Re: [HOn3] Re: Garratts

    Message 1 of 15 , May 20, 2013
      See <http://users.powernet.co.uk/hamilton/model.html> for Garratt models.

      The HOn3 2-6-0+0-6-2 that Doug mentioned is the Victoria Government Railways'
      30" gauge prototype, one of which is preserved on the Puffing Billy Line. The
      HO scale brass models were made in several runs for Model Dockyard in Australia
      and Pacific Fast Mail in the U.S. At a very rough guess, these were imported
      circa 1970-80. the prototype is a very chunky little locomotive, rather
      unusually so for a Garratt, when 2-6-2+2-6-2's were much more common. Both HO
      and OO scale versions are currently available from Shapeways, but suffer from
      the designer attempting to do every detail in a single build up. For instance,
      the cab interior is detailed but not removable and will be exceedingly difficult
      to paint. I have the HO one, done in 'frosted detail', which gave a slightly
      rough surface. It is an excellent rendition of the VR engine, but I contemplate
      cutting off a lot of details to get a more generic version. This model will
      look a lot better in 'frosted ultra detail', but at about a 50% price increase.
      It is a little small for 3' gauge, and I think the OO version would be better
      for an HOn3 model, overall size wise, but this entails a 50% increase in volume
      and similar increase in price. See
      <http://www.shapeways.com/shops/shapeways.com/shops/Jeevi>.

      Like Doug I have the DJH Models South African Railways GCA 2-6-2+2-6-2 kit, and
      like Doug's it is half built awaiting conversion from HO to HOn3. Unfortunately
      this is a distinctively German prototype, also well out of the usual for
      Garratts, and it really needs an entirely new mechanism. However this was
      purchased circa 1985, and I am not familiar with current DJH mechanisms. DJH
      also offers the SAR GMA/M 4-8-2+2-8-4+tender in HO and HOm, the New South Wales
      AD-60 4-8-4+4-8-4 in HO, and the LMS 2-6-0+0-6-2 in OO. The latter two are
      very large engines for HO. All these are quite distinctive prototypes The kits
      run about $500-$800, with the RTR versions pushing $3000. See
      <http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/rest-of-world-kits/>.

      For almost legible general arrangement drawings of many (not all) of Beyer
      Peacock's Garratt locomotives see
      <http://emu.msim.org.uk/htmlmn/collections/online/search.php>, with collection
      name 'Beyer, Peacock & Co. Ltd' and object summary 'Garratt drawing **', where
      ** is something specific to narrow your search. 'Garratt drawing' alone gets
      about 500 hits, identified only by registration number, so more specific
      searches will be easier to access. For instance, 'Garratt drawing Dorada' gets
      the Colombian 3' gauge 4-6-2+2-6-4, while 'Garratt drawing 4-6-2' get 31 hits.
      Countries and distinctive terms from railroad names or locomotive classes are
      useful specifiers. I suspect that legible versions of these drawings are
      available for a price, but have not followed up on this, since these give a good
      idea of what BP was building.

      Incidentally: the '2-10-2s(Europian built, but very american looking.)' that
      John mentions seeing on the FC Donna Christina, were built to Baldwin drawings
      supplied to Argentina with mid-1920s orders. Such duplication was very common
      during the Steam Era. There was nothing like modern intellectual property
      rights for such matters. The complete drawings supplied with one order could,
      and often were, sent out for general tender when duplicate engines were needed.