Re: [HRCRomance] Intro

  • Raine D.
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 28, 2007
      Hi Laura, nice to meet you. I'm new myself. I just joined a few weeks ago but I was too shy to introduce myself. I have written little bits and pieces myself but not an entire book! Your book looks very interesting and I would be happy to read it. Is it in large circulation?

      Laura Hogg <angelbear112@...> wrote:
      Hello everyone, how are you? I'm new here. Let's see, my name is
      Laura Hogg, and i live in Colorado. I love reading historical romance
      and history, for that matter. I am also an author.
      I have a time-travel novel called Romeo vs. Juliet out with The Wild
      Rose Press.

      http://www.thewildr osepress. com/index. php?
      main_page=product_ info&products_ id=460&zenid= e9528502ebb6c928 123b4ceb1
      e123616

      If you're curious, why not check it out? Here's a tiny blurb.
      Ambrose works for Queen Elizabeth Ist and has searched the centuries
      for his beloved Josephine, from Cleopatra's court and Charlemagne' s
      service to 1950s America and the twenty second century. He has
      finally found her.
      He takes his love from twenty-first century America back to
      Elizabethan England for a short while. These two have a steamy, deep
      love affair, and all is well until he does something that forces her
      to stand up to him. She must chase him through time to stop his
      sinister plan from coming to full fruition. The problem is, every
      time they meet up, they fall into each other's arms, unable to deny
      the crazy feelings they have for each other. Still, she has a mission
      and must complete it or die trying. Josephine is called to be a hero
      and discovers her darker side.

      Thanks, and it's so nice to meet everyone. I wish you all a great
      week! Sincerely, Laura

      Later days,
      Raine
      Check out my Yahoo!360!
      http://360.yahoo.com/rhone77

    • Horton, Lise
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 29, 2007
        I, too, am a new member, having joined within the last couple of weeks.  I've just recently mastered the entire universe of Yahoo Groups (I'm a techno-loser), and am deliriously happy to have found such informative, entertaining, intelligent and fun people to connect with in the great wide world of Romance!  (Like new member, Tonks, I tend to have a variety of hair colors, but mine is essentially to cover the grey).

        I am a New York girl, unpublished, but striving for that elusive goal.  I am a former actress and cabaret performer, and I have found that while my years of training in Method acting did not earn me fame and fortune, it did provide me with wonderful techniques I use when it comes to creating my characters and imagining their worlds.  I work on a variety of genres, but absolutely love, love, love historicals and must agree that the more Alpha the Alpha male, the better  I like him!  But of course, the tougher they are, the sweeter it is when they fall for the likewise feisty, independent and courageous heroine!  That's how I'm creating my current hero and heroine of my NYC Gilded Age romantic adventure!

        My favorite historical periods of romance are the Regency (though the ladies who write this period simply astound with their wealth of detail and background information); Victorian (still a touch of the romance of the Regency but with a bit more grit, helped out by the Industrial Revolution and suffragettes and such).  I like anything in Scotland in the 1800's, and I am still a staunch fan of the American Civil War and Wild West eras.   And despite the small niche available, my heart belongs to the World War II era, with its soldiers, spies, heroes, valour, action, and the ladies who stepped up to the plate, so to speak, to pitch in as nurses, secret agents, pilots, photographers/reporters, Rosie the Riveters, scientists, code-breakers and USO performers.

        I'm a history and science buff, I live for Jeopardy!, and I have a monstrously large library in a teeny-weenie house (10,000 +). I live to read [and write!],  have rescued racing greyhounds (2 at the moment) + a rescued cat.  I live on Long Island and I garden, (although at the moment everything looks like a set for a Michael Crichton Jurassic Park film) and I commute to work at an entertainment law firm in New York City (for 15 1/2 years now!).  No husband, no kids.  Just books!

        Oh, and I talk A LOT.

        Lise Horton
        Assistant
        Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz, PC
        488 Madison Avenue
        New York, New York 10022
        Tele: (212) 980-0120 Ext. 6730
        Fax: (212) 593-9175
        E-mail: lhorton@...

        Laura Hogg <angelbear112@ comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

        Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz Disclaimer

        IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained herein, including attachments, is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used by a taxpayer to (i) avoid tax penalties or (ii) promote, market or recommend a transaction or matter to another person.

        This e-mail and any attached files are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which this mail is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this e-mail or the attached files by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail or collect call to (212) 980-0120 and delete this e-mail and attached files from your system. Thank you.

      • Anne Whitfield
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 29, 2007
          Hello and welcome, Lise.

          You like a lot of the historical genres I do.  I've just finished writing my first WWII historical, which was exciting and a departure from my Victorian historicals.

          I'm in NSW Australia. :o)

          Regards, Anne.~
          http://www.annewhitfield.com
          Acquisitions Editor
          Enspiren Press
        • Renee Kautz
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 29, 2007
            I became a member just over a month ago and I have discovered there are many interesting people who enjoy historical romances as much as I do. I love any kind of historical romance. For some reason I am recently totally engrossed in time travel historical romances. (What a mouthful).....Currently I have been reading Karen Marie Moning. EXCELLENT.
            I now look forward to getting into my email and read what others are reading. Hope to talk to more of the other members. I work 12 hour night shifts as an RN and someimes have plenty of time to chat.
            I would be honored to read the work of anyone who would like an opinion.

              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 30, 2007
                Lovely to meet you, Anne!  :)  (Still seems so odd to me that people around the world can just casually "chat"!!!!)

                I've always been interested in WWII, and have started collecting any novels I can find on the era, but particularly ones that have a romantic angle to them (as opposed to the purely espionage or military novels).  Also ones like "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" which have a bit of everything in them (very sweeping novels with tons of characters, if you haven't read them ... made into TV series, also, years and years ago here in the US w/ Robert Mitchum).

                The series I am working on (just getting started, really, but I've got them mapped out ....) has to do with the women who performed so valiantly in the war efforts, but about whom you really see little in the history books.  More and more I'm finding books about them being written now, which is great.

                Women scientists involved in the Manhattan Project, including work at Los Alamos on the bomb project;
                Women spies in the OSS (forerunner to the CIA) who actually worked as undercover operatives, a number of them getting killed - The British had a similar organization and female spies, too.
                The Nurses who worked on the battlefields, right there in the thick of things, including the nurses in the Pacific, many of whom were captured by the Japanese and spent years in the prisoner of war camps (particularly the nurses on Corregidor);
                The women journalists and photographers who were alongside the men the entire war, including Martha Gellhorn, Ernest Hemingway's then-wife, Margaret Bourke-White the famous photographer and many others;
                And my favorites, the female pilots who worked with the WASPs ferrying planes around the country and to Britain, and who also tested newer model planes, and were the fliers used when they were training the anti-aircraft soldiers - they towed targets behind their planes and sometimes the guys missed!

                Janet Daily wrote an amazing book on the fliers, called Silver Wings and Santiago Blue.

                And Susan Isaacs' book, Shining Through was great (although it was made into a truly atrocious film w/ Melanie Griffith - watchable only because Liam Neeson was in it too...)

                Whew.  I get a little excitable on this topic, don't I!

                Anyway, welcome to a fun, informative and enthusiastic group!

                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 30, 2007
                  As far as I'm concerned (and having lived summers without indoor plumbing), I think the hot Scottish laird would be an OK tradeoff!

                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 30, 2007
                    Not for a Scottish castle. They are wringing wet, or they were before modern heating. My friend's family owns that castle in the Highlander films, Eileen Donan, and the money went to drying the place out and installing a modern heating system. Nobody would live there, it was so damp.
                    And in the middle ages you wouldn't get any privacy. These places had a guardroom and a room above, and that was your lot. No private bedrooms, you were lucky if there was a small private room at all.

                    I'll take a Regency rake and a moderate amount of comfort.

                    --
                    Untitled Document

                    Lynne Connolly, author of Sensual Historical Romance
                    visit http: //www. lynneconnolly. com

                    What if you're in love - but you can't make love?
                    Last Chance, My Love from Samhain Publishing

                  • Anne Whitfield
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 30, 2007
                      Sounds wonderful Lise.

                      I once read a great novel set in Singapore when the Japanese invaded and created the women POW camps. It was a fantastic story. I'd love to do one of those.
                      My WWII novel, Broken Hero comes out in ebook in Nov and paperback in May 2008. My heroine runs her family estate, kind of like the Women's Land Army, only her home was turned into a convalescence home and along comes a gorgeous doctor...

                      You ought to try reading some of the UK saga authors who write this period, like Anne baker, etc, their books are great.
                      I have a list of UK saga authors on my website

                      Regards, Anne.~
                      http://www.annewhitfield.com
                      A Noble Place Aug 2007

                    • Raine D.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 30, 2007
                          Umm....how about the roaring 20s here in the US? I could live in that era

                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 31, 2007
                            Thanks for the tip!  I read, and loved the novel, "Land Girls" that came out a while back, and will have to look for the period authors, too.  Appreciate your list because I'm always looking for new authors in the areas I enjoy.  It used to be harder to find their books, until I (sigh!) discovered purchasing on line.

                            As a fairly insane book-buyer the only limits I respected were the filled basket that I could barely carry on my way to the checkout.  Having now resorted to B&N on line and Amazon to find books that were not available anywhere else, well, there' s no stopping me!

                            And I love your website, too.  So nice to have faces to go with the emails!

                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 31, 2007
                              But unfortunately right on the heels of the "roaring 20's" (with Prohibition and Al Capone) came The Great Depression.  Less fun.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 1, 2007
                                  Well they were very damp (stone walls hold the damp beautifully) so you'd get rheumatism and arthritis fairly early, you'd have the garderobes to go in, but there wouldn't be any privacy. Despite what you read in the novels, most people in the middle ages didn't have their own bedrooms, they slept communally in the hall with everyone else. The solar was a development of the late middle ages, but before then people just didn't think like that.
                                  Scottish lairds didn't have castles, that was for the great lords, and they weren't very nice, they were defensive structures, not homes.
                                  And no detergent. Only soap. Soap doesn't wash you hair or clothes very efficiently, it always leaves a residue that can build up over time.
                                  If you had servants to wash, clean and cook it might be okay. But no books, they were handwritten, extremely precious and counted as treasures.
                                  No ipods, no TV's, no cars, no trains, no planes, oh dear me no, not for me!

                                  I think if it weren't for the lack of in door plumbing, I would be so happy to live in a Medieval castle with a hot Scottish laird.

                                  --
                                  Untitled Document

                                  Lynne Connolly, author of Sensual Historical Romance
                                  visit http: //www. lynneconnolly. com

                                  What if you're in love - but you can't make love?
                                  Last Chance, My Love from Samhain Publishing

                                • Jacquie Rogers
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
                                    Hi, everyone!

                                    I just joined this group--don't ask me why I didn't know it was here before
                                    since I have a page on the HRC site.  Some of us are a little more aware
                                    than others. lol.

                                    Anyway, I'm a romance reader and writer.  I have one book and three short
                                    stories out as of now.  I'm currently promoting the book, which takes a lot
                                    of time, and I have a contest on my website now.  Two, actually.

                                    As for reading, I read nearly anything except contemporary and, sorry
                                    everyone, vampires.  I'd love to read a western paranormal.  Knights,
                                    pirates, cowboys--ya gotta love 'em all.  Fantasy is fun--I'm currently
                                    obsessed with faeries and dragons.  Oh, and I prefer funny stories.  When a
                                    reviewer proudly says, "This book made me cry," well, I'll think twice
                                    before I pick up that book.  Everyone else seems to love to have their
                                    heartstrings pulled.  So now you know why I avoid dark vamp stories. lol.
                                    Even though I don't care for contemps, I'm enjoying a few urban fantasies.

                                    I'm on several places on the web so please friend me:
                                    myspace - http://www.myspace.com/jacquierogers
                                    bebo - http://www.bebo.com/jacquie-rogers
                                    shelfari - http://www.shelfari.com/jacquie-rogers
                                    ning - http://faeryworld.ning.com
                                    blog - http://jacquierogers.blogspot.com

                                    and a whole bunch more places.  Whew!

                                    That's probably way more than anyone wanted to know. :)))

                                    Jacquie Rogers   http://www.JacquieRogers.com
                                    Faery Special Romances, http://tinyurl.com/22a5e9
                                    Book video: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v524952yQd4rgHH
                                    Royalties donated to Children's Tumor Foundation
                                    ending neurofibromatosis through research
                                  • Terry Spear
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
                                      Hi Jacquie!
                                      It took me forever to join the group also. Super group!  Good luck on your stories! Terry

                                    • Anne Whitfield
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
                                        Welcome to the group, Jacquie.

                                        Lovely to see you here.

                                        Regards, Anne.~
                                        http://www.annewhitfield.com
                                        Historical & Contemporary author

                                      • Renee Kautz
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 21, 2007
                                          I know this is a little late with the time you posted...but better late than never. Welcome Jacquie....Renee

[...]

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Jacquie Rogers

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 23, 2007
                                              Hi, Jacquie. I'm a lurker, always reading the post but seldom
                                              posting. welcome to the group
                                              larriane
                                              --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, Renee Kautz <kautzrenee@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > I know this is a little late with the time you posted...but better
                                              late than never. Welcome Jacquie....Renee

                                            • Horton, Lise
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 23, 2007
                                                Welcome Jacquie and don't apologize for your reading preferences ... if we all read the same thing, think how boring it would be!

                                                Tell us more about what your books and stories are about?

                                                And the idea of a western paranormal conjured up (pun intended) all sorts of fun ideas!   Wizards At High Noon?!

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                                                  Thanks, Terry.

                                                  So tell me about the wild and crazy YA ride. I have a YA series
                                                  plotted but I'd like to read a series first to see if I'm on target.
                                                  Do you have any suggestions? This would be in the fantasy with
                                                  romantic elements realm.

                                                  --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, Terry Spear <tspear@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi Jacquie!
                                                  > It took me forever to join the group also. Super group! Good luck
                                                  on your stories! Terry

                                                  > Terry Spear, WINNING THE HIGHLANDER'S HEART 5 Hearts!; Heart of
                                                  the Wolf (Sp '08), The Vampire...In My Dreams (Fall '07)
                                                  www.terryspear.com www.terrywildeteenbooks.com

                                                • jacquiedrogers
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                                                    --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, "Horton, Lise" <lhorton@...> wrote:

                                                    > Tell us more about what your books and stories are about?

                                                    Thanks, Lisa.

                                                    My very first book (unpubbed) is futuristic, the next five (unpubbed)
                                                    are westerns, so you can see that my brain can't decide where to rest.
                                                    That said, my published book, Faery Special Romances, is 10 romances
                                                    wrapped up in one. Faery Princess Keely is a kindergartner in the
                                                    first one--can you imagine a 5-year-old with wings and magic that
                                                    isn't exactly reliable? Well, she's already matchmaking (think Emma).

                                                    Anyway, each story takes place in a different time and setting.

                                                    1199 England
                                                    1597 England
                                                    1655 Caribbean
                                                    1750 Catskills, NY
                                                    1814 London
                                                    1850 New Orleans
                                                    1880 Dirtwater, Idaho
                                                    1926 Upstate NY
                                                    1968 Homedale, ID
                                                    After the Frozen time, Auburn, WA

                                                    So Keely is matchmaking through the ages, and the last story is her
                                                    own special romance. The stories are connected.

                                                    > And the idea of a western paranormal conjured up (pun intended) all
                                                    > sorts of fun ideas! Wizards At High Noon?!

                                                    I know! It's just so untapped. I've abandoned westerns because the
                                                    door has been slammed too many times, but this is sooooo calling to
                                                    me. And besides, my daughters always love my books, whether an editor
                                                    buys them or not. lol. So I have a built-in readership of two. No,
                                                    three, because I make my sister read them, too.

                                                    I did write one short story that's a western paranormal. It's in BLUE
                                                    MOON ENCHANTMENT, and the story is called "When Mules Rush In."
                                                    Here's the blurb:

                                                    Do you ever wonder what happened to Merlin, the sorcerer to King
                                                    Arthur? He's back in the Old West, only now he's a crotchety
                                                    matchmaking mule, who's about to get his own romantic come-uppance.

                                                    "The title may be When Mules Rush In, but readers should rush in to
                                                    read this hilariously funny story..." ~~the late Ann Marie Bradley,
                                                    author of "My Hero, My Dad" and "Blue Moon Magic"

                                                    Sheesh, I guess I ran a little wild there. Maybe I oughtta go write
                                                    some more books. :)

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                                                      Thanks Larriane and Renee!

                                                      --- In HRCRomance@yahoogroups.com, "Larriane Barnard" <larriane@...>

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 24, 2007
                                                        A wonderfully quirky idea and I can already tell you have a great sense of humor!

                                                        And as so many of us like to say - we're not "unpubbed", we're "pre-pubbed!".