2382A very important message to consider

  • Rose Anderson
    Jan 18, 2012

      Good Morning Fellow Authors, Readers, Internet users,

      Many years ago, there was a pastor by the name of Martin Niemoller who wrote this memorable piece about the Nazi's:

      First they came for the communists,
      and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

      Then they came for the trade unionists,
      and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

      Then they came for the Jews,
      and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

      Then they came for the Catholics,
      and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

      Then they came for me
      and there was no one left to speak out for me.

      What I am about to say isn't about Nazis, it's about when to say something before it's too late. On the surface, the SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act, and it's twin senate bill, PIPA, both seem like a great idea....on the outside. I've had my books pirated, and I'd love it if it didn't happen. But when this US bill is placed side by side with ...say.. China's internet censorship, there really are few differences. And that's a frightening thing. Not only would this bill change the face of the internet as we know it, it could set in place monopolies. Experience says when there's only one well to drink from, the price of water gets as high as the monopoly wants it to be. This would include paying for internet use. But beyond monopolies, it also opens the door to internet censorship. Authors, many of us write erotic fiction. How long before that door closes right in our faces? How many of our blogs and websites would be shut down for inappropriate content? Rolling that ball forward, how long before the virtual book burnings begin? Non-erotic romance writers, how long before someone determines what appropriate is? The people of China know.

      Today, January 18th, is a day of protest. To show the world what this bill of censorship can do, sites such as Mozilla, Wordpress, Wikipedia, and thousands of others are blacking out. If you can't join this very important fight by blacking out, please inform yourself and say something. Please take the time to learn about SOPA and PIPA  http://sopablackout.org/learnmore/ and then call or fax http://www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb/  and email your Representative and Senators https://wfc2.wiredforchange.com/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173

      The internet is a remarkable FREE tool -- a marvelous resource for information. How many times as writers do we chase down a thought or check a fact for our stories? Do other people have the right to tell you what you can and cannot discover?...what you can and cannot know? I've set my blog to go black for 24 hours http://calliopeswritingtablet.com/ Visit me there to learn more. I'll also be calling my reps and signing the petitions today. I hope you do too. Please say something before it's too late. Thanks.

      Rose Anderson
      Love Waits in Unexpected Places