Combined street/railroad bridge

  • vgrumpe
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2013
      Hello,

      I want to install a combined street/railroad bridge on my layout. It will be a steel truss bridge, the deck will be made from wooden ties. Concerning the gap between the rails I see two design possibilities:

      1. install guard rails and fill the gap between the guard rails with wood ties
      2. install wood ties between the rails with leaving a gap for the wheel flanges

      For the road (it will be an unpaved dirt/gravel road) I see three possibilities:

      1. If using guard rails on the bridge I could extend them into the road and fill the gap between the guard rails with dirt/gravel
      2. install wood guards and fill the gap between the guards with dirt/gravel
      3. install wood ties between the rails with leaving a gap for the wheel flanges

      On the outside of the rail I could go with the dirt/gravel directly to the rail or I could install a wooden plank as a divider between road and rail.

      What might be the most reasonable and prototypical approach? Are there any other options? As my railroad is running low on cash it should be a cheap solution...

      Thanks in advance for your tips and hints, Volker
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013
        On 11/04/2013 09:51 PM, vgrumpe@... wrote:

        > I want to install a combined street/railroad bridge on my layout. It will be a
        > steel truss bridge, the deck will be made from wooden ties. ...

        I recall crossing a couple such SG rail/road bridges in rural New Brunswick, on
        a family trip of circa 1970. I will see if I can find the photos tonight.

        My current recollection is of a standard timber RR bridge deck: ties at about
        12" centers, outside timber guards, and inside rail guards. Highway traffic was
        accommodated with a lengthwise planked running surface, say a double layer of
        2" stock. This may not have extended the full width to the timber guards, since
        driving directly on ties is bumpy, but not necessarily a problem, unless some
        are rotten. Only one way traffic of course. I don't recall how the guard rail
        gap was handled, but suspect a lengthwise timber filler.

        For a current example, use Google Maps to locate the Clark Lake Road / BCRR
        crossing of the ? river, about 3 miles SSE of Fort Nelson, BC. While Google
        street view has not yet visited, the street view icon pops up a couple still
        photos, one of which clearly shows the deck arranged much as I describe above.

        John Stutz
      • jc
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013
          Well guys, I finally completed my 453 backdate rebuild. I'm not a big fan of K series engines, and this engine was a bit more challenging than my C-19 backdate.....Maybe it was my lack of motivation. The model does look great and I'm really happy with the outcome.
          I posted a picture of the finished engine on the Hon3 site. Here is a copy of the link....Hope it works.

          jc
        • Russ Norris
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013

            Verrry nice, JC.  I am inspired to get cracking on EBT #18 which I have been promising to paint for a long time.

            Russ Norris

            On Nov 5, 2013 5:36 PM, "jc" <zul36@...> wrote:

            Well guys, I finally completed my 453 backdate rebuild. I'm not a big fan of K series engines, and this engine was a bit more challenging than my C-19 backdate.....Maybe it was my lack of motivation. The model does look great and I'm really happy with the outcome.
            I posted a picture of the finished engine on the Hon3 site. Here is a copy of the link....Hope it works.

            jc

          • westonpartsmgr
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013

              JC,

              BRAVO! I have never been a big fan of the K's either, but this one could change that...

              Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful model with us.

              Ross

              ---In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, <zul36@...> wrote:

              Well guys, I finally completed my 453 backdate rebuild. I'm not a big fan of K series engines, and this engine was a bit more challenging than my C-19 backdate.....Maybe it was my lack of motivation. The model does look great and I'm really happy with the outcome.
              I posted a picture of the finished engine on the Hon3 site. Here is a copy of the link....Hope it works.

              jc
            • JC

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013

                  Thank you Russ!  Yes, get cracking!!!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013
                    Jc,
                     Excellent job . I really enjoy seeing what your modeling .hope all is well with you.

                    Nick
                    Orange ca

                    Sent from my iPhone

                  • JC

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013

                            Hello John,

                            the pictures from Google Maps are really helpful.

                            Thanks and best regards, Volker

                          • JC

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 9, 2013

                                    Above is a link to a picture of the custom decals for TOC engines I received today. The Original Whistle Stop (818-796-7791) has a limited supply available for sale in Hon3 and On3. FYI: If the person who answers the phone does not know what you're talking about, have them ask Jerry Spoelma or Fred Hill.
                                    Everybody is familiar with the Roman Font, and they have been produced them in the correct deluxe Gold color. Cimarron made a yellow Roman font set for the DSP&P, but the color is incorrect for the D&RG. Butt, what really got me excited was the block lettering!!!!
                                    When I was doing the research and backdating my Blackstone C-19, I discovered the block lettering on one of the picture. The block lettering appeared to have been used by the D&RG before the Roman Font (Around 1898). I also noticed the block lettering on the domes on some of the earlier scheme's. I really liked the lettering so much I I had to have it.......I guess I wanted a little variety, and my wagontop 228 will be getting this lettering.
                                    They also have two different number sizes for the tender. Most of the pictures I looked through had the taller flared tenders (above the window sill of the cab) with the 24" numbers, while the lower slung flared tender (At or below the window sill of the cab)had the 18".....But there were exceptions.....Jerry showed me a pictures of a 4-6-0, 45 1/2 class(Engine number 161), with the low slung tender and it had the 24" lettering. Regardless both decal sets (Roman and Block) provide two different font sizes for the tender (24" and 18"), and the 12 inch for the cab. The set also provided three different sizes of D.&.R.G. The tenders and cabs all have different spacing in the area where this letter is applied(depending on manufacturer), and using what looks right is important to me....I wish I had these before I lettered my K-27!!!
                                    The decal set also has the Denver and Rio Grande lettering with no drop shadow. Some engines had this lettering as late as 1904. The K-27's were even delivered with this scheme. Also they included the RGS and Rio Grande Southern. I guess they felt they were so close to the D&RG, that it was very possible the RGS shops used the same lettering....Looks like I've got to backdate a few more engines.
                                    jc
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 12, 2013
                                      On 11/06/2013 09:46 PM, vgrumpe@... wrote:
                                      Re: BC Rail bridge at Fort Nelson, BC

                                      > the pictures from Google Maps are really helpful.

                                      Turns out Volker, that what I described in my last are a composite of memories
                                      from several rail bridges converted to road use. The road/rail bridge that I
                                      photographed in eastern Canada in 1974 was actually a twin span steel double
                                      deck Pratt truss, with rail above and road below, located somewhere in eastern
                                      Quebec or New Brunswick. I recorded as being near the Cascabedia R. on Quebec's
                                      Gaspe Peninsular, but Google Maps does not show anything of a similar
                                      configuration, anywhere nearby.

                                      You had asked specifically about guard rails, and their extension off of a
                                      bridge. Contrary to common model RR practice, inside steel guard rails are
                                      typically about 8"/20cm clear of the running rails, and extend 50-100'/15-30m
                                      beyond the bridge's end. The 50' is the Harriman Lines Common Standard for
                                      two-way traffic. The 100' was the Pennsylvania Lines standard for the approach
                                      end on double track lines, with only 50' on the departing end. Most SG roads
                                      were at or near the lower end of this range. These numbers are abstracted from
                                      the Bridge Committee report on Steel Bridge Decks, for the 1917 meeting of the
                                      Am. Ry. Bridge & Building Officer's Assoc.

                                      The point of such lengths being that, if a car is more than half way off of the
                                      track, the guard rails will divert it down the embankment before it can hit the
                                      bridge. This in turn because Steam Era American RR bridges rarely had any
                                      structural redundancy. So while tension rods or eye bars could take a moderate
                                      hit, any kink in any post would fold the post and bring the bridge down. The
                                      only concession to safety against impact was the occasional inclusion of short
                                      collision posts, bracing a through bridge's portal posts near their mid points.