Follow up on insurance question

  • Jeanne Albert
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2007
      Thanks to all that contributed to my question about
      insurance. Maybe if I give a bit more detail it would
      help clarify:

      I own a small company, myself plus two on call
      consultants, where we provide outsourced HR solutions
      to small to medium sized companies. Most of the work
      to date has been project related, i.e. developing a
      handbook, providing training, workshops, etc. We now
      have the opportunity to become a fully outsourced HR
      department for a small manufacturing firm, that needs
      our help in the Health and Safety arena and then the
      development of other HR fundamentals. (I am located in
      Canada)

      when speaking with a friend of mine in the business
      she counselled us to have both personal injury
      insurance, in case we get injured at our clients site,
      but also liability insurance. This part arose b/c the
      firm has been targeted for a work well audit and she
      didn't want the client (if they didn't pass the first
      round) to turn around and sue me). I thought that if I
      made that clear in my talks with the President and
      mentioned it in the simple letter of agreement that
      would suffice. But my friend is adament that if I
      don't have liability language in the contract and
      insurance that I could be opening myself up to a real
      mess if things go bad.

      Hence my question to the group.
      My own humble opinion is that I have never had to do
      this before, all of the clients that I have had to
      date, have all signed a very simple letter of
      agreement and walked away happy. That being said,
      there are always those bad nuts out there that make
      extenuating circumstances possible!

      I plan on calling my insurance company to see what if
      anything they offer in this arena.
      Would be interested if given the particulars of the
      situation that there is something else to consider.

      Again, thank you for your advice, very much
      appreciated!

      Jeanne
      President
      Fluid Business Solutions