Re: [HOn3] K-36 Nickname

  • roger eyrich
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 29 9:36 AM
      "Workhorses"

      Roger Eyrich
      Flagstaff, Az.

      The K-27s were known as "mudhens" and the K-28s were known as "sport
      models." The D&RGW tried to give the K-36s a name, even used it in the
      "Scenic Line Monthly" employee magazine in 1926. But it did not stick.
      Anyone know what the D&RGW wanted to call the K-36s which were the
      largest narrow gauge locomotives in the world at the time they were put
      into service.

      Jerry Day
      Longmont, Colorado

    • Robert
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 3, 2013
        Ed, Thank you very much for this most interesting account. It's all too easy for these important facts to get lost. Good thing somebody asked you! I'll appreciate these K-36 engines all the more, including those who managed to tide them over the leanest period.

        Thanks again, and greetings from Switzerland,

        Robert