Fwd: The First Tee of Aiken Early Registration

  • jandktuemler@atlanticbb.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 1 8:43 AM

      FYI...kim

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 7 3:15 AM
        Hi everyone,

        It's a tad cool out, probably too cool for moms to just sit outside and chat today.  The gym just doesn't seem to offer enough for the active boys to do (unless perhaps you've come up with something?)  So, anyone interested in hiking instead?

        Linda, Sam, and Max

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 7 4:51 AM
          Okay, I forgot to change the subject line....

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 7 5:13 AM
            That sounds great to me.  Hitchcock Woods?  We could meet at my house and walk from there, but we have to go down (and back up) a steep hill.  Not jogger friendly for those with little ones.

            The entrances on Dibble Road are nice and flat and wide if anyone needs to bring a jogger.

            Chris

            On Jan 7, 2010, at 7:51 AM, Linda Johnson wrote:

            Okay, I forgot to change the subject line....

            It's a tad cool out, probably too cool for moms to just sit outside and chat today.  The gym just doesn't seem to offer enough for the active boys to do (unless perhaps you've come up with something?)  So, anyone interested in hiking instead?

            Linda, Sam, and Max

              It's a tad cool out, probably too cool for moms to just sit outside and chat today.  The gym just doesn't seem to offer enough for the active boys to do (unless perhaps you've come up with something?)  So, anyone interested in hiking instead?

              Linda, Sam, and Max

            • Allison LaBorde
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 7 5:57 AM
                Catch you next week!

                Okay, I forgot to change the subject line....

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 7 7:35 AM
                  Looks like anyone who wants to hike will me at my house at noon and we can walk from here.

                  Call me for directions if you need them 648-7042.

                  Chris

                  Catch you next week!

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 7 7:47 AM
                    We'll be there at noon...

                    Linda

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 8 7:21 AM

                      Sorry we missed the hike. We did not get the notice until Friday morning, we still had a great time at the park with those that were there. Thanks everyone and welcome to the group Sherrie, Hope to see you again soon.

                      Candi and Courtney
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 8 10:19 AM
                        Sorry we missed you. I've been thinking of you. Some of the girls thought you might have moved to some land you were talking about that you had. Maybe we'll see you next week. Teresa

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 24, 2010
                          Hi everyone, just wanted to check and make sure that Park day is still Thursdays at 9 or if the time has changed? My son really enjoyed last week and doesn't want to miss this week. All the glasses that are being posted are for 6th grade and under? Which sound really fun by the way. Does anyone know of any classes in the area for 7th grade and older?

                          Thanks ladies and have a blessed day
                          Christie
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 24, 2010
                            Brandon was talking about Park and counting down. Said hecouldn't wait to see Cameron again. He said he liked him. It is thursday at 9 again this week.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 29 1:18 PM
                              Hey all! I don't know if there are any specific 'rules' to park day but I wanted to let everyone know that Gabs brought the Nerf gun last week and has been told not to do so again. I don't know how everyone feels about toy weapons so I've asked my kids to leave them at home. I apologize if it bothered anyone! See you all next week!

                              Krystal
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 30 5:14 AM
                                Don't worry about it, Krystal.  Sam and Max have been asking if they could bring their Nerf guns.  I only said no just because it wouldn't be fair if others didn't have them.  What does everyone think of Nerf guns?

                                Linda

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 30 6:29 AM
                                  I don't really have much of an opinion.  I see them to be a lot like dodge ball or tag.  I guess the only problem would be, like Linda said, some kids will be "unarmed."

                                  We are planning to bring a playground ball next week.

                                  Chris

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 30 7:52 AM
                                    Well, right now - the boys are playing "war" and having battles by hitting each other with sticks, throwing rocks, and pelting one another with whatever trash they find laying around in the park. Colin came home with bloody hands one week.

                                    In light of this, I think soft nerf guns would be a huge improvement.

                                    Colin must have a half-dozen guns (as I'm sure do many of our boys).  Let the kids bring extras to share...

                                    They can have their "war" with less injury.

                                    Just my opinion...

                                    Hey all! I don't know if there are any specific 'rules' to park day but I wanted to let everyone know that Gabs brought the Nerf gun last week and has been told not to do so again. I don't know how everyone feels about toy weapons so I've asked my kids to leave them at home. I apologize if it bothered anyone! See you all next week!

                                    Krystal

                                      Hey all! I don't know if there are any specific 'rules' to park day but I wanted to let everyone know that Gabs brought the Nerf gun last week and has been told not to do so again. I don't know how everyone feels about toy weapons so I've asked my kids to leave them at home. I apologize if it bothered anyone! See you all next week!

                                      Krystal

                                    • Andrea
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 30 1:55 PM
                                        although i hate weapons, i think you can't stop it. lets make a planned nerf day so they all know. we're just going to have to accept bullets will be lost.

                                        --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, teresa jara <teresajara@...> wrote:

                                        > They would probably get their nerf darts mixed up or lost.
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • Krystal
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 30 2:22 PM
                                          I don't mind the nerf guns at home but generally I don't like the idea of just 'open season' at the park. Although, like was mentioned, it's better than sticks and rocks! I really like the idea of a planned nerf day and that way anyone who doesn't like the idea can know it's happening and the kids who can participate can all suit up and get it out of their system! As for bullets being lost, I think the kids know it's just part of the process.

                                          ~k~

                                          --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea" <ablugrl@...> wrote:

                                          > although i hate weapons, i think you can't stop it. lets make a planned nerf day so they all know. we're just going to have to accept bullets will be lost.
                                          >
                                          > --
                                        • Allison LaBorde
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 30 3:22 PM
                                            this conversation makes girl drama look so much more fun.  throwing rocks and blood and guns....just another thing to look forward to in a few years.  sigh....

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 30 5:08 PM
                                              Ha.  We'll be the ones feeling smug when your girls are teens, or so I'm told (and fervently hoping).

                                              Linda

                                              this conversation makes girl drama look so much more fun.  throwing rocks and blood and guns....just another thing to look forward to in a few years.  sigh....

                                              I don't mind the nerf guns at home but generally I don't like the idea of just 'open season' at the park. Although, like was mentioned, it's better than sticks and rocks! I really like the idea of a planned nerf day and that way anyone who doesn't like the idea can know it's happening and the kids who can participate can all suit up and get it out of their system! As for bullets being lost, I think the kids know it's just part of the process.

                                              ~k~

                                              --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea" <ablugrl@...> wrote:

                                              > although i hate weapons, i think you can't stop it. lets make a planned nerf day so they all know. we're just going to have to accept bullets will be lost.
                                              >
                                              > --

                                            • christie
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 31 5:42 AM
                                                nerf day sounds great..Please post the Thursday it will be so I can make sure Cameron can come....

                                                Christie

                                                --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, Linda Johnson <linders_j@...> wrote:

                                                > Don't worry about it, Krystal.  Sam and Max have been asking if they could bring their Nerf guns.  I only said no just because it wouldn't be fair if others didn't have them.  What does everyone think of Nerf guns?
                                                >
                                                > Linda

                                              • Jackee Simmons
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011
                                                  LM*O - can one parent be appointed to referree the dart ownership matches???????

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011

                                                    I think we are going to need to "referee" the whole event.  Krystal is right when she says "open season" at the park is a bad idea...

                                                    And Colin pointed out to me that some of these Nerf Guns are pretty powerful and should not be fired at close range - especially if someone is at risk of getting hit in the face or eye.  He also told me that the reason the boys are having battles right now is that they feel they don't really have anything to do at the park.  The smaller kids have the playground equipment...which the older boys don't want to be on if there are little kids trying to have fun. So mostly they climb the trees and chase one another around...

                                                    Maybe we need to bring something - not necessarily toy guns - but something to promote more "group games". ?

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011
                                                      > I think we are going to need to "referee" the whole event.  Krystal is right
                                                      > when she says "open season" at the park is a bad idea...
                                                      >

                                                      > Maybe we need to bring something - not necessarily toy guns - but something to
                                                      > promote more "group games". ?

                                                      I agree that some referees would be a good idea. I was also thinking we could lay down just a few basic rules. Nothing too much so as to spoil the fun, but just go over basic game play. Like no aiming for the face and a way for kids to call a time out if they need it. I know my boys sometimes get angry because of getting hurt or when a misunderstanding happens and I have to step in and get them to take a moment before they can move on and play nice again. We may even want to mark out a battle field away from the playground since there are always other kids there that are not a part of our group.

                                                      Also, Chris mentioned the same thing about the battles resulting from being bored. I think the idea of bringing some balls and frisbees and such is a great idea.

                                                      ~k~