Re: [HOn3] Re: BS C-19 running issues

  • Ivan Abrams
    Message 1 of 43 , May 12, 2013
      I imagine that there will be quite a few C-19 owners spending some time cleaning up the various contact improver liquids they've applied to their models. Lesson learned: if intermittent electrical problems occur, check the wiring, as well as soldered and hard-wired connections, before pouring magic fluids all over the device. Whether the connection is part of a tether, a single or multiple wired plug, or a soldered joint, contact failures occur and the results are generally what's been described--unpredictable, irregular, partial or total operational failure.

      I suspect the capacitor remedy works because it stores up electrical energy while the circuit is complete, then delivers it if the circuit is broken. The basic cause of the intermittent faults remains the same--a problem in the connections or a break in one or more of the wires. it is highly unlikely to be an axle or wheel pick-up problem. Those are found in models that are poorly engineered; Blackstone's C-19 and K-27 are probably the best engineered models in the scale railroad industry.

      I posted this very same advice, to check the various wire, plug, and solder connections, weeks ago. Evidently it was more attractive for folks to run out and buy some contact cleaner than it was to apply some simple diagnostic skills--even, I hesitate to suggest, a multimeter--to the situation. I think I'll go back to my test track and run my 100% reliable C-19 for a while...

      Ivan Abrams

    • Robert
      Message 43 of 43 , May 22, 2013
        That's the way I see it too.

        I should add to this that I have run multi-engine analog trains for years on my HO layout, without any problems. I don't see why this should not work in HOn3 as well. The only thing to do is to cover up those headlights. So I tend to keep the multi-engine consists with the same head engine.

        And finally, while sound can be cool for a while, it tends to become annoying in the long run. Particularly since the tiny loudspeakers are no substitute for the real thing.

        But to each his/her own, of course.

        Robert