new member!

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2011
      Hi, my name is Jennifer OBriant. I am a doula and stay-at-home mother of two, Raelyn and Liam, ages 5 and 10 months. My husband works for The Aiken Standard and his job moved us here in May of last year. Since then I have been toying with the idea of homeschooling and now that the end of Raelyn's first year of public school approaches, I am almost certain that is what we are going to do. But frankly I'm terrified. I would love to meet all of you wonderful parents and learn from all of you. Thank you!
    • Laura Paxton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2011
        Welcome Jennifer.  I'm sure your being bombarded with all sorts of information. After you have the chance to talk to several different parents and learn all the different options you might be even more terrified, but please know that you have the support of a wonderful group of people who have been there.  I've taught all five of my children at various times in their lives.  My twins are twenty and are attending USC Aiken.  My seventeen year old is about to graduate South Aiken.  I have two left at home that I teach, one is special needs and the other in high school.  Feel free to call any time 640-4596. If you want to connect with other families with young children I can give you that information as well.
                 Always remember you CAN do this. -Laura

        Hi, my name is Jennifer OBriant. I am a doula and stay-at-home mother of two, Raelyn and Liam, ages 5 and 10 months. My husband works for The Aiken Standard and his job moved us here in May of last year. Since then I have been toying with the idea of homeschooling and now that the end of Raelyn's first year of public school approaches, I am almost certain that is what we are going to do. But frankly I'm terrified. I would love to meet all of you wonderful parents and learn from all of you. Thank you!

      • shelley fettinger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2011
          Welcome!!!  Homeschooling can be a little scary to start but I think you'll love it as much as the rest of us do!  Here's my theory on it....if I can teach my child to feed themselves, walk, talk, ride a bike, use the toilet and how many countless other things why couldn't I teach them reading, math, or any other thing they need to know?  So glad to have you join us!

          Shell

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2011
            Jennifer,

            Homeschooling is much harder and much easier than you think.  At the age of your daughter, though, you would have a hard time going wrong.  If you just read lots of good books to her on a variety of topics and do crafts or projects on those topics, she will get at least as much as in school.  And you will find that almost everything you do, whether a shopping trip (she can weigh the fruit) or a walk in the park (look for the signs of spring), has value with a little gentle direction.

            Come join our group at the park!

            Linda (with Sam, 10, and Max, 7)

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2011
              Hi Jennifer,

              Plan to come meet us on a Thursday at the O'dell Weeks playground.  We arrive at noon and stay until around two or so.  We love to talk about homeschooling.  You are also welcome to join us for mom's night out, Friday, Feb 11th at Pizza Joint.  We will meet at 7.

              Sometime this spring we will have a get together where everyone brings their text books and stuff so we can see what is available and make choices for next year.  You will probably find that very helpful.

              Looking forward to meeting you.

              Chris McKeel