Another great review for Gossamer Wings

  • Anne Whitfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2006
      Wanted to share this great review for Gossamer Wings.

      Aussie Anne Whitfield continues to delight me with her growing talent. Coming off the success of Kitty McKenzie, she has another tale, Gossamer Wings. Set in Victorian Leeds, England (which thankfully Whitfield didn't try to show their actual dialect! --BBC news subtitles Leeds when they show interviews to give Yanks an idea.) She brings the warmth and charm that was a strong core to her previous writings - a family in trouble and the one daughter who must to all to save them. In the repressive structure of Victoria's England, this left women with their hands tied as there were few avenues for women forced to make tough choices.

      Grace Woodruff is struggling with a totally dysfunctional family. Abusive father, abandoned by her mother, she must deal with the headache of six lively sisters. Having dealt with six sisters myself I totally empathize with Grace! This takes so much from Grace's time and spirit, yet deep in her heart she yearns for a family of her own, the perfect family.

      Once again, Whitfield gives such depth and emotion to Grace and her troubles. I also love that she creates the more "middle class" heroine and her struggles, giving the readers a fresh view into this period.

      Whitfield just keeps impressing me and is a writer worth your attention.
      Deborah MacGillivray.

      I think that's rather cool. :o)

      Regards,  Anne.~
      http://www.annewhitfield.com