Re: [HOn3] Re: Blackstone K-27 backdate

    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 25, 2013
      On 06/23/2013 06:05 PM, jc wrote: <regarding Uintah 2-8-2 #30>
      > Chris-I'm not very familiar with Uintah, and really would know how close it
      > was.

      Uintah #30 was a 1911 Baldwin 3' gauge 2-8-2, of about 30,000 lbs TF, so it
      rated K-30 in the D&RGW scheme and was noticeably heaver than the K-27s and
      K-28s. The #30 retained the K-27's small drivers and outside frames, but added
      120 degree counterweights, standard format Walscharts outside valve gear with
      slide valves, and the outside Rushton trailing truck. Both of the latter were
      much as used on contemporary EBT #12. The #30 was the heavy engine on the
      Uintah's north side, used to move loads south to the base of the 5% grade at
      Wendeila, even after arrival of the Mallets. This area was very remote and
      difficult of access, prior to conversion of the RR to a road, and #30 was not
      often photographed. Polley's second volume has the best coverage that I am aware of.

      See:
      http://content.lib.utah.edu:81/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Uintah_History&CISOPTR=221&CISOBOX=1&REC=15
      -- a good photo taken up at Rainbow
      http://home.bresnan.net/~bpratt15/images/UintahSale.jpg, -- #30 for sale
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uintah_Railway -- general info
      http://home.bresnan.net/~bpratt15/index.htm -- VERY extensive website
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7IkujWEpm8 -- This is a teaser for a
      45min video from www.machinesofiron.net, which I have not seen.

      Books:
      Bender, Henry E. (1995, Howell-North). Uintah Railway: The Gilsonite Route.
      Forest Park, Illinois: Heimburger House Publishing Co. ISBN-911581-36-7. -- This
      has diagrams for most Uintah locomotives, including 2-8-2s #30 & #40, with a few
      photos of #30.
      Polley, Rodger (1999). Uintah Railway Pictorial - Volume I. Denver, Colorado:
      Sundance Publications, Ltd. ISBN 0-913582-68-9. -- Mostly covers the line south
      of Atchee and Baxter Pass, where the #40 was used.
      Polley, Rodger (2002). Uintah Railway Pictorial - Volume II. Denver, Colorado:
      Sundance Publications, Ltd. ISBN 0-913582-73-5. -- Mostly north of Atchee and
      Baxter Pass, with most(all?) photos of #30, and a BLW photopaster.
      N.C.Remington, 'History of the Gilsonite industry', MS thesis at
      http://content.lib.utah.edu:81/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/etd1&CISOPTR=1761&CISOBOX=1&REC=2
      -- Possibly of interest for general background, no photos.

      John Stutz
    • jc
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 15, 2013
        Thank Chris. The lamp is the one off the Westside model.

        Looks awesome as usual, JC. Is that headlight a PSC piece or did you have
        to modify the standard box type?

        Chris