Re: new!

  • Krystal
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hello Yeni and Welcome! I'm Krystal and I understand your husbands concerns over your daughters social life. We do get together every Thursday at Odell Weeks park and there are plenty of girls your daughters age! Also, it has been my experience that homeschooling does not in any way hinder your childs interaction, rather makes it better. What I mean is, that you as a parent can over see her social interaction and guide her instead of throwing her to the wolves in a typical classroom or playground setting. Homeschool children tend to learn from their parents and other trusted adults how to act and I have found this to be very helpful for my kids. Please feel free to join us at the park!

      Krystal

      --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "bgbgdiaz" <yeni.acebo@...> wrote:

      > hello all! i am considering homeschooling my 6 year old daughter... but am very very new to all this and i came across this group!
      > any pointers and/or advice please?
      > mainly i wanted to know about the social life of homeschooled kids... my husband is a little hesitant because he says they have no or very limited social interaction...
      > do you guys actually meet up as a group and how often?s so the kids get to play with each other?
      > thank you very much!
      >
      > Yeni

    • bgbgdiaz
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
        Hi Krystal! And thanks to all.. Sorry I missed my intro...
        My name I yeni, I have two daughters, ages 6 and 1... My husband works at SRS... Been living in Aiken for about 3 years.

        My daughter currently goes to OLP school in N augusta, but the school itself has lost quality and great teachers... Plus the drive is awful...I spend only on school driving, about 2.5 hrs driving/ day... So along with many other things i think we need change..

        Thanks for the info on the groups... I do agree with the article on socialization recently posted... It's all a misconception.. I will find a way to make it to the park... But it's supposed to snow tomorrow? Maybe next week..

        Could I bring my 1 year old along? Or is strictly 6-13 year olds?
        Thanks!

        --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "Krystal" <momnomorenoless@...> wrote:

        > Hello Yeni and Welcome! I'm Krystal and I understand your husbands concerns over your daughters social life. We do get together every Thursday at Odell Weeks park and there are plenty of girls your daughters age! Also, it has been my experience that homeschooling does not in any way hinder your childs interaction, rather makes it better. What I mean is, that you as a parent can over see her social interaction and guide her instead of throwing her to the wolves in a typical classroom or playground setting. Homeschool children tend to learn from their parents and other trusted adults how to act and I have found this to be very helpful for my kids. Please feel free to join us at the park!
        >
        > Krystal
        >

        > --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "bgbgdiaz" <yeni.acebo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > hello all! i am considering homeschooling my 6 year old daughter... but am very very new to all this and i came across this group!
        > > any pointers and/or advice please?
        > > mainly i wanted to know about the social life of homeschooled kids... my husband is a little hesitant because he says they have no or very limited social interaction...
        > > do you guys actually meet up as a group and how often?s so the kids get to play with each other?
        > > thank you very much!
        > >
        > > Yeni

      • Linda Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
          I was homeschooled. Ppl are often shocked when they find out b/c I don't fit the stereotype. I had friends who homeschooled and we often did projects together. I was involved in two homeschool groups who met weekly for PE and monthly field trips. I was involved in karate, music lessons, church, girl scouts, and rec league basketball. I had many opportunities for social interaction. I even went to prom for 3 years b/c guys at the high schools asked me. :) I didn't feel that I missed out in anything except sitting in a classroom with a bunch of kids and a teacher lecturing me. The projects at home were much more fun!! :) I am homeschooling my pre-schoolers now and will be starting the oldest in Kindergarten in August. I'm not very involved in this group right now b/c my kids are so young. I hope the regulars don't mind me jumping in. :)

          Linda S. :)

          To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
          From: yeni.acebo@...
          Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 20:05:32 +0000
          Subject: [HSinA] Re: new!

          Hi Krystal! And thanks to all.. Sorry I missed my intro...
          My name I yeni, I have two daughters, ages 6 and 1... My husband works at SRS... Been living in Aiken for about 3 years.

          My daughter currently goes to OLP school in N augusta, but the school itself has lost quality and great teachers... Plus the drive is awful...I spend only on school driving, about 2.5 hrs driving/ day... So along with many other things i think we need change..

          Thanks for the info on the groups... I do agree with the article on socialization recently posted... It's all a misconception.. I will find a way to make it to the park... But it's supposed to snow tomorrow? Maybe next week..

          Could I bring my 1 year old along? Or is strictly 6-13 year olds?
          Thanks!

          --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "Krystal" <momnomorenoless@...> wrote:

          > Hello Yeni and Welcome! I'm Krystal and I understand your husbands concerns over your daughters social life. We do get together every Thursday at Odell Weeks park and there are plenty of girls your daughters age! Also, it has been my experience that homeschooling does not in any way hinder your childs interaction, rather makes it better. What I mean is, that you as a parent can over see her social interaction and guide her instead of throwing her to the wolves in a typical classroom or playground setting. Homeschool children tend to learn from their parents and other trusted adults how to act and I have found this to be very helpful for my kids. Please feel free to join us at the park!
          >
          > Krystal
          >

          > --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "bgbgdiaz" <yeni.acebo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > hello all! i am considering homeschooling my 6 year old daughter... but am very very new to all this and i came across this group!
          > > any pointers and/or advice please?
          > > mainly i wanted to know about the social life of homeschooled kids... my husband is a little hesitant because he says they have no or very limited social interaction...
          > > do you guys actually meet up as a group and how often?s so the kids get to play with each other?
          > > thank you very much!
          > >
          > > Yeni

        • Yeni
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
            Hi Linda!
            Wow looks like you had a lot going on during your time!... That's awesome tho... I met with a mother in Johnston the other day and her kids r high schoolers and I "interviewed" them kinda lol... And they said that they were not deprived from social life at all... And would still rather be home-schooled than go to public school.

            I guess I just need my final reassurance before I pull my daughter out of school and finish up this school year to start next year fresh...

            Hope its successful!

            Thanks for sharing your story!
            It's greatly appreciated!

            Sent from my iPhone
            803.426.0171
            "There are two cardinal sins from which all others spring:
            Impatience and lazziness."
          • Linda Smith
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
              I experienced two different private schools and two public schools before we decided to homeschool and I LOVED homeschool. It was definitely my favorite. Only one of the private schools came close to being that fun. :) That's why I want to do it with my kids. It was my favorite! :) Since all children are different, I am open to the idea of them going to public school if I think that would be a better fit for them. I'll just wait and see. :)

              Linda S.

              To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
                Yeah
                Mine is in private school but even the quality of it has gone down...
                Guess the economy is really affecting it all...

                I think a lot of the morals and values that get lost in school being public or private prevail in home school which is why I love it so much... There's too much kids learn in school nowadays that they shouldn't...

                To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
                  Welcome! Just so you know there are several homeschool groups here in Aiken.  HAP (Homeschool Advantage Program) meets Thurs. 9:30-2pm. K-6th. Lots of girls, some boys.  Co-op at Grace Pres. off the bypass meets 1st and 3rd Thurs. 2:30-4pm. K-12th, broken into groups by grade and also several girls and some boys.  Aiken Center for the Arts has home school art classes 10-11:30am.  The art classes have been so successful that they have Mon. groups and Tues. groups. The Tues. moms usually go to the Blue Moon for tea during the class and visit with each other.  This is just a sample of what is available for home schoolers in Aiken.  Call any time- Laura Paxton (c) 640-4596.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
                    Just for anyones information the high school home schoolers have a large variety of activities available; yearbook committee , home school prom ( May 14th with a masquerade ball theme), photography....just about anything.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 9, 2011
                      I am really excited to hear from an adult who was homeschooled, Linda S..  ....and Yeni, I would love to meet you and your family this week, next week, whenever.  I have a 6 year old daughter too (and three other kids).  They spend lots of time with other people between all of their activities, and our field trips and our great and wonderful playgroup.  It's probably much better quality time than what they would get at school.  They also listen better to adults than they might if they went to school and learned how completely uncool adult authority figures are.  I think you will like homeschooling, and you can always put your daughter back in school if it doesn't work out.
                      ~Allison

                      To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
                      From: yeni.acebo@...
                      Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 20:05:32 +0000

                      Hi Krystal! And thanks to all.. Sorry I missed my intro...
                      My name I yeni, I have two daughters, ages 6 and 1... My husband works at SRS... Been living in Aiken for about 3 years.

                      My daughter currently goes to OLP school in N augusta, but the school itself has lost quality and great teachers... Plus the drive is awful...I spend only on school driving, about 2.5 hrs driving/ day... So along with many other things i think we need change..

                      Thanks for the info on the groups... I do agree with the article on socialization recently posted... It's all a misconception.. I will find a way to make it to the park... But it's supposed to snow tomorrow? Maybe next week..

                      Could I bring my 1 year old along? Or is strictly 6-13 year olds?
                      Thanks!

                      --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "Krystal" <momnomorenoless@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Yeni and Welcome! I'm Krystal and I understand your husbands concerns over your daughters social life. We do get together every Thursday at Odell Weeks park and there are plenty of girls your daughters age! Also, it has been my experience that homeschooling does not in any way hinder your childs interaction, rather makes it better. What I mean is, that you as a parent can over see her social interaction and guide her instead of throwing her to the wolves in a typical classroom or playground setting. Homeschool children tend to learn from their parents and other trusted adults how to act and I have found this to be very helpful for my kids. Please feel free to join us at the park!
                      >
                      > Krystal
                      >

                      > --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, "bgbgdiaz" <yeni.acebo@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > hello all! i am considering homeschooling my 6 year old daughter... but am very very new to all this and i came across this group!
                      > > any pointers and/or advice please?
                      > > mainly i wanted to know about the social life of homeschooled kids... my husband is a little hesitant because he says they have no or very limited social interaction...
                      > > do you guys actually meet up as a group and how often?s so the kids get to play with each other?
                      > > thank you very much!
                      > >
                      > > Yeni

                    • bgbgdiaz
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 10, 2011
                        Hey allison!
                        Thanks! I will sure let u know when were available maybe we can get the kids together one time...
                        Yeah I'm decided girls, I think I'm going ahead with homeschooling....!

                        --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, Allison LaBorde <chimichurriandt@...> wrote:

                        > I am really excited to hear from an adult who was homeschooled, Linda S..
                        > ....and Yeni, I would love to meet you and your family this week, next week,
                        > whenever. I have a 6 year old daughter too (and three other kids). They spend
                        > lots of time with other people between all of their activities, and our field
                        > trips and our great and wonderful playgroup. It's probably much better quality
                        > time than what they would get at school. They also listen better to adults than
                        > they might if they went to school and learned how completely uncool adult
                        > authority figures are. I think you will like homeschooling, and you can always
                        > put your daughter back in school if it doesn't work out.
                        > ~Allison
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Laura Paxton
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 10, 2011
                          Yeah!!

                          Thanks! I will sure let u know when were available maybe we can get the kids together one time...
                          Yeah I'm decided girls, I think I'm going ahead with homeschooling....!

                          --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, Allison LaBorde <chimichurriandt@...> wrote:

                          > I am really excited to hear from an adult who was homeschooled, Linda S..
                          > ....and Yeni, I would love to meet you and your family this week, next week,
                          > whenever. I have a 6 year old daughter too (and three other kids). They spend
                          > lots of time with other people between all of their activities, and our field
                          > trips and our great and wonderful playgroup. It's probably much better quality
                          > time than what they would get at school. They also listen better to adults than
                          > they might if they went to school and learned how completely uncool adult
                          > authority figures are. I think you will like homeschooling, and you can always
                          > put your daughter back in school if it doesn't work out.
                          > ~Allison
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • bgbgdiaz
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 10, 2011
                            Haha thanks Laura!
                            i will try to send in my paperwork today and start the process!
                            exciting!

                            --- In HSinA@yahoogroups.com, Laura Paxton <plpaxton@...> wrote:

                            > Yeah!!

                          • Laura Paxton
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 10, 2011
                              That's great!  If you have any questions just ask this is a great group of people.  -Laura