Re: [HOn3] Re: Harp switch stands.

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 23, 2013
      We use SPC (Central Pacific) style harp stands to throw 3' gauge stub switches
      at the Railroad Museum in Ardenwood Regional Park, Newark CA. If you are ever
      in the area, come out and look them over. The park is open year round, normally
      10:00AM-4:00PM, but closed on Mondays. If you ask the train crew, they may let
      you try throwing one.

      The real problem is with the stub switches. Rails expand under the hot sun, and
      if clearances are small when cold, they may jam in the head blocks. Rails may
      also walk over time, closing the clearances. When a rail jams, it can take a
      large man's full weight, hanging from the mast with feet on the stand, to shift
      the swing rails. I've done it often enough, usually during our Fall Rail Fair
      when we had to keep traffic moving while working on the switch.

      I suspect that a geared rotary stand gives greater leverage, and that when
      throwing it one is pushing against the ground, with greater force than can be
      had by hanging from a harp stand's mast.

      John Stutz
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 24, 2013
        We have a 3-way stub switch (std gauge)and harp stand at CA State RR Museum in Sacramento. It is on tracks leading from CPPS (used for equipment storeage). This switch has to be used many times during a week (guess 200-300+ times per year). No problems with a single person operating it with the exception of VERY hot days (temps in 100 F range) - as John described expansion can bind things up!
        Tom Peterman