Re: [HOn3] replacment for DioSol

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
      On 4/29/2013 6:21 PM, alco985 wrote:

      > What are you guys using since Dio-Sol is not sold anymore? Thanks, Deb
      > Fifield

      I use lacquer thinner. The stuff from the hardware store around here
      (California) is getting pretty watered down. Lately I've beeen buying
      it at the automotive paint supply - I get "wash thinner" because there
      are several more exotic grades of lacquer thinner used in painting cars
      that are probably more expensive.

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
        Hi Deb,

        If you lookup the chemical content of a bunch of different paint thinners through their MSDS sheets you'd see that the base ingredient to all of them is xylene. I did this when I had the same question you did. The lowest I saw was 80% xylene. Most were much higher and close to 100%. The remainder of the product was additives for flow, drying time, etc.

        I've been buying 100% xylene thinner from my automotive paint supplier for at least a decade. It's about $20/gallon. I do a LOT of painting and a gallon will last me 5+ years. I thin Floquil and Humbrol paint with no problems. It sprays well and works fine for airbrush cleanup. Sadly, I think this is banned or almost banned in Canada because of the VOCs. I should see about stocking up before it's gone.

        You'd be fine with any good quality thinner as Jim mentioned. If you want to be safe, just buy some xylene. BTW, Floquil sells retarder if you want to adjust the flow and drying time. A little bit of retarder does wonders with painting brass engines.

        Craig Symington
        http://www.riograndesouthern.com/

        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "alco985" <debraann985@...> wrote:

        > What are you guys using since Dio-Sol is not sold anymore? Thanks, Deb Fifield

      • KP
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
          I have been using an equal mixture of toluene and xylene. I obtain pint cans of each and mix together and then pour the mix back into the cans and label. Remember to store and use safely this mixture if you make it.

          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "alco985" <debraann985@...> wrote:

          > What are you guys using since Dio-Sol is not sold anymore? Thanks, Deb Fifield

        • Peter Sutton
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
            Hi guys:
            The reason Xylene is being banned is because it is nasty... If you are buying it by the gallon I hope you have a good respirator...

            Good luck, Peter in Canada
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
              Xylene was THE major constituent of DioSol way back when in orginal format.. You should be able to pick up a can at your local ACE hardeware. Heck we can get it in the UK via post and we're in the sanctimonious EU.

              Mark K
            • ablecynic

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
                  Thanks for all the replys to my question. Deb Fifield

                • JOHN SPRATLEY
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2013
                    Hi Guys. Several years ago, here in the UK, I used to supply a substitute for Dio-Sol,(called "Toadasol"), as Dio-Sol was very expensive and hard to find.  I had a local Solvent Supply company, annalise a sample, and they came up with a formula of  85-90% Xylene, and 10-15% Petroleum Distilate. It worked very well, and was about 25% of the imported DioSol price!.
                    Hope this Helps!
                    John.therailtoad!