Re: [HOn3] Aerial Cumbres & Coltec video

  • Don
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
      It looks to be mostly Computer generated.

      Don
    • Curt
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
        T'would be cool if there was video of the entire route. The radio range limit of about 1K feet would make it necessary to operate the copter from the train itself. That would be great except for the 15 min-or-less flight time. Guess they'd need two copters and a bunch of charged batteries. Someone will do it....I can't wait! Curt

        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "kschw80232" <Tranz4mr@...> wrote:

        > Checkout this amateur video of the Cumbres & Toltec taken with a remote helicopter and a GoPro camcorder.
        > https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fWedSayZ64A

      • Don
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
          Look closer,it's all CG..

          Don..
        • brndnmurph
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
            Just amazing?
            Will we 'perhaps' see inside the 'cab's and firegrates' in the future?
            Brendan!
            ---- kschw80232 <Tranz4mr@...> wrote:
            > Checkout this amateur video of the Cumbres & Toltec taken with a remote helicopter and a GoPro camcorder.
            > https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fWedSayZ64A

          • jbbowers81007
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
              --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Don <rgs455@...> wrote:

              > Look closer,it's all CG..
              >
              > Don..

              Did you watch it in 1080p on a 27" or larger screen? Did you research the videographer? It would cost more to render that video in realistic CG than it would ever cost to buy the quad copter and GoPro and film the real thing. Occam's Razor.

              Brad Bowers
            • brndnmurph
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
                I don't care, It worked in wonderment for me!
                Brendan
              • roundbellrr
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
                  Some of it looks a little CGI but I think that is the result of video
                  quality of the small camera that could be lifted by the model helicopter and the
                  limited picture quality of YouTube. The video looks a little "pasty" but
                  the video quality of the trees, smoke, steam and rocks on Windy Point prove
                  it is real video. It would take a Paramount or Warner Brothers budget to
                  do this and it would have to be night shots. LocoDoc

                  In a message dated 7/22/2013 9:21:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                  jbbowers66@... writes:

                  --- In _HOn3@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:HOn3@yahoogroups.com) , Don
                  <rgs455@...> wrote:

                  > Look closer,it's all CG..
                  >
                  > Don..

                  Did you watch it in 1080p on a 27" or larger screen? Did you research the
                  videographer? It would cost more to render that video in realistic CG than
                  it would ever cost to buy the quad copter and GoPro and film the real
                  thing. Occam's Razor.

                  Brad Bowers

                • Hart Corbett
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 23, 2013
                    All:

                    I agree with most of the comments on this thread, having ridden and photographed the C&TS many times. The video most definitely is not CGI. I've seen far too many GoPro Hero cameras (my brother in law has two) in use, including on the ground, attached to helmets of people riding ATVs on the jeep roads around the West Portal of the Alpine Tunnel, on the helmets and chest protective gear of motorcyclists on jeep roads such as Imogene Pass (13,000 ft) out of Telluride, etc.

                    For members of this List who are interested modeling the long defunct DSP&P/C&S narrow gauge of Colorado, here is the link to a GoPro Hero camera aerial video of Como, CO, its restored stone roundhouse, the hotel (now a B&B), the depot on process of being restored, and railroad related stone foundations in the roundhouse area. The camera was mounted on a two rotor radio controlled miniature helicopter (the two rotors can be seen in the upper left and right corners of the video). The video lasts 6 minutes, 36 seconds and was taken in the Summer of 2012.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_E3_aUFrWA

                    I have visited Como many times, starting in April 1962 when Bob Richardson of the Colo. RR Museum first told me how to get to the place. This aerial video showed me all sorts of things which I had missed when I was walking the area over the years, as well as just how it all fits together. Something like this is of great value to both modelers and railroad historians.

                    With best regards, Hart
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 26, 2013
                      All,

                      this is a great video!

                      i've had my dji phantom outfitted with a gopro 3 for awhile now and test flying it around my house in ohio. im getting ready to take it up to Huckleberry RR to chase 464!

                      love it!

                      Dave