Fw: Kackleberry Farm Field Trips!

  • Chris McKeel
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 598 KB

    Kackleberry Farm sent this information.

    ----- Forwarded Message -----
    From: "lisa@..." <lisa@...>
    To: fourmckeels@...; emilykohlbacher@...; phlegalesfan@...; theotherbradford@...; ctkmops@...; mopsaiken@...
    Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:58 PM
    Subject: Kackleberry Farm Field Trips!

     Hi!  Just wanted to send you some info on our upcoming spring field trip!  It's so much fun and educational too!

  • cjstew129
    Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
      When is it? I've been wanting to take the kids there!

      Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
      Trying this again, They can be scheduled march 30th through May 11th if anyone wants to schedule one for the group.
      Message 4 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
        I couldn't open the attachment. Anyone else have a problem?

         Hi!  Just wanted to send you some info on our upcoming spring field trip!  It's so much fun and educational too!

        Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
          Got it! thanks Chris.

          On Mar 7, 2012, at 9:51 AM, cjstew129 wrote:

          When is it? I've been wanting to take the kids there!

           Hi!  Just wanted to send you some info on our upcoming spring field trip!  It's so much fun and educational too!

        • Sarah Howdyshell
          Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
            Hi everyone. I am looking for a good history book, focusing mainly on American History. I have a bunch of world history book's, but when my son was looking up the liberty bell, lo and behold, there was hardly anything in those about American History! Does anyone know of one? I don't follow a set curriculum, and I don't think there are any homeschooling stores around here, so I can't go and browse the books. Any help would be awesome. Thank's guys!
            -Sarah

          • LoveTeach4kids@aol.com
            Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2012
              Hi, Sarah,

              There is a local homeschool store. www.homeschoolbooksforless.com
              HWY 302- 6 miles east of Aiken

              I only have a few books in stock about American History.
              You are welcome to visit the store in person or online.
              I do not know what grade level you are looking for, but this is what I have right now. (consignors are bringing more books in each week. So check back often).

              Spectrum Grade 4 Geography of Regions of the USA
              A History of the US From Colonies to Country by Hakim
              just arrived and not online-A History of the US-revised third ed by Hakim. All the People since 1945.
              A Beka grade 4. This History of the US.
              BJU grade 4 Heritage Studies
              A Beka grade 11. United States History SET
              America's Providential History by Beliles and McDowell
              A Children's Companion Guide to America's History-History and Government by Millard
              American Pioneers and Patriots-CLP
              Let Freedom Ring - Basic Outline of American History (only 25cents!)
              Civil War Fandex
              Civil War Scholastic book

              American Trivia Game-not online..games are not listed on the website.

              Happy HomeSchooling!

              Stephanie Poole
              The Christian Curriculum Connection

              4081 Wagener Road
              Aiken, SC 29805

              Visit us online at www.homeschoolbooksforless.com

              Many books inform, but only one book transforms-
              The Bible!
            • Allison LaBorde
              Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2012
                We love The History of US, by Joy Hakim.  It is a 10 book series which is probably most appropriate for grades 4 and up, but we started it earlier and paraphrased parts sometimes and skipped parts other times.  It is a secular book, if that concerns you one way or another.  I have learned so much from it.  You can get used versions on Amazon pretty inexpensively.

                Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2012
                  Hi Sarah,
                  You've already gotten some good responses, but I have a three more. Hakim's books are excellent, but may be more than you want just yet.
                  One book my boys loved is "The American Story" by Jennifer Armstrong. It isn't a textbook, but rather a series of very engaging, often funny 100 short true stories that span American history from the first settlements to the election of 2000. It has the highlights (Paul Revere's ride, raising the flag on Iwo Jima), but also some lesser known stories that show our history as a cultural evolution, not just a series of wars. Each story has enough context to create historical backdrop.
                  Another resource is the series of books by Betsy and Giulio Maestro. Again, not textbooks, but more like someone telling the story of history, and substantially shorter than the Hakim books. The series begins with the explorers and goes through to the mid-1850's right now, seven books so far I think. I talked to the Maestro's, and they are working to complete more.
                  Finally, there's DK's Children's Encyclopedia of American History. Fun to just go through.
                  Linda Johnson

                  Message 10 of 14 , Mar 9, 2012
                    I wanted to list it here before I list it on Craigslist. It's red and black, 20" wheels.  $15

                    If anyone is interested I can bring it to park day.

                    Katherine
                  • Jackee Simmons
                    Message 11 of 14 , Mar 9, 2012
                      Are you planning on doing park today?  According to my computer, it is Friday.  I'm getting over a bad cold, but Sage and Zach are well and we can come to park if you want.

                      Jackee

                    • kiloyd@yahoo.com
                      Message 12 of 14 , Mar 9, 2012
                        I meant next week's pard day. :)  We are going to Hitchcock Woods at 12:30 if you want to come. Allison is meeting us there, I believe. I'm watching the weather to decide.

                        Katherine

                        Message 13 of 14 , Mar 9, 2012
                          I'm sick, so I hate to be in close quarters.  Otherwise I'd love to.  Plus I have to go fix a potty :-)  I have had three dr. appts. this week, so we're a little behind on school.   But catching up rapidly.  My kids are being so good!  Gotta love them!  If you like Hitchcock, I'd love to do it another day.

                          jackee

                          Message 14 of 14 , Mar 9, 2012
                            I've never been to Hitchcock but love hiking!  Yes, I'll go next week too!

                            Katherine