Promo- An Unwilling Baroness, A Regency Romance

  • Harris
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31 9:31 PM
      Hello!

      Thought that maybe, someone, somewhere would be interested in my new release!
      One could hope, right?

      What's it called, you ask?

      AN UNWILLING BARONESS

      What's it about?

      Three long years ago, Lady Chloe Pembridge made a mistake. She allowed her pride
      to push away the man she loves. Can she make him see her feelings are real, or
      is it all too late?

      Jude Arden left a bitter, broken man when the love of his life rebuffed his
      affections. But seeing her again, he wonders if maybe, in his haste, he
      misjudged her. Now, with the Baron von Richter in the picture, has he lost her
      for good?

      Where can I find it?

      You can find AN UNWILLING BARONESS at the following links:

      on Amazon.com-

      http://www.amazon.com/An-Unwilling-Baroness-ebook/dp/B0051J8BEM/ref=ntt_at_ep_dp\
      \\t_6

      Amazon UK-

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/An-Unwilling-Baroness/dp/B0051J8BEM/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&\
      \\ie=UTF8&qid=1305820928&sr=1-10

      Smashwords-
      http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/60543

      and Barnes and Noble-

      http://search.barnesandnoble.com/An-Unwilling-Baroness/Harris-Channing/e/2940012503909/?itm=4

      Can I have an excerpt?

      You bet you can!

      March 1816

      Jude looked over the top of his spectacles, his dark eyes flashing with
      mischief. Mischief that had her wondering what he was up to and if it would get
      her into trouble. Since the union of his mother and her father less than two
      years prior, she'd seen more delightful tribulations then her entire seventeen
      previous years combine.

      "Chloe, do you suppose your father would allow you to accompany me to London to
      visit Mother?"

      It was an awful idea. Jude wasn't so much older than she was and tongues would
      continue to wag if she were to travel into town, unchaperoned with her
      stepbrother. There was already gossip of a romance between them because of how
      much time they spent together. It wasn't natural, she'd heard more than once.

      "I don't know," she replied smoothing the silk of her turquoise skirt. "Do you
      suppose your mother would allow me to accompany you? She detests my sense of
      humor and abhors my country mannerisms." Of course, it didn't matter to Chloe
      what the old bat thought. She wasn't her true mother. In fact, she was nothing
      like the sweet angel that had given her life. Dorothea was an unfortunate
      addition to her family. She looked at Jude and smiled. He was truly the only
      benefit from her father's latest union. "Would I not embarrass her showing up on
      the arm of her beloved son? My antics at the last ball were truly scandalous."
      She rose from her perch on the edge of the crimson settee and stared down at
      him. He shook his head, his chestnut curls glowing gold in the lamplight. Dear
      Lord but he was handsome.

      "You mistakenly spilled lemonade on the hostess, you hardly did anything wrong.
      My mother is the one the one who married your father for his money," he replied
      bitterly. Removing his glasses, he rubbed the bridge of his aristocratic nose.
      "Everyone knows that. Surely, she can't think a brother and sister coming to
      visit would be all that scandalous."

      "I'm not your sister," she reminded gently. "Our parent's are nearly newly weds
      and you and I are both fully grown."

      "That you are, dear Chloe and you're lovely." She fidgeted under his direct,
      amber eyed-gaze that oft times left her unnerved. He knew how to play with a
      woman's emotions and she refused to allow him the chance to nestle next to her
      heart for fear he would toy with it as he had so many others.

      She looked away. He would wink, touch her arm, or whisper something into her ear
      and her mind would drift toward places she dare not venture. He was a
      rapscallion, to be sure, but not a rake that she truly feared. Generally, she
      didn't gush and simper over him as many of her daft friends had. Chloe was happy
      and content in his company.

      Of course, she shielded her heart from his flattery. It was a must, for despite
      her protests, she did find herself curious about his kisses. Wondered what it
      was that made the women give themselves to him so freely and without
      expectation. She knew a good part was simply the glorious god-like beauty of the
      man. But there was more then just his physical attributes, there was a spark
      about him. His charm drew the fairer sex to him like moths to flame. And despite
      her attraction, she refused to allow him to singe her wings.

      Uncomfortable heat inched up into her cheeks. How she loathed her propensity to
      reveal her emotions by her blushes. "I do appreciate the compliment," she
      replied.

      "Yes, I see that by your adorable flush."

      She lifted her hands to her face, her palms cool against her flesh. "Stop it,"
      she ordered. "You do that on purpose and I don't appreciate your teasing at
      all."

      He shot her a dazzling smile and Chloe had to admit that grin was one of the
      reasons woman swooned and chased after him in the hopes of attention. Thank God,
      his magnetism didn't have the full effect on her, well hardly ever. He had,
      however, found the chink in her armor. She was chronically unable to take a
      compliment. If the devil himself admired her shoes, she'd blush. That was a
      reaction from years of neglect at her father's hands. When Father did say
      something nice it was usually followed by a humiliating criticism. Damn the man.
      Compliments were never compliments. They were just unborn insults.

      She moved across the Persian carpet toward the fireplace. The dying embers
      popped in want of fresh kindling. The chill in the room a reminder that summer
      was over and autumn had arrived. "I'll stop."
      His abrupt tone had her turning to face him. He lowered his gaze, his fierce
      frown, indicating sudden displeasure. "But I do wish you would consider the
      trip. I could use your alliance." He reached into his pocket, pulled out a
      missive, and held it up for her to see. "I received this today."

      "What is it, Jude?" she asked, not liking his somber expression or the way the
      air in the parlor seemed suddenly heavy with dread.

      "It's from Mother. Apparently, my wedding day is but a month away."

      Chloe grabbed the letter, unfolded it, and read its contents. The controlled
      flow of the ink revealed Lady Dorothea's devastating intention to have her son
      married off to the Dowager Duchess of Milton in thirty-four days time. Her
      stomach roiled with bitter bile and rage bubbled through her with such ferocity
      her hands quaked.

      "Jude, no! She can't possibly mean to marry you off to that corpulent old
      woman!" She squeezed the paper in an angry fist. "She's nearly sixty! What is
      your mother thinking?" She paced before him. "And the Dowager…"

      "She's a nice enough woman," he acquiesced, his mood lightening as quickly as it
      had darkened. "The dear gave me all the sweets I wanted when I was but a lad of
      ten."

      Chloe's mouth dropped open. How could Jude make such horrible fun? "This is not
      a joking matter," she nearly shouted.

      He raked his hands through his hair and surged to his feet. "I know, but if I
      don't laugh at it, I'll scream. Mother is trying to secure her future and
      mine…or so she says. If I don't marry the old girl, I'm cut off."

      Chloe met his gaze and recognized in his eyes, his resignation.
      "You can't mean to marry her."

      He paced toward the window, his broad shoulders nearly filling the narrow window
      frame. "I don't," he whispered. "I'm taking what money is mine, which as you
      know, isn't a lot and buying a commission. Will you still like me if I'm a
      soldier?"

      Chloe flopped back down on the settee and fought her irritation. "Is that what
      you want Jude? To be an officer?"

      He faced her, his expression one of despair. "I haven't exactly met my full
      potential as a gentleman."

      She couldn't disagree with that, for Jude had much potential but seemed
      completely content to live a life of indolent ease. There was no desire to
      better himself, to forge ahead and make his own way.

      Since meeting him, he had done little to divert from the well-worn path of his
      ancestors. That particular path was littered with debauchery and womanizing.

      "Perhaps you could change that?"

      "How?" he asked, raising a dark brow. "I have been groomed for uselessness."

      "I don't know, Jude." She felt like throwing her hands up in hopelessness. "What
      are your aspirations? What is something you'd like to do? If you truly want to
      be a soldier, then I support that decision."

      His features visibly slumped. "I don't want to be a soldier. I want to continue
      doing what I'm doing. I like my life. I like to hunt, to fish, to laugh and
      spend time with you."

      She shook her head. "You're content then to do nothing."

      "I hardly call bedding Lady Archmont nothing. It was hard work. The game took me
      all of last summer and much of the fall to win."
      His flippant reminder had her stomach aching. "All you did was chase after a
      notorious harlot. That in itself could not have taken much effort. Is that what
      you want to be remembered for?" Another reason she'd hardly ever consider giving
      her heart to him. He wasn't trustworthy, that was a certainty.

      "And what's wrong with that? Most men in my position do exactly what I'm doing.
      And if they're not, they wish they were."

      "Oh Jude." She shook her head disapprovingly. "I think the world of you, you
      know that. But if you plan on doing nothing of substance, then you may as well
      marry the dowager. She will bankroll your lifestyle and have as little
      expectation of you as you do for yourself."

      She stood and pressed her hand to her stomach, hoping to quell the upset. "I'm
      going to retire. I'm tired and full of despair for you. Do whatever you must,
      but know I wish more for you and from you."

      Jude's jaw tightened, the tension in his face turned his usually light and
      pleasant demeanor dark. "Are you turning against me, too?" he asked. "I never
      thought I'd see the day you and Mother agreed upon anything."

      She met his gaze. "No, I want what's best for you, but I can't make you into the
      man I know you can be. That's a decision you have to make on your own."

      "Are you saying I'm not a man?" He came closer to her, so close she could feel
      the anger emanating from his core. His stare pierced her heart, for mixed with
      his rage was anguish and hurt. His gaze so pained that she ached for him. Had
      she done that to him? Had she hurt him without meaning to?

      A guilty lump filled her throat. "I-I don't know what I'm saying."
      He leaned in close, the whisper of his breath enticing against her cheek. "It
      doesn't matter what Mother thinks. It doesn't matter what society thinks, but
      Chloe, it does matter what you think."

      "Why's that?" she asked, taking in a deep breath, alarmed by his seriousness.

      "Because I'm in love with you."

      Hope you'll give it a read!

      Hugs,
      Harris.
    • Harris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2011
        AN UNWILLING BARONESS is on sale for .99!

        What's it about?

        Three long years ago, Lady Chloe Pembridge made a mistake. She allowed her pride
        to push away the man she loves. Can she make him see her feelings are real, or
        is it all too late?

        Jude Arden left a bitter, broken man when the love of his life rebuffed his
        affections. But seeing her again, he wonders if maybe, in his haste, he
        misjudged her. Now, with the Baron von Richter in the picture, has he lost her
        for good?

        Where can it be found?

        You can find AN UNWILLING BARONESS at the following links:

        on Amazon.com-

        http://www.amazon.com/An-Unwilling-Baroness-ebook/dp/B0051J8BEM/ref=ntt_at_ep_dp\
        \\t_6

        Amazon UK-

        http://www.amazon.co.uk/An-Unwilling-Baroness/dp/B0051J8BEM/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&\
        \\ie=UTF8&qid=1305820928&sr=1-10

        All Romance eBooks
        http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-anunwillingbaroness-559903-160.html

        Smashwords-
        http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/60543

        and Barnes and Noble-

        http://search.barnesandnoble.com/An-Unwilling-Baroness/Harris-Channing/e/2940012503909/?itm=4

        Can I have an excerpt?

        You bet you can!

        March 1816

        Jude looked over the top of his spectacles, his dark eyes flashing with mischief. Mischief that had her wondering what he was up to and if it would get her into trouble. Since the union of his mother and her father less than two years prior, she'd seen more delightful tribulations then her entire seventeen previous years combined.

[...]

        He shot her a dazzling smile and Chloe had to admit that grin was one of the reasons women swooned and chased after him in the hopes of attention. Thank God, his magnetism didn't have the full effect on her, well hardly ever.

        http://harrischanning.com/