299Re: [HRCRomance] Intro

  • Lynne Connolly
    Sep 1, 2007
      Well they were very damp (stone walls hold the damp beautifully) so you'd get rheumatism and arthritis fairly early, you'd have the garderobes to go in, but there wouldn't be any privacy. Despite what you read in the novels, most people in the middle ages didn't have their own bedrooms, they slept communally in the hall with everyone else. The solar was a development of the late middle ages, but before then people just didn't think like that.
      Scottish lairds didn't have castles, that was for the great lords, and they weren't very nice, they were defensive structures, not homes.
      And no detergent. Only soap. Soap doesn't wash you hair or clothes very efficiently, it always leaves a residue that can build up over time.
      If you had servants to wash, clean and cook it might be okay. But no books, they were handwritten, extremely precious and counted as treasures.
      No ipods, no TV's, no cars, no trains, no planes, oh dear me no, not for me!

      I think if it weren't for the lack of in door plumbing, I would be so happy to live in a Medieval castle with a hot Scottish laird.

      --
      Untitled Document

      Lynne Connolly, author of Sensual Historical Romance
      visit http: //www. lynneconnolly. com

      What if you're in love - but you can't make love?
      Last Chance, My Love from Samhain Publishing

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic