RE: [HRCRomance] Intro

  • Horton, Lise
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 31, 2007
      But unfortunately right on the heels of the "roaring 20's" (with Prohibition and Al Capone) came The Great Depression.  Less fun.

      Lise Horton
      Assistant
      Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz, PC
      488 Madison Avenue
      New York, New York 10022
      Tele: (212) 980-0120 Ext. 6730
      Fax: (212) 593-9175
      E-mail: lhorton@...

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2007
        Well they were very damp (stone walls hold the damp beautifully) so you'd get rheumatism and arthritis fairly early, you'd have the garderobes to go in, but there wouldn't be any privacy. Despite what you read in the novels, most people in the middle ages didn't have their own bedrooms, they slept communally in the hall with everyone else. The solar was a development of the late middle ages, but before then people just didn't think like that.
        Scottish lairds didn't have castles, that was for the great lords, and they weren't very nice, they were defensive structures, not homes.
        And no detergent. Only soap. Soap doesn't wash you hair or clothes very efficiently, it always leaves a residue that can build up over time.
        If you had servants to wash, clean and cook it might be okay. But no books, they were handwritten, extremely precious and counted as treasures.
        No ipods, no TV's, no cars, no trains, no planes, oh dear me no, not for me!

        I think if it weren't for the lack of in door plumbing, I would be so happy to live in a Medieval castle with a hot Scottish laird.

        --
        Untitled Document

        Lynne Connolly, author of Sensual Historical Romance
        visit http: //www. lynneconnolly. com

        What if you're in love - but you can't make love?
        Last Chance, My Love from Samhain Publishing

      • Jacquie Rogers
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
          Hi, everyone!

          I just joined this group--don't ask me why I didn't know it was here before
          since I have a page on the HRC site.  Some of us are a little more aware
          than others. lol.

          Anyway, I'm a romance reader and writer.  I have one book and three short
          stories out as of now.  I'm currently promoting the book, which takes a lot
          of time, and I have a contest on my website now.  Two, actually.

          As for reading, I read nearly anything except contemporary and, sorry
          everyone, vampires.  I'd love to read a western paranormal.  Knights,
          pirates, cowboys--ya gotta love 'em all.  Fantasy is fun--I'm currently
          obsessed with faeries and dragons.  Oh, and I prefer funny stories.  When a
          reviewer proudly says, "This book made me cry," well, I'll think twice
          before I pick up that book.  Everyone else seems to love to have their
          heartstrings pulled.  So now you know why I avoid dark vamp stories. lol.
          Even though I don't care for contemps, I'm enjoying a few urban fantasies.

          I'm on several places on the web so please friend me:
          myspace - http://www.myspace.com/jacquierogers
          bebo - http://www.bebo.com/jacquie-rogers
          shelfari - http://www.shelfari.com/jacquie-rogers
          ning - http://faeryworld.ning.com
          blog - http://jacquierogers.blogspot.com

          and a whole bunch more places.  Whew!

          That's probably way more than anyone wanted to know. :)))

          Jacquie Rogers   http://www.JacquieRogers.com
          Faery Special Romances, http://tinyurl.com/22a5e9
          Book video: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v524952yQd4rgHH
          Royalties donated to Children's Tumor Foundation
          ending neurofibromatosis through research
        • Terry Spear
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
            Hi Jacquie!
            It took me forever to join the group also. Super group!  Good luck on your stories! Terry

          • Anne Whitfield
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
              Welcome to the group, Jacquie.

              Lovely to see you here.

              Regards, Anne.~
              http://www.annewhitfield.com
              Historical & Contemporary author

            • Renee Kautz
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
                I know this is a little late with the time you posted...but better late than never. Welcome Jacquie....Renee

[...]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Jacquie Rogers

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 23, 2007
                    Hi, Jacquie. I'm a lurker, always reading the post but seldom
                    posting. welcome to the group
                    larriane
                    --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, Renee Kautz <kautzrenee@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I know this is a little late with the time you posted...but better
                    late than never. Welcome Jacquie....Renee

                  • Horton, Lise
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 23, 2007
                      Welcome Jacquie and don't apologize for your reading preferences ... if we all read the same thing, think how boring it would be!

                      Tell us more about what your books and stories are about?

                      And the idea of a western paranormal conjured up (pun intended) all sorts of fun ideas!   Wizards At High Noon?!

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                        Thanks, Terry.

                        So tell me about the wild and crazy YA ride. I have a YA series
                        plotted but I'd like to read a series first to see if I'm on target.
                        Do you have any suggestions? This would be in the fantasy with
                        romantic elements realm.

                        --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, Terry Spear <tspear@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jacquie!
                        > It took me forever to join the group also. Super group! Good luck
                        on your stories! Terry

                        > Terry Spear, WINNING THE HIGHLANDER'S HEART 5 Hearts!; Heart of
                        the Wolf (Sp '08), The Vampire...In My Dreams (Fall '07)
                        www.terryspear.com www.terrywildeteenbooks.com

                      • jacquiedrogers
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                          --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, "Horton, Lise" <lhorton@...> wrote:

                          > Tell us more about what your books and stories are about?

                          Thanks, Lisa.

                          My very first book (unpubbed) is futuristic, the next five (unpubbed)
                          are westerns, so you can see that my brain can't decide where to rest.
                          That said, my published book, Faery Special Romances, is 10 romances
                          wrapped up in one. Faery Princess Keely is a kindergartner in the
                          first one--can you imagine a 5-year-old with wings and magic that
                          isn't exactly reliable? Well, she's already matchmaking (think Emma).

                          Anyway, each story takes place in a different time and setting.

                          1199 England
                          1597 England
                          1655 Caribbean
                          1750 Catskills, NY
                          1814 London
                          1850 New Orleans
                          1880 Dirtwater, Idaho
                          1926 Upstate NY
                          1968 Homedale, ID
                          After the Frozen time, Auburn, WA

                          So Keely is matchmaking through the ages, and the last story is her
                          own special romance. The stories are connected.

                          > And the idea of a western paranormal conjured up (pun intended) all
                          > sorts of fun ideas! Wizards At High Noon?!

                          I know! It's just so untapped. I've abandoned westerns because the
                          door has been slammed too many times, but this is sooooo calling to
                          me. And besides, my daughters always love my books, whether an editor
                          buys them or not. lol. So I have a built-in readership of two. No,
                          three, because I make my sister read them, too.

                          I did write one short story that's a western paranormal. It's in BLUE
                          MOON ENCHANTMENT, and the story is called "When Mules Rush In."
                          Here's the blurb:

                          Do you ever wonder what happened to Merlin, the sorcerer to King
                          Arthur? He's back in the Old West, only now he's a crotchety
                          matchmaking mule, who's about to get his own romantic come-uppance.

                          "The title may be When Mules Rush In, but readers should rush in to
                          read this hilariously funny story..." ~~the late Ann Marie Bradley,
                          author of "My Hero, My Dad" and "Blue Moon Magic"

                          Sheesh, I guess I ran a little wild there. Maybe I oughtta go write
                          some more books. :)

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                            Thanks Larriane and Renee!

                            --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, "Larriane Barnard" <larriane@...>

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                              A wonderfully quirky idea and I can already tell you have a great sense of humor!

                              And as so many of us like to say - we're not "unpubbed", we're "pre-pubbed!".