Re: [HOn3] Re: Modern Slide Valve K-27's

  • roundbellrr
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2013
      #460 was probably the last slide valve K-27 in use, definitely looks to be
      the most "modernized" slide valve. Various photos of # 460 in 1938 -1939
      show it at various locations in Salida, it was probably used occasionally.
      This is the prototype for the Westside Modern Slide Valve K-27 which was
      also in the "Durango Express" train set and 200 were used to make the American
      Garrett. LocoDoc

      In a message dated 5/13/2013 11:36:20 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      richceee@... writes:

      Hello All,

      When and where were the last K-27's with slide valves used in service? I
      have
      seen a photo which shows #460 at Salida in the late 1930's. Was it still
      waiting for an infrequent assignment or just stored on the dead line
      waiting for it's scrapping in 1939?

      Rich C
      Hampshire, IL

      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2013
        The late #460 that LocoDoc describes was fairly heavily updated. Dennis
        O'Berry's "The Mudhens", in RRobb's Narrow Gauge Pictorial series, has several
        photos of lightly updated slide valve K-27's found on dead lines in the late
        1930s. That should give you numbers, configurations, and hints of locations. I
        cannot now recall what roster details were provided, but you should find
        disposal dates. This book is pretty much definitive for the K-27s, despite
        minor technical errors. It may still be in print.

        John Stutz