Re: [HOn3] Re: trucks for HOn3 cars with pin bolsters

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
      On 4/24/2013 10:23 AM, Hart Corbett wrote:

      > E&B is long out of business; I don't know who might have ended up
      > swith their dies.

      The E&B stock cars were designed and the dies made by Bill Gould. The
      stock cars are now sold by Model Railroad General Store. They are nice
      because you can build them with any of 4 different prototype side board
      configurations. MRGS sells on ebay.

      > In all cases (even the brass caboose) I changed the cars' total
      > weights to pretty much match what Blackstone uses for their HOn3
      > freight rolling stock. . . . 1.6 to 1.8 ounces (U.S.). I do not use
      > the NMRA recommended weights for HOn3 freight rolling stock. I use
      > small pieces of sheet lead to correct the cars' weights. In a direct
      > conversation with Jim Vail last weekend, I learned that he does the
      > same thing with his older cars.

      I actually attempt to weight all my kit built cars between 1.1 and 1.5
      oz. Some of the ready -to -run cars weigh in to 1.7 or 1.8 oz. - but
      others are down to 1.3 to 1.4 oz.

      > The Grandt Line high side gondolas look much like the Blackstones.

      Grandt Line makes the C&S gondolas (coal cars) similar to the Micro
      Trains ready-to-run (kind of) gondolas. Durango Press (now part of JL
      Innovative) makes the high side gondolas that model the same cars as the
      Blackstone gondolas. These were originally produced by Clear Creek
      Engineering.

      > So try the Blackstone trucks, mounted with the screw techniques, and
      > you should be very happy with the result!

      I like the Blackstone and Micro Trains trucks too but I also run plenty
      of Grandt trucks - they're good too.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
        On 4/24/2013 6:32 PM, Ray wrote:

        > John, What's the name of this MicroMark tool. Or the number? I have
        > not been able to find it on their website.
        > Ray

        Not exactly what you are asking for, but at the moment Micro Mark has a
        set of small taps and the appropriate tap drills on sale.

      • Harold Huber
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
          Hart,
          E&B Valley is now Model Railroad General Store.
          Harold

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
            > The E&B stock cars were designed and the dies made by Bill Gould. The
            > stock cars are now sold by Model Railroad General Store. They are nice
            > because you can build them with any of 4 different prototype side board
            > configurations.

            The point here is that few if any 5500 series stock cars and their 34 foot brothers, the 5900ers, had much similarity between them. The point between Blackstone cars is that they are all the same irrespective of numbering- in real life the boards move around, especially the number and tare boards!. The MRRGS (former E&B) allow for a variatiom of the theme as indeed the PSC 34 foot kits do in a stock train. Vic Stone, a UK enthusiast (and boy is that an understatement!!) has written a book on the variations. Titled 'Taking Stock'it will get you all the info you need. Being out of print it fetches some serious money.

            Mark K
          • Hart Corbett
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
              John S. is right. As he says, look in he MicroMark website for for Bulls Eye Drill Jig. MicroMark indicates that it is for repairing sagging couplers on Athearn cars. It certainly appears that is can be used on almost any car.

              Coincidentally, there is an article in the May 2013 issue of NMRA Magazine about repairing couplers on Athern cars using this jig, which is manufactured by A-Line. In the same small package with the jig, is a tap for a 2-56 hole. A separately sold package contains just a no. 50 drill. Another separately sold package contains 50 short, black 2-56 x 1/8 screws. And another separately sold package contains 12 metal coupler covers for Athern cars.

              The only difference between the contents of A-Line's single package that contains just the jig and the 2-56 tap is that the Micro Mark package has just the jig and 6 screws but no tap. Most modelers could scare up a no. 50 drill bit and a 2-56 tap.

              With best regards, Hart