Promo-A Christmas Smile (historical western) Excerpt-PG

  • Kathy Otten
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hi,

      It's 9 degrees here this morning and we got another 10 inches of snow, on top of the 2 feet we got the other day.  I'm ready for spring, but spring on the calendar is the time we get our traditional mid-March blizzard.  Here's a holiday story without any snow, that can be enjoyed anytime of year.

      A Christmas Smile

      Blurb:   After years in a Yankee prison camp, Tom Montgomery returned to Virginia to discover the wife who said she'd love him forever had mistakenly been informed of his death and married another man. Seven years later, Tom returns to Montgomery, Texas to discover Elizabeth has been living at his grandfather' s ranch. Can a Christmas miracle heal the pain of betrayal and bring their two hearts together again?

      Excerpt 2

      Moving forward, he refused to dwell on all that had been lost. With his head high, he shifted his crutches in front of his body, then hopped forward to meet them, his rhythm like that of a broken pendulum only able to swing halfway. His underarms ached from the constant pressure of his weight against the padded wood, but as he hobbled up the narrow lane he was grateful he had two legs and could still walk.

      A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth, and his chest tightened painfully beneath his tattered, gray uniform as the house came into focus. Its silhouette appeared dark against the backdrop of orange and pink evening sky. And despite the destruction of this once beautiful horse farm, he felt buoyant, as though a great weight had suddenly been lifted from his shoulders.

      Beth’s grandfather sat on the porch. His wicker rocking chair moved quietly back and forth, as Tom, managing one stair at a time, slowly hopped up the wide wooden steps. He was grateful the old man said nothing. Tom didn’t want help, and he didn’t want pity. Exhausted, he leaned his back against a pillar at the top of the stairs. Once painted a creamy white, the column was now chipped and bare.

      "Hello, Mr. Bennett."

      Henry Bennett stared back. "Hello." But there was no recognition in his voice.

      Tom knew he looked bad. Prison had emaciated his once healthy body to mere skin and bones. The scar from a saber cut bisected the left side of his face, and a leather patch now covered the place

      where his eye should have been.

      "It’s me, Tom Montgomery."

      A slow smile spread across Henry Bennett’s lined face, and his pale blue eyes lost their slightly vacant look.

      "Yes," he agreed with growing enthusiasm. "Elizabeth’s favorite suitor. She’s quite fond of you, young man."

      Tom smiled to himself. He certainly hoped Beth was fond of him. She had married him at Christmas, six months before he marched off to war.

      The old man gave his rocker a push. "I haven’t seen you lately. Where have you been keepin’ yourself?"

      Taken aback, Tom’s mouth dropped open. He gaped at Beth’s grandfather, until he recalled the man’s odd sense of humor.

      "I reckon business has kept me out of town, sir." Tom chuckled, but his laughter erupted into several minutes of harsh coughing.

      The old man nodded, continued rocking, and stared out across the overgrown lawn until Tom had composed himself.

      "Excuse me, sir." He offered a hesitant smile. "It’s been so long. Is Beth at home?"

      The old man lifted his pale gaze to Tom’s face.

      Tom frowned. He tried again. "Elizabeth. I’ve missed her so much. Is she here?" A funny little knot tightened the walls of his stomach. He’d always imagined Beth waiting for him. It never crossed his mind that something could have happened to her. Illness, an accident, or even Yankee guerillas. Oh God, please don’t let her be dead!

      Beth’s Grandfather briefly swung his attention to the front door of the house. Tom followed his gaze but no one appeared. Was Beth inside?

      The old man blinked several times before he spoke. "Elizabeth has gone north to stay with my

      sister, Catherine, in Albany."

      Albany? Tom exhaled a weighted sigh. At least she was all right. Though the news was disappointing, sending Beth north had probably been the best thing her grandfather could have done. She would have been safe from cannon fire and stray bullets, had plenty to eat, and access to basic necessities.

      "New York is lovely this time of year with all the snow and the evergreens." Henry Bennett continued. "I remember the first time Elizabeth saw all that snow. How she laughed! My granddaughter has the most beautiful smile."

      Yes, Tom had dreamed of that smile during the long feverish nights in the hospital after he was wounded and the dark months of prison camp which followed. The memory of Beth’s smile had kept him alive many times when he wanted to die.

      "When will she be back? Maybe I could go there." He didn’t know how he would manage it. He still wasn’t feeling well, and he had no money. Actually, the war had been over for months. She should have returned by now. He wondered briefly what had kept her away.

      The old man shook his head. "I’m sorry, son, but my granddaughter is married now."

      "Yes, sir, to me—Tom Montgomery."

      He shook his white head sadly. "Tom Montgomery is dead."

      "There’s been a mistake. I didn’t die." Tom took a breath to continue, but began coughing. The deep rasping sound was torn from the bottom of his lungs. He doubled over from the force of it, his hands squeezing tight the padded grips of his crutches as he struggled to keep from collapsing.

      "She has a child now. No, two children. Boys. He’s a nice young man too." He gave the rocker another push. "What is his name? I have a hard time

      rememberin’ his name. I must be gettin’ old. Loves horses he does. My Elizabeth, too. I have never seen her so happy." Henry Bennett continued talking, but Tom no longer listened.

      Purchase  http://www.thewildr osepress. com/index. php?main_ page=product_ info&products_id= 1050&zenid=96dd671a4b33d dd71a78426f9e479 516

      Kathy Otten
      www.kathyotten.com

      Between the Lines
      ISBN 1-60154-264-X
      available from www.TheWildRosePress.com

      i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
      Join me
    • Kathy Otten

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25, 2009
            If you like stories with strong emotional conflict, you might enjoy this read.

[...]

            Also, my short stories Redemption of a Cavalier and Someone to Share the Sunsets are on sale throughout the month of April for just .99!