Re: State of HOn3

  • logluver
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 23, 2013
      Hello All.

         I attended a narrow gauge meet in Cedar Falls, Iowa recently and noticed that of the forty some modelers attending there were only two in HOn3, one in live steam and the rest in On3 or On30.  Is this an accurate percentage or are my observations off?  I realize that On30 had really taken off several years ago but HO is still the most popular scale with Blackstone helping our numbers lately. Did anyone else from this group attend also?

      Rich C
      Hampshire, IL
    • Richard Johnson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 23, 2013
        I went to the NNGC in Pasadena in late august.  I would say, most NG modelers are Hon3.  I am both HOn3 and On3 and have tried out On30 and Gn3.  I left both of those, On30 just wast my type of crowd, or modeling.  Though fun, I like prototyping, even if it is freelanced like my On3 Sierra Sugar Pine Lumber co,  I follow standards.   On30 does not. Hence it is very fun for people that love narrow gauge but not rivet counting or prototyping.  A k28 running on On30, oh make me gag.
        I would say that Hon3 today is flooded with modelers.  We have two at our club in San Diego that have bought blackstone models and gotten into Hon3 that never would have considdered it before.
        Rich Johnson

        www.RichardSJohnson.net

        "Those who enjoy freedom must endeavor to preserve it."

        "Liberalism is a plague upon humanity.  It causes one to seek to confiscate the wealth of his neighbor and to steal away his liberties in the call of safety or fairness."

        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms…"
        Thomas Jefferson

        To: HOn3@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 24, 2013
          Actually Rich there was about 6 of us that were Sn3 . But to your point On30 is the hottest and fastest growing Narrow Gauge from my observations and like you said appeals to the cost conscience Modeller just staring out. I know it did for me. I started out in On30 but lacked the space and is dabbled in HOn3 but wanted something in between . There are a few more guys in the group that I met that are into HOn3 but they weren't there so at the next meet I can point them out to you or better yet have Jim do it since he knows so many more. Don't feel to left out I still do love HOn3 and still have a few things left but want to work on my Sn3. And it has been a slow process to get to know people for me since I was a military Modeller first. But the group has a great group of guys who know a lot. Hope to see you at Trainfest. God bless Warren

          Sent from my iPhone

        • duncan
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 24, 2013
            Rich,

            I think HOn3 is still the most prevelent scale/gauge combination in
            narrow gauge. My club, in the south Denver metro area, has about 20
            members. All, but one are HOn3. That one is On3. I have been building
            a tentative list of layouts in the metro area for the 2017 NNGC
            convention. So far I have about 35. One is On3, one is Gn3, one is
            On30, about three are Sn3, two are HO standard and the rest are all
            HOn3! Still building the list, but so far HOn3 is very prevalent.
            Duncan
          • railwayeng
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 24, 2013
              I belong to a club in Prescott AZ and 90 members are HO standard.
              but there are two of us hard core NG and we are in Sn3.

                it depends on where you are./  in Tucson AZ there are a lot more in NG
              and they are Sn3.
                 in the Seattle area there are a lot of Sn3'ers
              it depends on where you are.
              -Steve Hatch

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 24, 2013
                  Hi Rich it's in Milwaukee  but I was answering a buddy from here in Illinois. No problem As for the military I was the acting for a while with the 502nd widow makers C co. Also was with the 25th Inf. Tropic Lightning.
                  Thanks Warren
                  Sent from my iPhone

                • JOHN SPRATLEY
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 24, 2013
                    Hi Guys. From my experience over here(in UK), On30, is by far, the most popular North American N.G.modelling scale, mainly due to the affordability, and availability of Bachmann stuff. There are a number scale/gauge combinations over here, for modellers of British, Irish, European, and other world N.G. Prototypes, but HOn3 is not That popular because of the High cost of Blackstone and Imported Brass, low availability, and it has to be said, of lack of choice of anything But Colorado prototypes!. HOn30 has a small but growing following, again because of affordability, and the availability of  "009" and N track systems, and the Minitrains stuff(check out the New Minitrains HOn30 US train set), plus Myner Models new 3D print Kits.in HOn30!.
                       Most American modellers here use HO standard Gauge, and Modern Image, because that is what is widely available. However, I`ve heard many say that they would Like to incorpoate some Narrow Gauge, but don`t because £350 (approx$500) for a Blackstone loco, is way above what they could afford, even though they can now get Peco HOn3 track and switches.
                       If Bachmann could do a generic HOn3 loco for arround $150, for say a 2-6-0 dc,  with  details, for the owner to add(customize), like the old NWSL Spartans, or the MDC/Roundhouse "Kits" (Shock Horror, I used a 4 letter word), then maybe HOn3 might expand to a whole NEW market.!
                     That`s Only a Dream, as they Make the Blackstone Stuff, and Blackstone have a vertual monopoly on the  HOn3 RTR market.    However, The costs of Manufacture in China, are Rapidly riseing, and production runs are set to shrink,due to high demand from model companies world wide, on only two plants, plus shipping costs are also riseing, so Maybe the days of widely(in the US) available RTR NG, HOn3 may be drawing to a close. Unless of course, Somebody decides to Invest in High Tech production facilities, and methods in the US or Europe. ? ? ? ?      Kind Regards John.Therailtoad.
                  • martburm
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 24, 2013
                      I think there are more 'buyers' in On30 but I think Hon3 has more 'modelers'. On30 'buyers' can use Ho flex track and squint to pretend the ties are the right size and spacing. Also makes the couplers look like the correct height and size.

                      Dusty Burman

                      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, <hatch@...> wrote:

                      > I belong to a club in Prescott AZ and 90 members are HO standard.
                      > but there are two of us hard core NG and we are in Sn3.
                      >
                      > it depends on where you are./ in Tucson AZ there are a lot more in NG
                      > and they are Sn3.
                      > in the Seattle area there are a lot of Sn3'ers
                      > it depends on where you are.
                      > -Steve Hatch
                      >

                      > ---In hon3@yahoogroups.com, <train3guy@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Rich,
                      >
                      > I think HOn3 is still the most prevelent scale/gauge combination in
                      > narrow gauge. My club, in the south Denver metro area, has about 20
                      > members. All, but one are HOn3. That one is On3. I have been building
                      > a tentative list of layouts in the metro area for the 2017 NNGC
                      > convention. So far I have about 35. One is On3, one is Gn3, one is
                      > On30, about three are Sn3, two are HO standard and the rest are all
                      > HOn3! Still building the list, but so far HOn3 is very prevalent.
                      > Duncan

                    • Art Rogers
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 27, 2013

                        In Des Moines, it's mostly On3, with one or two On30 guys. In on the fence between On30 and HOn3. I've got some HOn30 equipment, but Blackstone makes it tough to want to stay in that scale. The stopper is being more interested in NG in Central America than Colorado!!

                        When and when is this meet is Cedar Rapids? I missed the NG convention this year in Pasadena, but I plan to be at the KC show.

                      • John Cummings
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 27, 2013
                          Art--
                          Join the South of the Border group!        John C.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 28, 2013

                            In regards to the state of HOn3.  I am going to start building my little HOn3 branch line  on my HO layout.  It is a similar story as the EBT.  It still exists in 1976.  Anyway.....I am a Pennsylvania guy.  I like the PA Logging Railroads.  There ARE others who would love to do Narrow Gauge layouts based on PA logging lines.  We had thousands of miles of logging RR's here.  But I have to steal locomotives!

                            I would just like to see something other than Colorado RR's.  Hey they are SWEET and COOL.  Cant wait to travel out west and explore them.  But my Blackstone K-27 running in the woods of Pennsylvania looks odd. Those drivers will get stuck in the mud...... The story is we bought it off you Colorado guys.  The C-19's are similar to some of the locomotives used out this way.  Bachman makes some great logging RR locomotives.  They just need to narrow the trucks and make the loco a little lighter on the rails.

                            If you want to expand the hobby and "scale" of HOn3......Try putting out something from the east side of the country.

                            Thats my take.

                             Thanks,

                               Jason

                            ---In hon3@yahoogroups.com, <jcmm3030@...> wrote:

                            Art--
                            Join the South of the Border group!        John C.

                            In Des Moines, it's mostly On3, with one or two On30 guys. In on the fence between On30 and HOn3. I've got some HOn30 equipment, but Blackstone makes it tough to want to stay in that scale. The stopper is being more interested in NG in Central America than Colorado!!
                            When and when is this meet is Cedar Rapids? I missed the NG convention this year in Pasadena, but I plan to be at the KC show.
                          • Russ Norris