Think about including band in next years plans

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2011
      I know many of you are starting to think about next year.  If you have a 5th grade student or higher, I strongly recommend you consider the AAA homeschool band. Alex started this year and has really loved it.  The director, Barb Rollins, has been wonderful.  She has 35 years of experience and is very enthusiastic about music.  They get grades every 9 weeks.

      If you compare it to any other music instruction, you will find it is very inexpensive. The rates may change next year, but this year we had to buy Alex an instrument-we found a used trumpet (or you can rent for $5/month) we paid $350 for the year and bought lesson books.  He has had weekly lessons and played in the Christmas parade, Christmas concert and will play in a competition in May.

      This is a link to an article outlining the benefits of having children play in a band or an orchestra:

      Another option is the youth orchestra at the Aiken Center for the Arts.  David is following that route and so far it has been much more expensive, but he is really enjoying it also.  He has to have private lessons for a year and he chose cello (we are renting for $50/month).  The tuition for orchestra is only $75 per semester.  I don't know much else about it because David won't be able to audition until August.  Does anyone else have any details? I will report back once we have some experience.

      OK, I'll get off my soapbox!  See you at the park!

      Chris

      *Aiken Youth Orchestra
      Since 2002, the Center has supported the development of the Aiken Youth Orchestra (AYO), which gives over 50 area students the opportunity to participate in a strings and orchestral program. Auditions are held twice per year with the program expanding to include many different instruments. Many of Aiken Youth Orchestra's participants continue their musical careers in college and beyond. Concerts are held several times per year usually during the holidays and in the Spring. Special appearances are made at Hopeland Gardens during their concert series, the Etheredge Center before the Augusta Symphony performances, Aikens' Makin', the Augusta Lynx Games and various other community events.