Image of D&RGW 342 from 1920s

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2013
      Jerry - Thanks from me also for that photo. Photos that show the context or surroundings of the subject are to me the most valuable whether for modeling or simply historical study. Image quality is not so important in a photo like this since data on the exact appearance of each piece of equipment in the photo is already available to us.
      You raise an interesting point about the 1920's and photographic history. I've run into the same issue in researching other railroads and associated industries. It's like the 1920's were a sort of historic blackout time with the exception of subjects of interest to newspaper photographers.
      It's interesting to reflect on how various technological changes in image capture as well as cultural changes in the way we use and value images have gone on over the past 300 years. Each stage has a profound effect on the resource material we have to study, understand and reproduce history. I wonder if anybody in recent times has published a book on this subject. It would be a good subject for scholarly work in academia at a number of levels.
      Ed Weldon

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Day" <jerry474@...> wrote:
      > The 20s are about the least photographed of the D&RGW and RGS. The earlier photographers like Jackson and Beam were gone or retired and the later guys like Kindig, Thode, etc. had not started. Perry took a few but had to ride the trains in those days and mostly shot in the terminals rather than out on the line.
      > Jerry Day
    • Jerry Day
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2013
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <23.weldon@...> wrote:

        > Jerry - Thanks from me also for that photo. Photos that show the context or surroundings of the subject are to me the most valuable whether for modeling or simply historical study.

        This photo will be the book I will be doing on the Crested Butte branch. Many of the photos in the book were taken by railroad crews using cheap, poor quality cameras, but are all we have. The subject matter in these photos out weighs the quality issues. I have a number of photos of Ingoldsby dump cars at Crested Butte and only one of these cars on the D&RG has been published before.

        D&RGW crew men did not take a lot of photos as film was expensive, they thought the railroad would be there forever, and they would be kidded by the others if they took too many photos of the trains.

        Jerry Day
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2013
          Does anybody know if there are any D&RGW 5900 series stock car bodies still around? Was just thinking about it would be nice to have a restored example of this car to examine or even see operate. I suppose I'm not the only one to have this thought?

          Bob Emmett
        • Studedudeus
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2013
            Yes. There is one being restored in Antonito, CO. by the Friend of the C&TS. Intentions are to return it to operation. I don't know the overall timeframe, but these things take time, and I'd guess it will be a couple more years till it's completed.

            Hope this helps.
            Phil

            --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <bobemmett@...> wrote:

            > Does anybody know if there are any D&RGW 5900 series stock car bodies still around? Was just thinking about it would be nice to have a restored example of this car to examine or even see operate. I suppose I'm not the only one to have this thought?
            >
            > Bob Emmett

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2013
              Bob,

              I understand that there were three found of which I assume this was one.

              Mark K
            • David Barron

                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2013
                  On 05/06/2013 12:09 PM, David Barron wrote:
                  > I wonder what the average construction time was on the original stock cars.
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > Yes. There is one being restored in Antonito, CO. by the Friend of the
                  > C&TS. Intentions are to return it to operation. I don't know the overall
                  > timeframe, but these things take time, and I'd guess it will be a couple
                  > more years till it's completed.

                  I believe the Narrow Gauge Pictorial covering D&RGW box cars reproduces an
                  account of a competitive car rebuilding that took place during the 1920s rebuild
                  of the 3000 series cars. That should give a fair minimum time, made under good
                  conditions.

                  John Stutz
                • Tim Mulina BHI
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2013
                    Bob,

                    Yes there are a few that have been located in farmers fields in the past few
                    years. AS the other guys have noted, the Friends are restoring one in
                    Antonito. We have the photos of it as is for a Quick Pic Book. Dan Pyzel of
                    the Friends IIRC is the guy who was lucky enough to shovel out decades of
                    cow manure from the inside of the car once it was in Antonito.

                    When speaking to Vic Stone who is the de facto expert on D&RGW Stock Cars
                    about the cars, he brought up the point that the biggest challenge to them
                    today was that as far as he knew there was only a single original door. So
                    we got pictures of it as well for the book.

                    It differs from the door on the 5500-5849 series 30' stock cars in that the
                    door is divided in half for the 5900's instead of thirds for the outer
                    wooden chevron braces that is the way they are on the 5500 cars.

                    Hope this helps and keep watching for the book. It will be announced here
                    and on all the other scale/road correct yahoo groups when it comes out. It
                    is getting close to the top of the list to produce.

                    Best,

                    Tim Mulina
                    BHI Publications
                    http://www.quickpicbooks.com/