Word Play.

  • grace_elliot2
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2011

      Inspired by Dr Johnson's dictionary my latest blog post has some fun with words.

      I've been working hard on the final draft of `Eulogy's Secret' and it's big decision time (drum roll!) Do I spell-check in my native UK English, or go for US English. The differences aren't huge and mainly come down to `parlour' vs `parlor' and lots of disappearing L's (dishevelled vs dishevelled) but it did set me thinking about dictionaires and (another tenuous link to excuse a blog post, the compiler of the first dictionary to include common usages of words, Dr Samuel Johnson.

       Dr Johnson seems a bit of a wit on the side. Despite the gravitas of his work he came up with such chose sayings as:

      "A second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience,"

      "A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out as good for nothing."

      And

      "A woman's preaching is like a dog walking on his hind legs. It is not done well: but you are surprised to find it done at all."

      FOR THE FULL POST PLEASE VISIT:

      http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com/2011/08/word-play.html