Re: [HOn3] Barge Cement

  • Jeffrey J. Brundt
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
      What sort of properties are you looking for in the adhesive?

      Flexibility after curing?
      Ability to bond dissimilar materials?
      Working time before cure?
      Fast or slow curing time
      compatibility with materials to be bonded?
      strength of the bond?
      any or all of the above?

      Have you considered CA, Shoe Goo, Pliobond, Gorilla Glue, epoxy, R/C56? All are excellent adhesives and they can be applied with precision if needed and are compatible with all types of materials. I've used all of these in every facet of model building, from model railroading to RC to plastic models.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
        Paul,

        I use the Barge Cement in the yellow and red tube and I have had no problems.

        Bruce Dunlevy

      • vulturenest1
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013

        • Curt
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
            I'm almost out of Barge. I love it but it  seems the stores in my area no longer carry it. It's available on line but only in large containers. Curt

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
              Switch hobbies and try this:
              http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/adhesives/binding-adhesives

              It's the one in the bottle (FCA), not the tube.

              Designed for wood to plastic and other combos.

              Works great for me.

              BTW, this site has a lot of other potentially useful tools and products.

              Larry
            • pwussow
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                I am following Jim Vail's instructions in the HOn3 annual building a Pickle Tub Car. He calls for barge Cement for coupler pockets to the frame among other items. I have used PlioBond in building track with my Fast Tracks fixtures to get my AP Civil.
                I did find a DAP product that seems to have the old formula of the yellow tube but today only Blue tubes are available in IL.
                Paul
              • Alan Kilby
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                  I get mine from ACE hardware,if there's one close to you they should be able to order it for you if its not in stock,another source is a cobbler/shoe repairs.
                    Alan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 21, 2013
                    The blue tubes of Barge Cament are all that we can get here in
                    California now. But it works just as well as the yellow tube formula -
                    just a little more 'stringy'. I used the blue tube Barge cement when I
                    built my pickle car. I wasn't meaning to say that using cement to
                    mount couplers was the absolute way to do it - just the way I did it.
                    Mounting couplers with screws would always be more desirable if you can
                    figure how to do it without the screws showing.

                    Jim Vail