Re: [HOn3] Re: BS C-19 running issues

    Message 1 of 43 , May 7, 2013
      This is a true confession!

      I was one of these modelers - too many locos, too old to change, too
      many wires to switch, and no "DCC friendly turnouts!

      The truth was I was just being closed minded - maybe just lazy! Most of
      my suspected fears were unfounded. Once you go to DCC its a whole new
      world of model railroading.

      Jim Vail

      > Christopher, I've seen many modelers like you preach the same tune, and
      > later convert to DCC. DCC is like marriage, it has a lot of frustrations,
      > but the benefits outweigh the hassels....LOL
      > jc
      >
      > It seems to me that this fancy new-fangled DCC stuff may be a bit more
      > of a
      > hassle than it's worth. How many posts have I seen in here about passenger
      > car decoders not working right, or balky locomotives? And this isn't
      > even a
      > dedicated DCC group! Sure, it simplifies track wiring, but as I have
      > seen on
      > this group several times, it adds multiple new layers of complexity
      > that are
      > much more difficult to figure out than with standard DC. Sure, sound is
      > great, lighting functions are neat-O keen, being able to consist multiple
      > locos on one train is the bee's knees, but I doubt that I will be
      > going for
      > anything DCC in the near future. I can't see spending a few hundred
      > dollars
      > on DCC cab equipment for my small layout, plus anywhere from 20 to 100
      > dollars or more for decoders for all my engines, passenger cars, cabooses,
      > turnouts and whatever else can be hooked in, plus all the hours spent
      > converting the layout from DC to DCC, plus all the hours spent hooking in
      > the decoders and cram ming them into my teeny weeny locos and getting
      > their
      > programs right, plus more hours spent trying to figure out why some or all
      > of it ain't working. I see too much troubleshooting time and frustration
      > with all that. If that's a part of the hobby that you like, go for it. As
      > for me, for the forseeable future, I will be sticking with plain old
      > DC and
      > having more time to play trains. Keep it simple, stupid.
      >
      > My Two Cents worth
      >
      > Christopher Bisset, Brass Hat
      > PB&J Railroad (HO/HOn3 and now 2.5" scale) Baird, Texas, USA

    • Robert
      Message 43 of 43 , May 22, 2013
        That's the way I see it too.

        I should add to this that I have run multi-engine analog trains for years on my HO layout, without any problems. I don't see why this should not work in HOn3 as well. The only thing to do is to cover up those headlights. So I tend to keep the multi-engine consists with the same head engine.

        And finally, while sound can be cool for a while, it tends to become annoying in the long run. Particularly since the tiny loudspeakers are no substitute for the real thing.

        But to each his/her own, of course.

        Robert