Re: [HSinA] HIitchcock Woods

  • kiloyd@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 29, 2012
      Thank you! We've been letterboxing before but have not tried geocaching. Will look it up.

      Katherine

      From: kiloyd@...
      Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:54:12 -0800

      I have never been, I have to Googlemap and find the entrances.  I just love hiking and don't do it that much because I won't go without another adult for safety.

      We can go anytime, I suggested 1:30 so we'd have time to have lunch and not hurry to get there. Plus it's supposed to rain in the morning.

      Katherine

      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1, 2012
        Well, my husband told me last night that he has this Friday off and that he wanted to do something with the kids. Hitchcock Woods is not his idea of fun. :( Can we have a rain check?  We don't have to wait this long, but I looked up the Hitchcock Woods website and the Aiken Horse Show in the Woods in the weekend of March 30-April 1. There's no charge if you walk in. We could do some hiking and stop by the show and watch for a while. I think Friday is the children's portion of the show and, if I remember correctly, there's a costume parade around noon. It would be fun for the kids ... they would just need to understand not to run around the horses. :)  The website is www.hitchcockwoods.org if you want to look it up.

        I also put the Festival of the Woods on our calendar. It's an annual event that focuses on the stewardship of the woods. This year it's on Saturday, September 29, and they will have guided tours, exhibits, family events, etc. (free admission).

        I love Hitchcock Woods and, although I know it's safe and there has never been any issues, I really don't want to go in by myself with the kids. I'd love to have someone to walk/hike with.

        Carol

        To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
        From: kiloyd@...
        Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:54:12 -0800

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1, 2012
          Yes! I love horses! I'm going to look up that show! thanks! :)

          I'm with you. It should be okay with just my children and me, but I will not let myself go hiking without another adult. Even though I often really want to!

          Anyone else want to go? If not, I'll look at next week and pick a day. Will just have to go earlier.

          Katherine

          To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
          From: kiloyd@...
          Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:54:12 -0800

          I have never been, I have to Googlemap and find the entrances.  I just love hiking and don't do it that much because I won't go without another adult for safety.

          We can go anytime, I suggested 1:30 so we'd have time to have lunch and not hurry to get there. Plus it's supposed to rain in the morning.

          Katherine

          Sounds like fun. Hitchcock Woods is the forest in the middle of Aiken. I actually used to work for the Hitchcock Woods Foundation. Which entrance did you have in mind? The one downtown next to the museum?
          Carol

          We haven't been to Hitchcock Woods yet. Anyone want to go Friday at 1:30, weather permitting? It might rain that morning.

          And I'll have my 10 yr old son too, for anyone with older boys that might want to come.

          Katherine, Kara, and Amanda

        • Krystal
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 3, 2012
            Katherine,

            I'd love to take the kids and go hiking in Hitchcock Woods. We've been here almost four years and haven't gone yet. My parents are visiting until Tuesday so if another day is scheduled I'd love to join you and anyone else who wants to go!!

            Krystal
          • kiloyd@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 3, 2012
              Why don't we watch the weather and try for Wed at about 11am?

              Katherine

              I'd love to take the kids and go hiking in Hitchcock Woods. We've been here almost four years and haven't gone yet. My parents are visiting until Tuesday so if another day is scheduled I'd love to join you and anyone else who wants to go!!

              Krystal

            • cjstew129
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 5, 2012
                Please count me in as well. Which entrance? I know that South Boundary has plenty of parking.

                Carol

                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 6, 2012
                  I hate to do this, but won't be able to go into Hitchcock Woods tomorrow. I twisted wrong yesterday and my lower back muscles have gone into spasms. I'm hanging out at the house on muscle relaxers for the next couple of days. I'll make a hike soon!

                  Carol

                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 6, 2012
                    Ooh, I had a hurt back last month. Feel better soon.

                    I realized that my son has early release Wed. So I'd have to go earlier or after 1:00. How about Friday at 12:30? If you are feeling better.

                    Does anyone else want to meet Friday?

                    Katherine

                    I hate to do this, but won't be able to go into Hitchcock Woods tomorrow. I twisted wrong yesterday and my lower back muscles have gone into spasms. I'm hanging out at the house on muscle relaxers for the next couple of days. I'll make a hike soon!

                    Carol

                    Please count me in as well. Which entrance? I know that South Boundary has plenty of parking.

                    Carol

                    Why don't we watch the weather and try for Wed at about 11am?

                    Katherine

                    I'd love to take the kids and go hiking in Hitchcock Woods. We've been here almost four years and haven't gone yet. My parents are visiting until Tuesday so if another day is scheduled I'd love to join you and anyone else who wants to go!!

                    Krystal

                  • Aly

                      =
                    • kiloyd@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 6, 2012
                        okay, let me know.

                        Now, where is an entrance and parking?

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 6, 2012
                          South Boundary s probably the best. Google 444 South Boundary. That's the Foundation office; it sits right at the entrance and they have a big parking lot.  That's also the entrance to "Devil's Backbone" and "Sand River" - I think I saw both of those places mentioned as geocache sites.

                          We will try to make it, but I won't know until Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. My back was feeling a little better, so I got up and cleaned the kitchen. WRONG MOVE!  Looking forward to hubby coming home so I can take pain meds and lay down.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                            There is a 50% chance of rain tomorrow. I will wait and see what the weather is doing in the morning.

                            Let's  meet at 12:30 if it's not raining. Shall we decide by 11:00?

                            Allison, where is the entrance you told me about?

                            Katherine
                          • Sarah Howdyshell
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 22, 2012
                              we are going to be going to the new mcd's around 12:15-12:30 ish. Anyone else going?
                              -sarah
                            • kiloyd@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 22, 2012
                                We're going to chance it and go to the park.

                                Katherine

                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 22, 2012
                                  brave!!!!!