Letter from Testors

  • Jeffrey J. Brundt
    Message 1 of 15 , May 20, 2013
      A letter posted on Trainorders.com website

      Friday, May 17th, 2013

      Dear Valued Partner,

      I am writing to inform you about changes that are taking place at the Testor Corporation. For over 80
      years, we have provided premium paints and finishing systems to the craft and hobby industry. Today,
      we announced that we are transforming our business in order to more effectively address the changing
      needs of our consumers and their interests.

      Weve made the decision to exit the following businesses within the Testor® Brand family - Pactra®,
      Floquil®, Polyscale®, and ColorArtz®. This will enable the Testor Corporation to return to our foundation
      of success providing premium, innovative product that inspires creativity. We will continue to accept
      orders and ship product for a limited time based on available quantities.

      Going forward, the following brands will be critical to our success and development Testor®, Model
      Master, and Aztek®. These brands will be infused with marketing support, innovation and operational
      efficiencies.

      In support of this, we have announced a consolidation of operations at our Rockford facilities. Over the
      next several months we will provide updates critical to your order and delivery needs as well as product
      availability. We assure you there will be no disruption to service during this transition.
      Our commitment to the Testor brand has never been stronger. By implementing these changes, and the
      ability to leverage all of Rust-Oleums world class services, we are more strongly poised to take your
      business to the next level through product and merchandising innovations, and increased customer
      intimacy. Please contact me or your sales manager directly with any questions.

      We appreciate your business!

      Best Regards,

      Kristin J. Schiro
      Director of Sales & Marketing

      Message 2 of 15 , May 20, 2013
        On 05/20/2013 02:31 PM, Mike Conder wrote:
        > If the comment <regarding Testors> is real ....
        >
        > Personally I've been moving to Vallejo acrylic paints, but only one local hobby
        > shop carries those.

        Following up on this, I find a Spanish manufacturer, Acrylicos Vallejo with an
        English language website at <http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US>. They offer
        an extraordinary range of Acrylic artists, commercial and model paints. In the
        model paints alone these people have hundreds of colors, provided in a half
        dozen different acrylic vehicles specially formulated for specific modeling
        applications. The basic lines are aimed at military figure and vehicle models,
        and R/C vehicle modelers, but the airbursh colors, washes, pigments, hard
        metalics, and auxiliaries should all be well adapted to railroad modeling.

        What is your source Mike? Unfortunately Vallejo's listing of online and
        physical stores are limited to Spain. Can anyone provide US sources, or name
        reliable online sources that carry a fairly full range?

        Given this class of competition from Europe and Japan, it is no wonder that
        Testors might contemplate abandoning the model paint market.

        John Stutz
      • vulturenest1
        Message 3 of 15 , May 20, 2013

        • KP
          Message 4 of 15 , May 21, 2013
            I have been obtaining most of my Vallejo Paint product from Colorado Miniatures. I have found that the prices they have are on the lower end when compared to other hobby stores on the web which offer the Vallejo line.

            A link to the Colorado Miniatures web site and Vallejo Paints is:
            http://www.coloradominiatures.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=2

          • Rick Blanchard
            Message 5 of 15 , May 21, 2013
              I think it will be a good idea to make paint color samples of the
              Floquil and other lines being dropped so in the future if someone
              wants to recreate a Floquil Pullman Green or Testors School Bus
              Yellow, there will be something to match to and make a match from
              whatever is left for modelers to use.

              Rick
            • Curt
              Message 6 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                How do you like the way they airbrush as compared to Floquil or acrylic paints? Looks like they have a lot of colors that could be mixed to get the desired colors. Curt

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                  I have not used the Vallejo paints in an airbrush, so I can not speak to that technique. Maybe someone else here on the forum has some experience using Vallejo paint in an airbrush and can speak about their experience.

                  What I do know about airbrushing with the Vallejo is that there appears to be a lot of military and figure modelers who are turning to the Vallejo paints and appear to be happy with the Vallejo paints. Looks like some of those guys are airbrushing Vallejo.

                  --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Curt <hamtrains1@...> wrote:

                  > How do you like the way they airbrush as compared to Floquil or acrylic paints? Looks like they have a lot of colors that could be mixed to get the desired colors. Curt

                • homanfamily
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                    My two cents on this bad news is that Scalecoat is still available and airbrushes extremely well. It is glossy to semi-glossy, which made Floquil better for weathering but this might be solved by experimenting.
                    Pat Homan
                    How do you like the way they airbrush as compared to Floquil or acrylic paints? Looks like they have a lot of colors that could be mixed to get the desired colors. Curt

                    ________________________________
                    I have been obtaining most of my Vallejo Paint product from Colorado Miniatures. I have found that the prices they have are on the lower end when compared to other hobby stores on the web which offer the Vallejo line.

                    A link to the Colorado Miniatures web site and Vallejo Paints is:
                    http://www.coloradominiatures.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=2

                  • Pete
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                      Scalecoat is good, but doesn't anyone on the list have experience with Star
                      Brand?

                      From PBL and great for narrow gauge modeling.

                      Pete

                      My two cents on this bad news is that Scalecoat is
                    • hollis5632
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                        Scalecoat is good but the convenience of a water based paint could not be surpassed.

                        Scalecoat is good, but doesn't anyone on the list have experience with Star
                        Brand?

                        From PBL and great for narrow gauge modeling.

                        Pete

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 21, 2013

                        • William Lugg
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                            I haven' seen any mention of this outfit: http://www.trucolorpaint.com/.
                            I got their info off the UP_Modelers list back in May of 2012. I haven't
                            actually used it, but it looks like they have a good variety of colors
                            for the Class 1 roads at least. Maybe some of the colors would be a good
                            start for the narrow gauge world too. I noticed that for the Colorado
                            folks anyway, Caboose Hobbies stocks the complete line and Custom
                            Railway Supply in Colorado Springs carries them too.

                            Might be another option...

                            One other thought - has anybody considered that Testors might at some
                            point sell the names and paint formulas (not sure what is patented when
                            it comes to paint) to a company like Scalecoat that might want to get
                            into the acrylic business? I know it looks bleak now, but maybe there's
                            more going on under the covers that we're not aware of yet.

                            Bill Lugg

                            On 05/21/2013 08:20 PM, vulturenest1@... wrote:

                            > I did that for a lot of the reds for many paint brands. I painted
                            > samples on white .040" styrene, about 1-1/2" wise and 10" long, and
                            > use these sample sticks to select various boxcar reds for my fleet. I
                            > model Arizona and want a good variation of red shades on the rolling

                          • Mark
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 21, 2013
                              I've used Star paints and I get good results, downside it that they're difficult to get hold of.

                              Mark K
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 22, 2013
                                Caboose Hobbies carries Star Paints now.

                                Mike Conder
                                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                              • Hart Corbett
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 22, 2013
                                  All:

                                  WARNING!

                                  For anybody who wishes to stock-up on these paints, particularly any solvent based paints, be sure to store your paints upside down!

                                  Otherwise, the solvent will evaporate over time and the paint will solidify in the bottle. This applies, also, to factory sealed paint. I've used Floquil, among others, since 1960 and speak from experience.

                                  Al additional preservative technique which I've used is for bottles that have been opened: cut a small piece of flexible plastic bag (Zip-Loc bags are good) and place them between the cap and the surface of the rim of the glass bottle, then screw the lid on tightly. The little semi-hard plastic seals used by the factory usually are at least somewhat damaged when the bottle is first opened and no longer can be trusted to again seal properly.

                                  With best regards, Hart Corbett