      From: 6gatorguys <6gatorguys@...>
      To: HSinA@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:04 PM
      Subject: Re: [HSinA] Re: Vaccinations

      Lane,

      I agree with your position 100%. Your argument was very well stated & is backed by solid scientific evidence.

      I am and always have been pro-vaccination, and for emotional reasons as well.  By coincidence, my mother and my husband's father both come from the same region in Eastern Texas. Both were exposed to a TB epidemic in the early '40's, before the TB vaccine existed. No one got TB in my mother's family. They assumed it was good, clean farm living that warded it off. My father-in-law's family didn't fare as well, although they, too, were on a farm. The kids were orphaned due to the disease. This is a tragedy that can be avoided by immunization nowadays.

      Here's something to ponder : Four decades later, during a routine physical, Mom tested positive for TB, and a chest x-ray revealed old scarring on her lungs from the childhood exposure. She was therefore a carrier - someone who could unknowingly spread the disease to anyone not already immune.  It is safe to assume that there are still large pockets of the population both here and abroad that are unvaccinated & may be asymptomatic carriers like my Mom was. That frankly scares the heck out of me!

      Robin