Re: [HOn3] Re: Testors no longer producing model paints

  • Rick Blanchard
    Message 1 of 15 , May 21, 2013
      I think it will be a good idea to make paint color samples of the
      Floquil and other lines being dropped so in the future if someone
      wants to recreate a Floquil Pullman Green or Testors School Bus
      Yellow, there will be something to match to and make a match from
      whatever is left for modelers to use.

      Rick
    • Curt
      Message 2 of 15 , May 21, 2013
        How do you like the way they airbrush as compared to Floquil or acrylic paints? Looks like they have a lot of colors that could be mixed to get the desired colors. Curt

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 15 , May 21, 2013
          I have not used the Vallejo paints in an airbrush, so I can not speak to that technique. Maybe someone else here on the forum has some experience using Vallejo paint in an airbrush and can speak about their experience.

          What I do know about airbrushing with the Vallejo is that there appears to be a lot of military and figure modelers who are turning to the Vallejo paints and appear to be happy with the Vallejo paints. Looks like some of those guys are airbrushing Vallejo.

          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Curt <hamtrains1@...> wrote:

          > How do you like the way they airbrush as compared to Floquil or acrylic paints? Looks like they have a lot of colors that could be mixed to get the desired colors. Curt

        • homanfamily
          Message 4 of 15 , May 21, 2013
            My two cents on this bad news is that Scalecoat is still available and airbrushes extremely well. It is glossy to semi-glossy, which made Floquil better for weathering but this might be solved by experimenting.
            Pat Homan
            How do you like the way they airbrush as compared to Floquil or acrylic paints? Looks like they have a lot of colors that could be mixed to get the desired colors. Curt

            ________________________________
            I have been obtaining most of my Vallejo Paint product from Colorado Miniatures. I have found that the prices they have are on the lower end when compared to other hobby stores on the web which offer the Vallejo line.

            A link to the Colorado Miniatures web site and Vallejo Paints is:
            http://www.coloradominiatures.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=2

          • Pete
            Message 5 of 15 , May 21, 2013
              Scalecoat is good, but doesn't anyone on the list have experience with Star
              Brand?

              From PBL and great for narrow gauge modeling.

              Pete

              My two cents on this bad news is that Scalecoat is
            • hollis5632
              Message 6 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                Scalecoat is good but the convenience of a water based paint could not be surpassed.

                Scalecoat is good, but doesn't anyone on the list have experience with Star
                Brand?

                From PBL and great for narrow gauge modeling.

                Pete

                Message 7 of 15 , May 21, 2013

                • William Lugg
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                    I haven' seen any mention of this outfit: http://www.trucolorpaint.com/.
                    I got their info off the UP_Modelers list back in May of 2012. I haven't
                    actually used it, but it looks like they have a good variety of colors
                    for the Class 1 roads at least. Maybe some of the colors would be a good
                    start for the narrow gauge world too. I noticed that for the Colorado
                    folks anyway, Caboose Hobbies stocks the complete line and Custom
                    Railway Supply in Colorado Springs carries them too.

                    Might be another option...

                    One other thought - has anybody considered that Testors might at some
                    point sell the names and paint formulas (not sure what is patented when
                    it comes to paint) to a company like Scalecoat that might want to get
                    into the acrylic business? I know it looks bleak now, but maybe there's
                    more going on under the covers that we're not aware of yet.

                    Bill Lugg

                    On 05/21/2013 08:20 PM, vulturenest1@... wrote:

                    > I did that for a lot of the reds for many paint brands. I painted
                    > samples on white .040" styrene, about 1-1/2" wise and 10" long, and
                    > use these sample sticks to select various boxcar reds for my fleet. I
                    > model Arizona and want a good variation of red shades on the rolling

                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                      I've used Star paints and I get good results, downside it that they're difficult to get hold of.

                      Mark K
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 22, 2013
                        Caboose Hobbies carries Star Paints now.

                        Mike Conder
                        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      • Hart Corbett
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 22, 2013
                          All:

                          WARNING!

                          For anybody who wishes to stock-up on these paints, particularly any solvent based paints, be sure to store your paints upside down!

                          Otherwise, the solvent will evaporate over time and the paint will solidify in the bottle. This applies, also, to factory sealed paint. I've used Floquil, among others, since 1960 and speak from experience.

                          Al additional preservative technique which I've used is for bottles that have been opened: cut a small piece of flexible plastic bag (Zip-Loc bags are good) and place them between the cap and the surface of the rim of the glass bottle, then screw the lid on tightly. The little semi-hard plastic seals used by the factory usually are at least somewhat damaged when the bottle is first opened and no longer can be trusted to again seal properly.

                          With best regards, Hart Corbett