Re: [HRCRomance] Intro

  • Lynne Connolly
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2007
      Well they were very damp (stone walls hold the damp beautifully) so you'd get rheumatism and arthritis fairly early, you'd have the garderobes to go in, but there wouldn't be any privacy. Despite what you read in the novels, most people in the middle ages didn't have their own bedrooms, they slept communally in the hall with everyone else. The solar was a development of the late middle ages, but before then people just didn't think like that.
      Scottish lairds didn't have castles, that was for the great lords, and they weren't very nice, they were defensive structures, not homes.
      And no detergent. Only soap. Soap doesn't wash you hair or clothes very efficiently, it always leaves a residue that can build up over time.
      If you had servants to wash, clean and cook it might be okay. But no books, they were handwritten, extremely precious and counted as treasures.
      No ipods, no TV's, no cars, no trains, no planes, oh dear me no, not for me!

      I think if it weren't for the lack of in door plumbing, I would be so happy to live in a Medieval castle with a hot Scottish laird.

      --
      Untitled Document

      Lynne Connolly, author of Sensual Historical Romance
      visit http: //www. lynneconnolly. com

      What if you're in love - but you can't make love?
      Last Chance, My Love from Samhain Publishing

    • Jacquie Rogers
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
        Hi, everyone!

        I just joined this group--don't ask me why I didn't know it was here before
        since I have a page on the HRC site.  Some of us are a little more aware
        than others. lol.

        Anyway, I'm a romance reader and writer.  I have one book and three short
        stories out as of now.  I'm currently promoting the book, which takes a lot
        of time, and I have a contest on my website now.  Two, actually.

        As for reading, I read nearly anything except contemporary and, sorry
        everyone, vampires.  I'd love to read a western paranormal.  Knights,
        pirates, cowboys--ya gotta love 'em all.  Fantasy is fun--I'm currently
        obsessed with faeries and dragons.  Oh, and I prefer funny stories.  When a
        reviewer proudly says, "This book made me cry," well, I'll think twice
        before I pick up that book.  Everyone else seems to love to have their
        heartstrings pulled.  So now you know why I avoid dark vamp stories. lol.
        Even though I don't care for contemps, I'm enjoying a few urban fantasies.

        I'm on several places on the web so please friend me:
        myspace - http://www.myspace.com/jacquierogers
        bebo - http://www.bebo.com/jacquie-rogers
        shelfari - http://www.shelfari.com/jacquie-rogers
        ning - http://faeryworld.ning.com
        blog - http://jacquierogers.blogspot.com

        and a whole bunch more places.  Whew!

        That's probably way more than anyone wanted to know. :)))

        Jacquie Rogers   http://www.JacquieRogers.com
        Faery Special Romances, http://tinyurl.com/22a5e9
        Book video: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v524952yQd4rgHH
        Royalties donated to Children's Tumor Foundation
        ending neurofibromatosis through research
      • Terry Spear
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
          Hi Jacquie!
          It took me forever to join the group also. Super group!  Good luck on your stories! Terry

        • Anne Whitfield
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
            Welcome to the group, Jacquie.

            Lovely to see you here.

            Regards, Anne.~
            http://www.annewhitfield.com
            Historical & Contemporary author

          • Renee Kautz
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
              I know this is a little late with the time you posted...but better late than never. Welcome Jacquie....Renee

[...]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Jacquie Rogers

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 23, 2007
                  Hi, Jacquie. I'm a lurker, always reading the post but seldom
                  posting. welcome to the group
                  larriane
                  --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, Renee Kautz <kautzrenee@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I know this is a little late with the time you posted...but better
                  late than never. Welcome Jacquie....Renee

                • Horton, Lise
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 23, 2007
                    Welcome Jacquie and don't apologize for your reading preferences ... if we all read the same thing, think how boring it would be!

                    Tell us more about what your books and stories are about?

                    And the idea of a western paranormal conjured up (pun intended) all sorts of fun ideas!   Wizards At High Noon?!

                    Lise Horton
                    Assistant
                    Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz, PC
                    488 Madison Avenue
                    New York, New York 10022
                    Tele: (212) 980-0120 Ext. 6730
                    Fax: (212) 593-9175
                    E-mail: lhorton@...

[...]

                    Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz Disclaimer

                    IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained herein, including attachments, is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used by a taxpayer to (i) avoid tax penalties or (ii) promote, market or recommend a transaction or matter to another person.

                    This e-mail and any attached files are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which this mail is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this e-mail or the attached files by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail or collect call to (212) 980-0120 and delete this e-mail and attached files from your system. Thank you.

                  • jacquiedrogers
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                      Thanks, Terry.

                      So tell me about the wild and crazy YA ride. I have a YA series
                      plotted but I'd like to read a series first to see if I'm on target.
                      Do you have any suggestions? This would be in the fantasy with
                      romantic elements realm.

                      --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, Terry Spear <tspear@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jacquie!
                      > It took me forever to join the group also. Super group! Good luck
                      on your stories! Terry

                      > Terry Spear, WINNING THE HIGHLANDER'S HEART 5 Hearts!; Heart of
                      the Wolf (Sp '08), The Vampire...In My Dreams (Fall '07)
                      www.terryspear.com www.terrywildeteenbooks.com

                    • jacquiedrogers
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                        --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, "Horton, Lise" <lhorton@...> wrote:

                        > Tell us more about what your books and stories are about?

                        Thanks, Lisa.

                        My very first book (unpubbed) is futuristic, the next five (unpubbed)
                        are westerns, so you can see that my brain can't decide where to rest.
                        That said, my published book, Faery Special Romances, is 10 romances
                        wrapped up in one. Faery Princess Keely is a kindergartner in the
                        first one--can you imagine a 5-year-old with wings and magic that
                        isn't exactly reliable? Well, she's already matchmaking (think Emma).

                        Anyway, each story takes place in a different time and setting.

                        1199 England
                        1597 England
                        1655 Caribbean
                        1750 Catskills, NY
                        1814 London
                        1850 New Orleans
                        1880 Dirtwater, Idaho
                        1926 Upstate NY
                        1968 Homedale, ID
                        After the Frozen time, Auburn, WA

                        So Keely is matchmaking through the ages, and the last story is her
                        own special romance. The stories are connected.

                        > And the idea of a western paranormal conjured up (pun intended) all
                        > sorts of fun ideas! Wizards At High Noon?!

                        I know! It's just so untapped. I've abandoned westerns because the
                        door has been slammed too many times, but this is sooooo calling to
                        me. And besides, my daughters always love my books, whether an editor
                        buys them or not. lol. So I have a built-in readership of two. No,
                        three, because I make my sister read them, too.

                        I did write one short story that's a western paranormal. It's in BLUE
                        MOON ENCHANTMENT, and the story is called "When Mules Rush In."
                        Here's the blurb:

                        Do you ever wonder what happened to Merlin, the sorcerer to King
                        Arthur? He's back in the Old West, only now he's a crotchety
                        matchmaking mule, who's about to get his own romantic come-uppance.

                        "The title may be When Mules Rush In, but readers should rush in to
                        read this hilariously funny story..." ~~the late Ann Marie Bradley,
                        author of "My Hero, My Dad" and "Blue Moon Magic"

                        Sheesh, I guess I ran a little wild there. Maybe I oughtta go write
                        some more books. :)

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                          Thanks Larriane and Renee!

                          --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, "Larriane Barnard" <larriane@...>

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                            A wonderfully quirky idea and I can already tell you have a great sense of humor!

                            And as so many of us like to say - we're not "unpubbed", we're "pre-pubbed!".