied by the following forms for each student:

      *Student enrollment form

      *Proposed course of study—grades K6 through 8

      *Course Schedule—grades 9-12 and 7th and 8th graders taking courses for high school credit

      *Course Description form for each course for high school credit

      Of course, all records and payments for the 2009-2010 school year must be complete to qualify for the discount.

       If you need a paper application mailed to you, please email scaihs@... or call (803) 454-0427.

       We are honored that we have the privilege of serving you this year and hope that you will bestow that honor upon us once again.

       …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      2.     Matching Gift Fund:

      Matching Gift Fund Information

      A matching gift challenge last year helped SCAIHS enter the 2010-2011 school year with no fee increases.  Once again a caring, generous donor has offered a $4,000 matching gift!  Any gifts given up to $4,000 will be doubled because of the match.  The SCAIHS Board of Directors has unanimously pledged individual contributions to help meet this challenge.  Would you also prayerfully consider contributing to the fund which will be used discerningly in our day-to-day operation at SCAIHS?

      SCAIHS is a non-profit 501(c)(3) association so all gifts are tax deductible and may be given by cash, check, money order, VISA, or MasterCard.  Each gift, in any amount, will be gratefully acknowledged with a letter which will serve as your receipt for tax purposes.

      Thank you for giving this challenge prayerful consideration.

      …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      3.         SCAIHS Graduation:

      2010 Ceremony

      Please join us in celebrating the SCAIHS class of 2010! The graduation ceremony will be held June 5, 2010 at Cornerstone Presbyterian Church in Columbia, SC. The ceremony will begin at 2:00 pm. For directions, please visit http://www.cornerstonesc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=56.

      …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      4.         Senior News:

      Time Sensitive Requested Information

      SCAIHS seniors should have received a letter detailing the requirements for graduation including deadlines. Included with that letter was a senior bio form as well as a lunch/photo order form (for those participating in the graduation ceremony). All seniors are asked to submit the senior bio form postmarked by May 14th. Those participating in the ceremony should have their lunch/order form as well as their pictures for the PowerPoint presentation postmarked by May 14th as well. Reminder: all year-end records are to be postmarked by May 14, 2010. Seniors with an August graduation date should contact their high school counselor concerning specific deadlines for submitting year-end records.

      Please note: final transcripts will not be issued unless we have received a written request. Please send in a final transcript request as soon as possible.

      …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      5.         College Information:

      Georgia Tech’s Preview Day

      Georgia Tech will be hosting its Preview Day on Friday, June 25, 2010 from 8:30am-4:30pm for any interested students. For more information, visit http://www.admission.gatech.edu/campus_visits/preview/. Georgia Tech also offers daily admission information sessions and campus tours Monday through Friday.

      Georgia Tech’s College of Computing offers several camps every summer. Information can be found on its web site at http://www.gtcomputingcamps.com/.

      …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      6.         Scholarships:

      The Katie Quackenbush Scholarship 5th Annual Competition *time sensitive*

      The competition is to encourage the vocal development of high school singers by offering support to assist with the cost of vocal lessons with a vocal instructor.

      Awards: One or more awards of $400.00. The winners will be featured as guest artists on the Sandlapper Singers’ fall concerts.

      Eligibility Requirements: Students must be enrolled in a high school, grades 10-12 or an equivalent home school program. Prior private vocal study is not required.

      Repertoire Requirements: Students must prepare from memory two vocal selections, one of which must be in English.

      Date, Time, Place: The competition will be held Saturday, May 22 from 10-12 at Shandon Presbyterian Church in Columbia, SC. The deadline for application is May 18.

      For a registration form, please contact the SCAIHS office at SCAIHS@.... For additional information, please contact Lillian Quackenbush at lillianq@....

      ………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      7.         Educational Opportunities:

      Chemistry Lab in Forest Acres

      A high school Chemistry Lab (with some discussion/review) will be offered beginning in mid August in the Forest Acres area (near Covenant Presbyterian Church). The lab will meet 2 hours every OTHER week (for 16 sessions) from 4:30--6:30 on Monday night. Class size will be limited. Please contact the instructor, Mark Porter, a home school dad, for details at maport@.... Mark has a degree in biology and extensive experience teaching various sciences, including chemistry, from the middle school through the technical college levels.

      Excelsior! Academy’s Biology & Chemistry Lab Classes

      If you plan to use the Apologia Biology or Chemistry textbooks for your high school student but are feeling anxious about the lab experiments, the lab classes at Excelsior! Academy may be a perfect solution.  The weekly labs will meet Thursday mornings from September through April at Park Street Baptist Church in Columbia.  Chemistry lab will be from 8:30 to 9:50 am and biology lab will be 10:00 to 11:20.  All of the experiments in the textbooks will be covered, plus five dissections and 12 extra labs for biology, and 20 additional experiments for chemistry.  Students will keep a lab notebook that will be graded at the end of each semester.  Students will need to keep up with the reading assignments to fully benefit from lab time, but module tests are to be taken at home, under parental supervision.  The cost for the lab classes is $40/month (7 months) with a $50 registration fee ($65 after June 1).  Each class has a lab fee of $40 to cover the cost of materials.  Registration forms can be downloaded from the Excelsior! Academy website http://www.excelsioracademy.org/registration.html. The classes are taught by Dianne Palmer-Quay, who is a graduate of Cornell University (B.S. Nutritional Sciences) and Columbia International University (M.A. in Intercultural Studies).  In addition, elective classes for all ages are offered at Excelsior! Academy on Thursday mornings, with more elective classes and the regular academy program occurring on Tuesdays.

      Classical Conversations Meeting for Sullivan’s Island & West Ashley Groups

      Enrollment has already begun for the Classical Conversations elementary, middle and high school programs for the upcoming 2010/2011 school year. If you have been looking for a community of home schoolers who use the Classical Model for education, live by Christian principals, and enjoy learning and building strong relationships with one another, then visit the informational meeting on May 24th 1:00 pm at the Church of the Holy Cross, 2520 Middle St., Sullivan’s Island, SC 29482-9618. To register, email your name, email address, phone number to Amber Beets at beetsfamily@....

      IEW Seminar

      SCAIHS is hosting The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) two-day video seminar “Teaching Writing: Structure and Style” with Andrew Pudewa. This IEW seminar and accompanying syllabus will prepare teachers with strategies on equipping their students with writing skills far above many of their peers. The seminar is engaging and exciting and is appropriate for those teaching elementary, middle school or high school age children. The IEW approach to composition instruction is great for home-school parents because it is ideal for teaching children of mixed ages or abilities.

      The seminar will be held on Wednesday and Thursday July 14-15th and again on October 6-7th, 2010 at 989 Knox Abbott Drive in Cayce (across the street from the SCAIHS office).   Advance registration is required. Space is limited. The cost is $45 per SCAIHS member and $70 per person for others. The price includes a 122-page syllabus for each participant. To register for the IEW seminar, or for more information, please call the SCAIHS office at (803) 454-0427 or email scaihs@....

      …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      8.     Conferences:

      2010 Spring & Summer Home School Conferences

      4/30-5/1       Georgia Home Educators Association Annual Conference, Atlanta— www.GHEA.org

      5/27-5/29     North Carolinians for Home Education Conference, Winston-Salem—www.NCHE.com

      6/10-6/12     Coastal Home Educator’s Conference, Beaufort, South Carolina—www.CBCofBeaufort.org

      6/18-6/19     South Carolina Home Educators Association Convention, Sumter—www.SCHomeEducatorsAssociation.org

      7/30-7/31     Southeast Homeschool Expo, Atlanta—www.GeorgiaHomeschool.com

      …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      9. Field Trips:

      Richland County Public Works’ Open House

      The week of May 16-22 is National Public Works Week. In 1960, President John F. Kennedy proclaimed the first NPWW to recognize the people who devote their professional time and energy to public works, making our communities better and safer places to live. On Tuesday, May 18, 2010, from 9am-1pm, Richland County Public Works at 400 Powell Road in Columbia, SC will hold an open house. The open house is targeted for children from 2nd-5th grade as well as students with special needs. Children will be able to see big trucks and construction equipment and booths will be set us to show children what it means to be a part of Richland County Public Works. Enjoy a hotdog cookout for the kids and their chaperones as well. For additional information or questions, please contact Bree Tribble at 803-576-2468 or tribbleb@....

      National Wild Turkey Federation

      Please join the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) Saturday, June 12, for a NatureTots (Ages 2-4 yrs) Recycling Program where you and your child will learn about the 3R’s (Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle) through games, songs, and crafts from 10:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. at NWTF’s headquarters at 770 Augusta Road in Edgefield.  You can also enjoy a Nature Hike as you explore the trail from 12:30 p.m. until 1:30 p.m.   All ages are welcome.  Children must be accompanied by an adult.  Free for NWTF members and their children.  Cost for non-members is $5 for adults and $2 for children 17 and under and includes admission to NWTF’s Winchester Museum. For more information, contact Sam McDuffie at (803) 637-7626.

      Ovis Hill Farm Homeschool Day

      Ovis Hill Farm is a local sheep farm located in Timmonsville, SC.  Tours are offered that focus on the importance of farms in our society, and the process of converting raw wool into usable fabrics. Come Friday, May 28, 2010 from 10am-12pm for the farm’s homeschool day. The cost is $6 per person up to $24 per family. While at the farm, students will have an opportunity to feed baby lambs, make butter, and take a wagon ride. Additional activities include gourd painting ($5 per person) and wool bracelet making ($1 per person). You must pre-register for these optional activities. To register, contact Heather Perry at ovishillfarm@.... Visit its website at www.ovishillfarm.com for directions.

      …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      10.    Contests & Competitions:

      HSLDA Poetry Contest

      HSLDA’s student poetry contest is accepting entries through June 1st. Poems must be composed in one of three forms as specified for age groups. Winning entries will be posted online, and cash prizes will be awarded. For guidelines and entry forms, visit http://www.hslda.org/Contests/Poetry/2010/2010rules.asp.

      …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

      11.    Summer Camps & Programs:

      Patrick Henry College Teen Leadership Camps

      PHC Teen Camps offer a unique summer opportunities for high school students 14-18 years of age, providing an exciting context for them to explore various academic disciplines within the context of a biblical worldview. The following is a list of its Summer 2010 camp offerings:

      June 6-12: Strategic Intelligence
      June 13-19: Mock Trial
      June 13-19: Leadership & Vocation
      June 13-19: Art
      June 20-26: Moot Court
      June 20-26: Ancient History
      July 4-11: Shakespeare
      July 11-17: Drama
      July 4-17: Debate

      For more information, please contact Dominique Deming at teencamps@... or 540-441-8105.

      USC Summer Music Camp

      The University of South Carolina is excited to announce the dates for the 2010 USC Summer Music Camp: June 20-25. USC Bands have sponsored summer music camps for over three decades. Students attend from across the country and can choose from Symphonic Band Camp, Symphonic Percussion Camp, Drum Major Camp, or Marching Percussion Camp.  While housed on the USC-Columbia campus, students participate in ensemble rehearsals, master classes, private lessons, and special sessions.  Guest conductors and teachers make this camp a musically rewarding experience for all performers. Please contact SCAIHS@... for a registration form. Forms must be submitted by June 1, 2010.

      Generation Joshua Summer Camp

      Today, government often conducts itself as if the principles of the Constitution no longer apply. Many textbooks fail to teach that our rights come from God and not from government, and that government derives its power from the consent of the governed. It is vitally important that we prepare the next generation to defend liberty; yet sadly, even many Christian young people are unprepared to be leaders.

      Generation Joshua is engaged in the battle for the hearts, minds, and futures of America’s youth. We know that God wants us to be good stewards of our nation and the freedoms we still have in America. However, without raising a generation equipped to fight for the principles of liberty and justice for all, the bright light of freedom will fade into twilight.
      Generation Joshua’s iGovern Summer Leadership Camp is one of the best opportunities to prepare your children to be champions for freedom in America. At our iGovern leadership camps, students engage in hands-on education while learning to model Godly statesmanship and integrity. We create a mock government scenario which allows students to learn from their successes and failures. iGovern provides a Christian perspective on political leadership by applying scriptural principles and our nation’s founding documents to a weeklong simulation where students try their hands at governing.
      We encourage you to send your children to one of our weeklong iGovern Leadership Camps. At our camps (iGovern East on the campus of Patrick Henry College in Virginia from June 27–July 3; iGovern West in Colorado Springs, Colorado from August 15–21) students hear from respected speakers and participate in a congressional simulation and presidential election. Sending your student to iGovern helps assure that the next generation of Christian men and women are grounded in their faith and fully understand the true meaning of liberty.
      For more information on iGovern please visit the Generation Joshua website, then select either location. Competitively priced at $450 for HSLDA members and $550 for nonmembers, our East and West iGovern Leadership camps offer unique experiences that are sure to engage, encourage, and challenge your students to be the leaders God intends them to be.

      12.    Miscellaneous:

      Used Curriculum Sales

      LCHEA’s Annual Sale is Saturday, June 5, from 9-12 at the Charleston Baptist Church in Charleston, SC. For more information, please contact Suzy Vaile at momofthree@....

      Schooling in North Columbia (SINC) is having its annual used book sale on Friday, May 28th from 9:00-12:00 at Sandhills Community Church (on Hardscrabble and Two Notch Road). For further details, visit www.sinc.9f.com.

      Irmo Branch Library’s Friends Book Sale

      On May 15, from 8:30am-4:00pm, the Friends of the Irmo Branch Library will hold their Spring Book Sale in the library meeting room. Books of every description, adult and children’s fiction and nonfiction, will be offered at bargain prices. Some video tapes will also be available.

      Disclaimer:   Please do your own research.  The content included in this SCAIHS Advantage Update does not necessarily constitute official endorsement of products, services, events, or links listed.  Parental discretion should be exercised with all web links.

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. This communication may also contain material protected and governed by the Health Insurance and Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and the information it contains or if you are not the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail and the information it contains to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender of this message and delete the material from all computers.