Re: (unknown)

  • schultz60015
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2010
      Linda,

      I think the most innovative thing I have seen lately is Best Buy's ROWE "Results Only Work Environment"

      http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_50/b4013001.htm

      I don't know if it works, but it is an innovation.
      Best,
      Jim
    • Linda M Konstan
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2010
        Interesting that no responses (except 2) have come in. Is it because HR is
        just not innovative? We see the word all the time. Consulting firms are
        claiming they provide "innovative HR" solutions....

        Linda Konstan

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2010
          Linda,

          Here is a quickie, courtesy of Yahoo! Finance; I'll send along some of my
          thoughts later this weekend:

          http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/108815/ten-management-practices-to-
          axe

          Make a Great Day!

          Gary Lear, President & CEO
          Author of Leadership Lessons From the Medicine Wheel: The Seven Elements of High
          Performance

          Resource Development Systems LLC
          Managing the Human Side of Business (sm)

          gelear@...   www.ResourceDevelopmentSystems.com

          (c) 2010 permission denied to use this post in any other forum or in any way
          other than on the discussion list that it was originally posted.
        • Gary Lear
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 14, 2010
            Linda,

            It depends on what you are looking for when you ask about "Innovative HR." As
            you mentioned, there are scores of HR consultancies that are offering
            "innovative HR," but what they mean by that I have no idea. Most of them are
            repackaging the same old stuff and calling it something else. "Your performance
            appraisal system not working for you? Let us come in and set up an automated
            performance management system that will let you conduct and track your
            performance appraisals online." Doing the same thing and calling it something
            different isn't innovative HR.

            On the other hand, there are scores and scores of companies who are doing
            innovative things. Jim Schultz shared about Best Buy's approach to ditching
            time keeping and work schedules and going to a results orientated workplace,
            which is very innovative. SAS Institute has done away with sick leave and allows
            employees to take time off for illness whenever they need it. They also have
            flattened the management hierarchy, as has W.L. Gore. In fact, at Gore the
            employees choose their team leaders, and as projects change, so do team leaders.

            Then there are organizations like Nucor Steel, who also have a very flat
            management hierarchy, and who also have had to go out and literally had to
            protect union representatives from their employees who didn't want the union
            around. And there are also organizations like Cracker Barrel Restaurants, who
            have made quality and consistency of product and service a part of their culture
            through the use of a very comprehensive training system.

            The problem is that you simply just can't start copying what others are doing
            successfully and make those approaches your own. Each of those approaches was
            chosen by the organization that is using them because they fit with their
            organization's culture and operations. Second, most of these approaches require
            high levels of trust by both management and employees, yet, most organizations
            simply don't have trust levels that are high enough to allow some of these
            approaches to work.

            In essence, an organization must find what works best for it based on its own
            Vision (an Aligned Purpose, Values and Goals), and what will help it create a
            culture that will allow it to leverage People to accomplish its Vision. This
            probably means small steps in realigning the "people systems" of the
            organization so that they will work well with the new culture of high
            performance (which also includes being innovative).

            Personally, I think it takes a different mindset by HR to come up with the
            innovative HR practices that will allow it to do these things. I've shared on
            here previously three of the perspectives that I think HR needs to change in
            order to have that different mindset (they are in our whitepaper "Getting a Seat
            at the Table: New Perspectives for HR" on our website). I think one of the
            biggest changes in perspective is moving from everything we are doing is to
            protect our butts when the day comes to get rid of employees to that of working
            our butts off to find and keep the best employees. When we change this mindset
            we start doing things differently in our organization and we put our emphasis on
            different things.

            I think that when HR sets up processes (note processes, not policies and rules)
            it needs to be able to answer positively to a few questions:

            1. Will this process make customers happy?
            2. Will this process help managers to do their jobs better and allow them to
            engage employees?
            3. Will this process make employees happy?
            4. Will this process allow the organization to better manage itself?
            5. Will this process allow the organization to make more money and achieve its
            goals in the long-term?
            6. Will this process make sense a year from now? 5 years from now?

            I'd be willing to wager that there are a whole lot of HR processes that can't
            answer to the affirmative on all 6 of those questions.

            So, is this the kind of thing you were looking for Linda? If not, then tell me
            a bit more about what you are looking for and I'll see what I can do from there.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 14, 2010
              This is great, Gary. It gives me much to think about.

              Linda Konstan

              Sensible Human Resources Consulting

              25+ years taking legal compliance and employee relations off your hands!

              Office: 303-722-8525

              Mobile: 303-257-4342

              Fax: 303-722-0706

              linda@...

              www.lindakonstan.com

              Ok, here's the legal mumbo jumbo: A reminder that I am not an attorney firm,
              nor do I profess to be. I am not giving legal advice or opinion, and my work
              is not intended as such, therefore those seeking legal advice should contact
              the appropriate practitioner.

              gelear@... <mailto:gelear%40rds-net.com>

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 15, 2010
                If anyone knows a Peoplesoft Enterprise Campus Solution pro who would like
                to work for a major New York City college (salary $150K range), please tell
                them to contact me.

                Trying to help colleague back east.

                Thanks,

                Linda Konstan

                linda@...

              • Gary Lear
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 16, 2010
                  David,

                  You mentioned about providing computer access to employees in regard to our
                  discussion on Innovative HR. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking
                  about, but here is an interesting article from Finance Tech News on something
                  similar:

                  http://www.financetechnews.com/snow-days-could-soon-be-extinct/

                  Make a Great Day!

                  Gary Lear, President & CEO
                  Author of Leadership Lessons From the Medicine Wheel: The Seven Elements of High
                  Performance

                  Resource Development Systems LLC
                  Managing the Human Side of Business (sm)

                  gelear@...   www.ResourceDevelopmentSystems.com

                  (c) 2010 permission denied to use this post in any other forum or in any way
                  other than on the discussion list that it was originally posted.
                • David Kalish
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 16, 2010
                    Gary:

                    Thank you for the link.  Yes, that is one consequence of doing what I was talking about.

                    David Kalish

                    gelear@rds-net. com   www.ResourceDevelop mentSystems. com