New in Aiken

  • sammears59
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2013
      Hi, My name is Peggy and our family recently moved to Aiken. I've been homeschooling for the last 20 years and this year I'll be schooling my 15 year old son who is a rising 10th grader. Could you share a little about your group and what activities are available for high school teens. I'm not using the public school option for virtual schooling although I have in past years. Thanks so much!
    • Daisy25001
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2013
        Hello and welcome!

        Our group meets Thursdays at the Odell Weeks Center park. There are a lot of boys about his age who come out - so I'm sure your son will make friends fast!

        Our group does not sponsor any activities per se - but we certainly network and apprise one another about great educational opportunities. We make a lot of plans while we meet in the park...

        Hope you can join us!

        --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "sammears59" <sammears59@...> wrote:

        > Hi, My name is Peggy and our family recently moved to Aiken. I've been homeschooling for the last 20 years and this year I'll be schooling my 15 year old son who is a rising 10th grader. Could you share a little about your group and what activities are available for high school teens. I'm not using the public school option for virtual schooling although I have in past years. Thanks so much!

      • Robin Guy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 2013
          Hi, Peggy,

          I homeschool my 15 year old son, Matthew. The Thursday park group is very informal and purely a social outlet for both kids & parents. We span all walks of life and represent many different approaches to home schooling. The older kids (they're mostly boys) play basketball, walk to the corner gas station for sodas, & hang out in the park while we parents relax, chat & exchange ideas. I hope you'll be able to join us - there is a solid group of teen boys for your son to meet, and we moms always welcome a new face, too.

          Welcome to Aiken,
          Robin

          Hi, My name is Peggy and our family recently moved to Aiken. I've been homeschooling for the last 20 years and this year I'll be schooling my 15 year old son who is a rising 10th grader. Could you share a little about your group and what activities are available for high school teens. I'm not using the public school option for virtual schooling although I have in past years. Thanks so much!

        • emilykohlbacher
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16 5:31 PM
            If you're interested in a secular group with field trips, check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ASHLeague/ They don't do weekly park days but are currently coming up with field trip ideas. Though there are some elem kids in the group, like mine, the majority are middle/high. It's member run, so outings are only limited to what people want to plan.