Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Vaccinations

Expand Messages
  • sandyspence@bellsouth.net
    Just saw this event on Thursday about immunizations on Noble Breads and Grocers on Facebook.
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
    • natasha_autumn
      Shelley, I hesitate to be presumptuous, but my first impression of this event Holistic Approaches to Immune Health [without the use of vaccines] is
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
        Shelley,

        I hesitate to be presumptuous, but my first impression of this event "Holistic Approaches to Immune Health [without the use of vaccines]" is skeptical, if not incredulous, especially if what they're claiming is that using certain immune-building foods and supplementation is as effective as vaccines. If anyone does end up going, I'd be curious to hear what is said.

        I understand how the anti-vaccination movement fits within the context of a natural lifestyle that I'm sure many of us embody. My family is health-conscious (we eat organic whole foods, practice yoga, etc.) and we also vaccinate our children. We use a delayed schedule like Linda and we only give them one vaccine at a time, but we do it nonetheless. One reason we decided this was because we were doing a lot of international travel when our first child was born, and the risk of crossing paths with someone from another country who is more likely to be exposed to diseases we consider practically irradiated in the US, was too great. But more than that, I personally feel that those who choose not to vaccine have only been given that option because most everyone else does vaccinate, and I didn't want to be part of that phenomenon of riding coattails. The anti-vaccination movement is creating its own problem in the US because diseases like measles and whooping cough are making a comeback, and children are dying from them.

        When I was looking into vaccinating after my first child was born, I remember reading that the rare adverse neurological reactions documented from vaccines are actually more likely to be a result of the disease itself than from the vaccine. I also read an article in the NYTimes a while back that said the amount of mercury contained in thimerosal (the preservative found in most vaccines) is about the same amount found in a tuna sandwich. That being said, there are often options to get thimerosal-free vaccines which come in individual doses, and I always ask for and opt for this if it's available.

        Also, the famous Wakefield study linking the MMR vaccine to autism, which was published in 1998, was completely retracted and declared false a couple of years ago.

        There are lots of opinions out there, and I think it's important to remember that most of those opinions come from other people's opinions or second-hand information. I mean, how many of us have personally spoken with a bio-chemist or immunologist or virologist who does research on vaccines? That being said, all of our public health organizations (WHO, NIH, CDC, etc.) do encourage vaccinating children, and for my husband and me, that's who we've decided to trust.

        Good luck with your decision!

        Lane

        --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "sandyspence@..." <sandyspence@...> wrote:
        >
        > Just saw this event on Thursday about immunizations on Noble Breads and Grocers on Facebook.
        >
        > http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=s5jc5icab&v=001Ro55SkI4QPZwpmNC_1qj5Eup0nEV914SuD3259U703b1IYupOV77pvDlSMT3k5__UMfx2xOhH5aLa2-BKJgx4aQjsXf-Mgv9kwQReO9bEhComsULfHzOgTrc73Tmy7RhXS6Kbtqnxcx9MsJK8N6EfLlhikJSxdW_LslMnlPREJ2ScVr6ADBGGc4SRZ0TjfUvOe6B2VQXfg-6Nb-skmFcDRnkAqkzPKbT5h3UeoufyJuE7Ifx4DAsxUvMpUcNqnbq0L1MIC_IuCKZp6QloyYz_m0WyiZncgJO3Ex8PwrpWZNDcJVGmB-ieRtHhyiYMh1E-q1eSftrr4SVcSmE8bg28YvQ8S2EPsbt&id=preview
        >
        > --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, shelley fettinger <shelleybean@> wrote:
        > >
        > > �� Thank you for your knowledge and opinions!� Shell
        > >
        >
      • Allison LaBorde
        I would like to throw my 2 cents in too... with regard to what you should do about your own baby.   I think that a lot of people are so polarized on the
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
          I would like to throw my 2 cents in too... with regard to what you should do about your own baby.   I think that a lot of people are so polarized on the vaccine issue.  My personal approach is to look at each vaccine and say why should I and why shouldn't I and does it need to be now or should it be later.  Some vaccines prevent pretty serious diseases and some really don't.  Also, so much of your child's immunity at this point depends on if you are able to breastfeed, and weather your other children have immunity to the disease in question.  Good luck with deciding and with the baby!
          ~Allison   


          From: natasha_autumn <natasha.karmiol@...>
          To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:58 PM
          Subject: [HSinA] Re: Vaccinations

           
          Shelley,

          I hesitate to be presumptuous, but my first impression of this event "Holistic Approaches to Immune Health [without the use of vaccines]" is skeptical, if not incredulous, especially if what they're claiming is that using certain immune-building foods and supplementation is as effective as vaccines. If anyone does end up going, I'd be curious to hear what is said.

          I understand how the anti-vaccination movement fits within the context of a natural lifestyle that I'm sure many of us embody. My family is health-conscious (we eat organic whole foods, practice yoga, etc.) and we also vaccinate our children. We use a delayed schedule like Linda and we only give them one vaccine at a time, but we do it nonetheless. One reason we decided this was because we were doing a lot of international travel when our first child was born, and the risk of crossing paths with someone from another country who is more likely to be exposed to diseases we consider practically irradiated in the US, was too great. But more than that, I personally feel that those who choose not to vaccine have only been given that option because most everyone else does vaccinate, and I didn't want to be part of that phenomenon of riding coattails. The anti-vaccination movement is creating its own problem in the US because diseases like measles and whooping cough are making a comeback, and children are dying from them.

          When I was looking into vaccinating after my first child was born, I remember reading that the rare adverse neurological reactions documented from vaccines are actually more likely to be a result of the disease itself than from the vaccine. I also read an article in the NYTimes a while back that said the amount of mercury contained in thimerosal (the preservative found in most vaccines) is about the same amount found in a tuna sandwich. That being said, there are often options to get thimerosal-free vaccines which come in individual doses, and I always ask for and opt for this if it's available.

          Also, the famous Wakefield study linking the MMR vaccine to autism, which was published in 1998, was completely retracted and declared false a couple of years ago.

          There are lots of opinions out there, and I think it's important to remember that most of those opinions come from other people's opinions or second-hand information. I mean, how many of us have personally spoken with a bio-chemist or immunologist or virologist who does research on vaccines? That being said, all of our public health organizations (WHO, NIH, CDC, etc.) do encourage vaccinating children, and for my husband and me, that's who we've decided to trust.

          Good luck with your decision!

          Lane

          --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "sandyspence@..." <sandyspence@...> wrote:
          >
          > Just saw this event on Thursday about immunizations on Noble Breads and Grocers on Facebook.
          >
          > http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=s5jc5icab&v=001Ro55SkI4QPZwpmNC_1qj5Eup0nEV914SuD3259U703b1IYupOV77pvDlSMT3k5__UMfx2xOhH5aLa2-BKJgx4aQjsXf-Mgv9kwQReO9bEhComsULfHzOgTrc73Tmy7RhXS6Kbtqnxcx9MsJK8N6EfLlhikJSxdW_LslMnlPREJ2ScVr6ADBGGc4SRZ0TjfUvOe6B2VQXfg-6Nb-skmFcDRnkAqkzPKbT5h3UeoufyJuE7Ifx4DAsxUvMpUcNqnbq0L1MIC_IuCKZp6QloyYz_m0WyiZncgJO3Ex8PwrpWZNDcJVGmB-ieRtHhyiYMh1E-q1eSftrr4SVcSmE8bg28YvQ8S2EPsbt&id=preview
          >
          > --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, shelley fettinger <shelleybean@> wrote:
          > >
          > > �� Thank you for your knowledge and opinions!� Shell
          > >
          >



        • 6gatorguys
          Lane, I agree with your position 100%. Your argument was very well stated & is backed by solid scientific evidence. I am and always have been pro-vaccination,
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
            Lane,

            I agree with your position 100%. Your argument was very well stated & is backed by solid scientific evidence.

            I am and always have been pro-vaccination, and for emotional reasons as well.  By coincidence, my mother and my husband's father both come from the same region in Eastern Texas. Both were exposed to a TB epidemic in the early '40's, before the TB vaccine existed. No one got TB in my mother's family. They assumed it was good, clean farm living that warded it off. My father-in-law's family didn't fare as well, although they, too, were on a farm. The kids were orphaned due to the disease. This is a tragedy that can be avoided by immunization nowadays.

            Here's something to ponder : Four decades later, during a routine physical, Mom tested positive for TB, and a chest x-ray revealed old scarring on her lungs from the childhood exposure. She was therefore a carrier - someone who could unknowingly spread the disease to anyone not already immune.  It is safe to assume that there are still large pockets of the population both here and abroad that are unvaccinated & may be asymptomatic carriers like my Mom was. That frankly scares the heck out of me!

            Robin 

            From: natasha_autumn <natasha.karmiol@...>
            To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
            Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 1:58:06 PM
            Subject: [HSinA] Re: Vaccinations

             

            Shelley,

            I hesitate to be presumptuous, but my first impression of this event "Holistic Approaches to Immune Health [without the use of vaccines]" is skeptical, if not incredulous, especially if what they're claiming is that using certain immune-building foods and supplementation is as effective as vaccines. If anyone does end up going, I'd be curious to hear what is said.

            I understand how the anti-vaccination movement fits within the context of a natural lifestyle that I'm sure many of us embody. My family is health-conscious (we eat organic whole foods, practice yoga, etc.) and we also vaccinate our children. We use a delayed schedule like Linda and we only give them one vaccine at a time, but we do it nonetheless. One reason we decided this was because we were doing a lot of international travel when our first child was born, and the risk of crossing paths with someone from another country who is more likely to be exposed to diseases we consider practically irradiated in the US, was too great. But more than that, I personally feel that those who choose not to vaccine have only been given that option because most everyone else does vaccinate, and I didn't want to be part of that phenomenon of riding coattails. The anti-vaccination movement is creating its own problem in the US because diseases like measles and whooping cough are making a comeback, and children are dying from them.

            When I was looking into vaccinating after my first child was born, I remember reading that the rare adverse neurological reactions documented from vaccines are actually more likely to be a result of the disease itself than from the vaccine. I also read an article in the NYTimes a while back that said the amount of mercury contained in thimerosal (the preservative found in most vaccines) is about the same amount found in a tuna sandwich. That being said, there are often options to get thimerosal-free vaccines which come in individual doses, and I always ask for and opt for this if it's available.

            Also, the famous Wakefield study linking the MMR vaccine to autism, which was published in 1998, was completely retracted and declared false a couple of years ago.

            There are lots of opinions out there, and I think it's important to remember that most of those opinions come from other people's opinions or second-hand information. I mean, how many of us have personally spoken with a bio-chemist or immunologist or virologist who does research on vaccines? That being said, all of our public health organizations (WHO, NIH, CDC, etc.) do encourage vaccinating children, and for my husband and me, that's who we've decided to trust.

            Good luck with your decision!

            Lane

            --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "sandyspence@..." <sandyspence@...> wrote:
            >
            > Just saw this event on Thursday about immunizations on Noble Breads and Grocers on Facebook.
            >
            > http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=s5jc5icab&v=001Ro55SkI4QPZwpmNC_1qj5Eup0nEV914SuD3259U703b1IYupOV77pvDlSMT3k5__UMfx2xOhH5aLa2-BKJgx4aQjsXf-Mgv9kwQReO9bEhComsULfHzOgTrc73Tmy7RhXS6Kbtqnxcx9MsJK8N6EfLlhikJSxdW_LslMnlPREJ2ScVr6ADBGGc4SRZ0TjfUvOe6B2VQXfg-6Nb-skmFcDRnkAqkzPKbT5h3UeoufyJuE7Ifx4DAsxUvMpUcNqnbq0L1MIC_IuCKZp6QloyYz_m0WyiZncgJO3Ex8PwrpWZNDcJVGmB-ieRtHhyiYMh1E-q1eSftrr4SVcSmE8bg28YvQ8S2EPsbt&id=preview
            >
            > --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, shelley fettinger <shelleybean@> wrote:
            > >
            > > �� Thank you for your knowledge and opinions!� Shell
            > >
            >

          • kiloyd@yahoo.com
            I didn t think there was a vaccine for TB   Katherine From: 6gatorguys To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
              I didn't think there was a vaccine for TB
               
              Katherine

              From: 6gatorguys <6gatorguys@...>
              To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
              Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:04 PM
              Subject: Re: [HSinA] Re: Vaccinations

               
              Lane,

              I agree with your position 100%. Your argument was very well stated & is backed by solid scientific evidence.

              I am and always have been pro-vaccination, and for emotional reasons as well.  By coincidence, my mother and my husband's father both come from the same region in Eastern Texas. Both were exposed to a TB epidemic in the early '40's, before the TB vaccine existed. No one got TB in my mother's family. They assumed it was good, clean farm living that warded it off. My father-in-law's family didn't fare as well, although they, too, were on a farm. The kids were orphaned due to the disease. This is a tragedy that can be avoided by immunization nowadays.

              Here's something to ponder : Four decades later, during a routine physical, Mom tested positive for TB, and a chest x-ray revealed old scarring on her lungs from the childhood exposure. She was therefore a carrier - someone who could unknowingly spread the disease to anyone not already immune.  It is safe to assume that there are still large pockets of the population both here and abroad that are unvaccinated & may be asymptomatic carriers like my Mom was. That frankly scares the heck out of me!

              Robin 
              From: natasha_autumn <natasha.karmiol@...>
              To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
              Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 1:58:06 PM
              Subject: [HSinA] Re: Vaccinations

               
              Shelley,

              I hesitate to be presumptuous, but my first impression of this event "Holistic Approaches to Immune Health [without the use of vaccines]" is skeptical, if not incredulous, especially if what they're claiming is that using certain immune-building foods and supplementation is as effective as vaccines. If anyone does end up going, I'd be curious to hear what is said.

              I understand how the anti-vaccination movement fits within the context of a natural lifestyle that I'm sure many of us embody. My family is health-conscious (we eat organic whole foods, practice yoga, etc.) and we also vaccinate our children. We use a delayed schedule like Linda and we only give them one vaccine at a time, but we do it nonetheless. One reason we decided this was because we were doing a lot of international travel when our first child was born, and the risk of crossing paths with someone from another country who is more likely to be exposed to diseases we consider practically irradiated in the US, was too great. But more than that, I personally feel that those who choose not to vaccine have only been given that option because most everyone else does vaccinate, and I didn't want to be part of that phenomenon of riding coattails. The anti-vaccination movement is creating its own problem in the US because diseases like measles and whooping cough are making a comeback, and children are dying from them.

              When I was looking into vaccinating after my first child was born, I remember reading that the rare adverse neurological reactions documented from vaccines are actually more likely to be a result of the disease itself than from the vaccine. I also read an article in the NYTimes a while back that said the amount of mercury contained in thimerosal (the preservative found in most vaccines) is about the same amount found in a tuna sandwich. That being said, there are often options to get thimerosal-free vaccines which come in individual doses, and I always ask for and opt for this if it's available.

              Also, the famous Wakefield study linking the MMR vaccine to autism, which was published in 1998, was completely retracted and declared false a couple of years ago.

              There are lots of opinions out there, and I think it's important to remember that most of those opinions come from other people's opinions or second-hand information. I mean, how many of us have personally spoken with a bio-chemist or immunologist or virologist who does research on vaccines? That being said, all of our public health organizations (WHO, NIH, CDC, etc.) do encourage vaccinating children, and for my husband and me, that's who we've decided to trust.

              Good luck with your decision!

              Lane

              --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "sandyspence@..." <sandyspence@...> wrote:
              >
              > Just saw this event on Thursday about immunizations on Noble Breads and Grocers on Facebook.
              >
              >
              target=_blank>http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=s5jc5icab&v=001Ro55SkI4QPZwpmNC_1qj5Eup0nEV914SuD3259U703b1IYupOV77pvDlSMT3k5__UMfx2xOhH5aLa2-BKJgx4aQjsXf-Mgv9kwQReO9bEhComsULfHzOgTrc73Tmy7RhXS6Kbtqnxcx9MsJK8N6EfLlhikJSxdW_LslMnlPREJ2ScVr6ADBGGc4SRZ0TjfUvOe6B2VQXfg-6Nb-skmFcDRnkAqkzPKbT5h3UeoufyJuE7Ifx4DAsxUvMpUcNqnbq0L1MIC_IuCKZp6QloyYz_m0WyiZncgJO3Ex8PwrpWZNDcJVGmB-ieRtHhyiYMh1E-q1eSftrr4SVcSmE8bg28YvQ8S2EPsbt&id=preview
              >
              > --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, shelley fettinger <shelleybean@> wrote:
              > >
              > > �� Thank you for your knowledge and opinions!� Shell
              > >
              >



            • 6gatorguys
              Katherine, You re right. Tb vaccinations are not on the normal slate of shots in the U.S. since there isn t a high chance of transmission here. But
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
                Katherine,

                You're right. Tb vaccinations are not on the normal slate of shots in the U.S. since there isn't a high chance of transmission here. But drug-resistant strains have developed, and vaccinations are given overseas.... don't know what the criteria is.

                Robin


                From: "kiloyd@..." <kiloyd@...>
                To: "HSinA@yahoogroups.com" <HSinA@yahoogroups.com>
                Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 4:44:01 PM
                Subject: Re: [HSinA] Re: Vaccinations

                 

                I didn't think there was a vaccine for TB
                 
                Katherine

                From: 6gatorguys <6gatorguys@...>
                To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
                Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:04 PM
                Subject: Re: [HSinA] Re: Vaccinations

                 
                Lane,

                I agree with your position 100%. Your argument was very well stated & is backed by solid scientific evidence.

                I am and always have been pro-vaccination, and for emotional reasons as well.  By coincidence, my mother and my husband's father both come from the same region in Eastern Texas. Both were exposed to a TB epidemic in the early '40's, before the TB vaccine existed. No one got TB in my mother's family. They assumed it was good, clean farm living that warded it off. My father-in-law's family didn't fare as well, although they, too, were on a farm. The kids were orphaned due to the disease. This is a tragedy that can be avoided by immunization nowadays.

                Here's something to ponder : Four decades later, during a routine physical, Mom tested positive for TB, and a chest x-ray revealed old scarring on her lungs from the childhood exposure. She was therefore a carrier - someone who could unknowingly spread the disease to anyone not already immune.  It is safe to assume that there are still large pockets of the population both here and abroad that are unvaccinated & may be asymptomatic carriers like my Mom was. That frankly scares the heck out of me!

                Robin 
                From: natasha_autumn <natasha.karmiol@...>
                To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
                Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 1:58:06 PM
                Subject: [HSinA] Re: Vaccinations

                 
                Shelley,

                I hesitate to be presumptuous, but my first impression of this event "Holistic Approaches to Immune Health [without the use of vaccines]" is skeptical, if not incredulous, especially if what they're claiming is that using certain immune-building foods and supplementation is as effective as vaccines. If anyone does end up going, I'd be curious to hear what is said.

                I understand how the anti-vaccination movement fits within the context of a natural lifestyle that I'm sure many of us embody. My family is health-conscious (we eat organic whole foods, practice yoga, etc.) and we also vaccinate our children. We use a delayed schedule like Linda and we only give them one vaccine at a time, but we do it nonetheless. One reason we decided this was because we were doing a lot of international travel when our first child was born, and the risk of crossing paths with someone from another country who is more likely to be exposed to diseases we consider practically irradiated in the US, was too great. But more than that, I personally feel that those who choose not to vaccine have only been given that option because most everyone else does vaccinate, and I didn't want to be part of that phenomenon of riding coattails. The anti-vaccination movement is creating its own problem in the US because diseases like measles and whooping cough are making a comeback, and children are dying from them.

                When I was looking into vaccinating after my first child was born, I remember reading that the rare adverse neurological reactions documented from vaccines are actually more likely to be a result of the disease itself than from the vaccine. I also read an article in the NYTimes a while back that said the amount of mercury contained in thimerosal (the preservative found in most vaccines) is about the same amount found in a tuna sandwich. That being said, there are often options to get thimerosal-free vaccines which come in individual doses, and I always ask for and opt for this if it's available.

                Also, the famous Wakefield study linking the MMR vaccine to autism, which was published in 1998, was completely retracted and declared false a couple of years ago.

                There are lots of opinions out there, and I think it's important to remember that most of those opinions come from other people's opinions or second-hand information. I mean, how many of us have personally spoken with a bio-chemist or immunologist or virologist who does research on vaccines? That being said, all of our public health organizations (WHO, NIH, CDC, etc.) do encourage vaccinating children, and for my husband and me, that's who we've decided to trust.

                Good luck with your decision!

                Lane

                --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "sandyspence@..." <sandyspence@...> wrote:
                >
                > Just saw this event on Thursday about immunizations on Noble Breads and Grocers on Facebook.
                >
                >
                href="http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=s5jc5icab&v=001Ro55SkI4QPZwpmNC_1qj5Eup0nEV914SuD3259U703b1IYupOV77pvDlSMT3k5__UMfx2xOhH5aLa2-BKJgx4aQjsXf-Mgv9kwQReO9bEhComsULfHzOgTrc73Tmy7RhXS6Kbtqnxcx9MsJK8N6EfLlhikJSxdW_LslMnlPREJ2ScVr6ADBGGc4SRZ0TjfUvOe6B2VQXfg-6Nb-skmFcDRnkAqkzPKbT5h3UeoufyJuE7Ifx4DAsxUvMpUcNqnbq0L1MIC_IuCKZp6QloyYz_m0WyiZncgJO3Ex8PwrpWZNDcJVGmB-ieRtHhyiYMh1E-q1eSftrr4SVcSmE8bg28YvQ8S2EPsbt&id=preview">http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=s5jc5icab&v=001Ro55SkI4QPZwpmNC_1qj5Eup0nEV914SuD3259U703b1IYupOV77pvDlSMT3k5__UMfx2xOhH5aLa2-BKJgx4aQjsXf-Mgv9kwQReO9bEhComsULfHzOgTrc73Tmy7RhXS6Kbtqnxcx9MsJK8N6EfLlhikJSxdW_LslMnlPREJ2ScVr6ADBGGc4SRZ0TjfUvOe6B2VQXfg-6Nb-skmFcDRnkAqkzPKbT5h3UeoufyJuE7Ifx4DAsxUvMpUcNqnbq0L1MIC_IuCKZp6QloyYz_m0WyiZncgJO3Ex8PwrpWZNDcJVGmB-ieRtHhyiYMh1E-q1eSftrr4SVcSmE8bg28YvQ8S2EPsbt&id=preview
                >
                > --- In
                ymailto="mailto:HSinA%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="mailto:HSinA%40yahoogroups.com">HSinA@yahoogroups.com, shelley fettinger <shelleybean@> wrote:
                > >
                > > �� Thank you for your knowledge and opinions!� Shell
                > >
                >



              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.