Re: [HOn3] Re: replacment for DioSol

  • Peter Sutton
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
      Hi guys:
      The reason Xylene is being banned is because it is nasty... If you are buying it by the gallon I hope you have a good respirator...

      Good luck, Peter in Canada
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
        Xylene was THE major constituent of DioSol way back when in orginal format.. You should be able to pick up a can at your local ACE hardeware. Heck we can get it in the UK via post and we're in the sanctimonious EU.

        Mark K
      • ablecynic
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
          I concur with Jim's assessment. I have been using lacquer thinner for almost 10 years and if you go one step up from 'wash thinner' you can use it with the older Floquil paints as a thinner without any problems. I have even used it to resuscitate some older dried up bottles of Floquil with good success.

          Matt

          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:

          I use lacquer thinner. The stuff from the hardware store around here
          (California) is getting pretty watered down. Lately I've beeen buying
          it at the automotive paint supply - I get "wash thinner" because there
          are several more exotic grades of lacquer thinner used in painting cars
          that are probably more expensive.

        • alco985
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
            Thanks for all the replys to my question. Deb Fifield

          • JOHN SPRATLEY
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2013
              Hi Guys. Several years ago, here in the UK, I used to supply a substitute for Dio-Sol,(called "Toadasol"), as Dio-Sol was very expensive and hard to find.  I had a local Solvent Supply company, annalise a sample, and they came up with a formula of  85-90% Xylene, and 10-15% Petroleum Distilate. It worked very well, and was about 25% of the imported DioSol price!.
              Hope this Helps!
              John.therailtoad!