Re: Blackstone Weathered C19s

  • Mick Moignard
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 21, 2013
      I suspect that this C19 weathering issue has not been a great commercial success for Soundtraxx, and I'm suspecting that it's part or all of the background to the decision that the K-36s and K-28s will be in non-weathered only.

      Personally I only buy non-weathered and do them myself: i then get what I want, and save the not inconsiderable difference between the weathered and non-weathered price.  In the case of the C19s, that difference buys a gondola or stock car, and gives me 8-10 hours fun modelling time weathering the pair.

      Mick
      Mick Moignard
      IBM Notes and Collaboration Solutions Consultant
      p: +44 7774 652504
      e:
      mick@...
      skype: mickmoignard
      w:
      http://www.mickmoignard.com
      IBM Notes and Domino: the world's most successful App Dev and Collaboration platform, bar none!
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 21, 2013
        Mick,

        Not sure of the numbers of weathered v. non-weathered locos produced but the weathered always seem to sell out first. But you're right, I just took a look at the flyer and only non-weathered 28's and 36's are listed.

        8-10 hours? There's a great little article in the Model Railroader entitled 'Weather a loco in seven minutes - Really'. Not sure what you'd make of that and no, I didn't buy it.

        Mark K
        Durango, CO
        www.drhs315.org

        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:

        > I suspect that this C19 weathering issue has not been a great commercial
        > success for Soundtraxx, and I'm suspecting that it's part or all of the
        > background to the decision that the K-36s and K-28s will be in
        > non-weathered only.
      • Russ Norris
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 21, 2013

          Was that a recent issue of MR?

          Russ Norris

          On Oct 21, 2013 11:44 AM, "Mark" <marowicz@...> wrote:

          Mick,

          Not sure of the numbers of weathered v. non-weathered locos produced but the weathered always seem to sell out first. But you're right, I just took a look at the flyer and only non-weathered 28's and 36's are listed.

          8-10 hours? There's a great little article in the Model Railroader entitled 'Weather a loco in seven minutes - Really'. Not sure what you'd make of that and no, I didn't buy it.

          Mark K
          Durango, CO
          www.drhs315.org

          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:

          > I suspect that this C19 weathering issue has not been a great commercial
          > success for Soundtraxx, and I'm suspecting that it's part or all of the
          > background to the decision that the K-36s and K-28s will be in
          > non-weathered only.

        • davidmartinbarron
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 21, 2013
            Yes, this month of MRR.  Sorry for not trimming message, I am on an iPad and forgot how.  Dave

            Not sure of the numbers of weathered v. non-weathered locos produced but the weathered always seem to sell out first. But you're right, I just took a look at the flyer and only non-weathered 28's and 36's are listed.

            8-10 hours? There's a great little article in the Model Railroader entitled 'Weather a loco in seven minutes - Really'. Not sure what you'd make of that and no, I didn't buy it.

            Mark K
            Durango, CO
            www.drhs315.org

            --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:

            > I suspect that this C19 weathering issue has not been a great commercial
            > success for Soundtraxx, and I'm suspecting that it's part or all of the
            > background to the decision that the K-36s and K-28s will be in
            > non-weathered only.

          • Pete Nelson
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 21, 2013
              Russ,

              The weathering article is in the Nov 2013 MR.

              Pete Nelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 21, 2013
                With all respect to Tony Koester, one has to be very careful when using chalks on locomotives.  Any errant chalk dust that gets in the bearings, i.e., side and main rod bushings, axle bushings, etc. can produce accelerated ware if not total failure.  I still use chalks occasionally on freight cars but I prefer using my air brush on my locomotives.  Incidentally, I think I can weather a loco in 7 minutes or less with an air brush, but it takes a lot longer to clean it up afterwords!

                Jim Vail

                Mick,

                Not sure of the numbers of weathered v. non-weathered locos produced but the weathered always seem to sell out first. But you're right, I just took a look at the flyer and only non-weathered 28's and 36's are listed.

                8-10 hours? There's a great little article in the Model Railroader entitled 'Weather a loco in seven minutes - Really'. Not sure what you'd make of that and no, I didn't buy it.

                Mark K
                Durango, CO
                www.drhs315.org

                --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:

                > I suspect that this C19 weathering issue has not been a great commercial
                > success for Soundtraxx, and I'm suspecting that it's part or all of the
                > background to the decision that the K-36s and K-28s will be in
                > non-weathered only.

              • Mike Bauers
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 22, 2013
                  I think 7-minute weathering can be done with an open cup airbrush. As you use a weathering color, pour out the excess and pour in the next, your resulting colors will have a bit of family blending to them and still be distinctive weathering tones. Or as you pour in some cleaning solvent between colors and move on to the more pure next color.......

                  As long as you have a decent plan for what weathering effects you want to use and know where to apply those, a fine tip airbrush would make a swift job of a complicated multiple color weathering. A two-stage Badger 150 would be an ideal type of tool for this job, as well as any similar airbrush.

                  Details like dis-engaging the gear drive so that you can roll the spoked wheels as needed to eliminate painting 'shadows' and making certain to also paint behind parts would be part of your plan.

                  Maybe not exactly 7-minutes, but it can be a swift chore.

                  Best to ya...
                  Mike Bauers
                  Milwaukee, Wi, USA
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 23, 2013
                    On 10/22/2013 12:16 PM, Mike Bauers wrote:

                    Details like dis-engaging the gear drive so that you can roll the spoked wheels as needed to eliminate painting 'shadows' and making certain to also paint behind parts would be part of your plan.

                    Best to ya...
                    Mike Bauers
                    Milwaukee, Wi, USA

                    I don't disengauge the drive or anything fancy when I'm weathering a locomotive.  I have a dedicated piece of track (duel gauge) with power leads to the rails in my paint room.  It has a heavy block at each end.  After I have done the rest of the weathering I mount the loco, apply power (DC or DCC as needed) and the loco runs against the block and as the wheels rotate (while slipping) I weather the running gear.  Takes no more than 30 seconds for each side for this step.  For unpowered rolling stock I just role the piece back and forth slightly as I do the weathering.   I use a double action gun and mix the paint in the cup, sometimes letting the colors blend, as Mike suggested - but a single action gun of most any make would work just as well.  Its all very simple and quite unsophisticated.  Beats the heck out of paying for a commercial weathering job that will look like everyone else's weathering job.
                    Jim Vail

                  • Mike Bauers
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 23, 2013
                      I forgot that the last time I did this, I clipped jumpers onto the motor leads and slowly ran the mechanism to prevent static shadows behind the spoked drivers and rods.

                      When I painted the frame and running gear areas, I held the model from the top [via the running boards] while wearing 'rubber' gloves.

                      Best to ya...
                      Mike Bauers
                      Milwaukee, Wi, USA
                    • Mick Moignard